Team USA/Olympics

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by max, Jul 25, 2008.

1. CarlosGallan

CarlosGallan First Round Draft Pick

Spectacular usa team today,Wade is your mvp but all the team is defendeding very well. Chris Paul is not future, is your present starter PG.

Good luck Saturday¡¡¡¡¡¡
    Pau "Gasoft"and brother in the preolympic final vs Dream team III:gun1:

*Baby Shaqu would Be a good adittion last ECF against Celtics,the player who pistons lack last finals.
  2. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I'm not feeling the hype about Baby Shaq. He's built more like Baby Oliver Miller.

:eatpizza: :doener: (he must be putting down a bunch of Greek kabobs)

Wade is definitely the MVP of the tourney so far for the US. He sparked the huge 2nd quarter run that was the main difference today, along with Bosh. It's very impressive that Wade is doing this without the bailout calls he's used to getting in the NBA. Oddly enough, the one thing he did badly today was brick a lot of FTs, only 4-9.

This was a very impressive "statement game." It started off very shaky for the US, with Kidd committing 3 fouls in the first 90 seconds! They were behind for a lot of the first quarter before going up 4 by the end. Then the 2nd quarter was the difference, with a huge US run to take a 19 point lead at the half. Second half was closer to even, with a 23 point final margin.

The fact that the Chinese fans are so into these NBA guys was definitely helpful during that big run. The crowd was going crazy on all the highlight plays, and I'm sure that helped keep the US guys pumped up and going for the kill while they were on a roll. Being up 19 at the half was certainly a bigger deal than being up 12 or 13 would have been, with a slight chance still there for a Greece comeback.

Another big test on Saturday against Spain, but the US passed their first real one today with flying colors.
  3. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Uh, synchronized diving?

Who's idea was that?
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Glynny with 2 points and nothing else! Wow. They didn't stop him, but they managed to contain him.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm glad that the Men's bball team isn't whining about the opposing players being 13 years old after a loss. That would be pretty weak sauce.
  6. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Probably some nerd who develops internet sport forums.
  7. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Just kidding Roscoe. You know I wuv ya. :pound::pound::pound:
  8. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Excuse me you guys but could you tell me where you are watching these basketball games? I have the most complicated schedule from the newspaper but other than the opener with China I haven't seen any Team USA basketball games.
    My schedule and the nbcolympics.com site refer to something called the Basketball Channel, but I have Comcast and I can't find it on my tv. The Basketball Channel???WTH? It's not NBATV because I get that and I haven't found any Olympic basketball on there.

Oh and dba, I was a springboard and tower diver in college (a long long time ago) and competed on a national level. I'm not sure when they incorporated synchronized diving but I think it's the stupidest idea in the world and I love diving! How can it be a sport? I mean by that reasoning you could synchronize any sport. Synchronized gymnastics, sychronized discus throwing, whatever.

I think that the World Diving Federation (yes, it exists) came up with the idea because they wanted more than 2 springboard and 2 tower events. It doubles the amount of medals that can be won in diving in any Olympics. It's really stupid when they get good scores on poor dives because they did them in such "synchronicity." "Well, Cynthia, they landed flat on their backs with a HUGE splash but they were perfectly together doing it." Just say no.

Anyway, if anyone has an actual schedule or a link to the Olympic basketball I would really appreciate it. The only games my guide give me are repeats on USA at 2am-2pm or something.
  9. dba

There could be synchronized shot putters, but they could face each other across a field and you get points for not flinching and...

