Team USA/Olympics

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by max, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

Bronze is worth a house

Afghan earns prize after winning his nation's first medal

Detroit News wire services

BEIJING -- In Rohullah Nikpai's war-torn country, fighting is a part of life. Living in tough conditions is a given. Training for the Olympics is a luxury few can afford, or even imagine.
    But Nikpai has proven it can be done: On Wednesday he won Afghanistan's first Olympic medal.
    "I hope this will send a message of peace to my country after 30 years of war," Nikpai said after winning the bronze in the men's under 58-kilogram taekwondo event.
    