Everynow and then you have to let the inner 13 year old out.
  10. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I think the game yesterday was on USA, there are about 4 different channels that show the games throughout the day.
  11. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

About as dumb as beach volleyball. There's only one reason that sport gets so much air time.
  12. ggazoo69

I stayed up late last night to watch the women's gymnastics and was glad to see two American women take the gold and silver. I was irritated that the father of the winner, Nastia Liukin, made this comment (and I paraphrase): "There is only one color medal that is acceptable in our home. Gold." I thought the silver medalist, Shawn Johnson, was very gracious in "defeat." But why shouldn't she be? A silver medal is a great accomplishment. A bronze medal is a great accomplishment. Competing in the Olympics is a great accomplishment. I hate how the media downplays anything but gold. I also hate how these parents live vicariously through their children. Get a life. Hopefully, Nastia Liukin can have a life now.

I'm trying to ascertain who the worst commentators and announcers are for NBC at these Games. At this point, I'm going to go with Dan Hicks, who calls the swimming. He frequently says so and so "settled for the silver" or "settled for the bronze." Hicks sucks on NBC golf, too. He's always trying to make clever puns and falls flat on his azz every time.
  13. dba

I played volleyball for years, including a lot of what we now call beach volleyball (i.e., two people per team), and I have to agree with you. It's a very monotonous sport to watch and to play. I prefer team volleyball where there is some actual strategy other than to serve the weaker hitter.

Yeah, it's weird the fetish people seem to have for sand.
  14. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

I figure you fence in the beach volleyball court and add some cattle to the game. Players must still play in their bare feet. Rebounds off cattle are ok.....That's how they play beach volleyball in Wyoming.
  15. ggazoo69

Now you're talking!
  16. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I actually am getting that Olympics basketball channel, maybe it just depends on what cable system you have. The US-Greece game was live on the USA network, and I think US-Spain will be on NBC on Saturday morning.
  17. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I watched it too, it was great seeing those girls win. Johnson needed a really good score in her last event to get the silver, and she pulled it off. Liukin won big, and apparently the judges had been pretty unfair to her on an earlier event, so she might have won by even more if that hadn't happened.

Liukin's parents were both Russian gymnasts, and (Wikipedia to the rescue) her dad (who's also her coach) won a team gold in '88 along with several silvers in the individual competition, including the all-around. It does sound pretty arrogant to say "There is only one color medal that is acceptable in our home. Gold," although there's a slight chance that he was just trying to say, "I always wanted her to do even better than I did." But, yeah, gymnastics parents aren't exactly a group of people I'd recommend turning to for parenting advice.
  18. ggazoo69

Much of the media are reporting that Liukin's gold vindicated her father from 20 years ago, who barely missed a gold in the all-around. You're right, D4E, it doesn't mean the family perceives it that way. Everything we get from the media is filtered so I was probably jumping the gun a little in ripping her father. I hope he wanted her to win the gold for herself and her whole family and not so much just because he missed out on it 2 decades ago.

To me, this idea of training your whole life for four short routines is hard to grasp. When parents say, "We have worked so hard for this," it makes me shake my head and wonder if it's worth altering a normal childhood over the long-shot possibility of Olympic gold. To me, it's almost as bad as the government taking a kid away from their family at an early age because of their potential Olympic talent, like they do in China and other countries.

Makes me love the movie "Searching for Bobby Fischer." It's just a movie, of course, but those parents nearly gave in to the whole "our kid can be the best in the world" mentality. In the end, the parents opted for balance and the kid was better off because of it.
  19. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

actually the most fun i have had playing volleyball from a competive nature... mind you i am/was a 5'7'' 110lb floor diving fool, is what we called walleyball. Not sure if its widespread or not.

It's played in a racketball court and you can hit off the side walls and your own back wall, talk about fun... you can play with 2's on a side or up to 6 on a side though that gets a bit crowded. The power spike game is still good but so is the english game off the walls. oh yea the ball was the size of a volleyball but made of the same material as a racketball.
  20. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

That sort of stuff certainly does happen, but it might have been different in Lukin's case. During the broadcast last night, the announcers were saying that her parents weren't sure they wanted her to get involved in gymnastics when she was a little girl, but they let her go ahead because she was so talented and so passionate about it. This article has some more details.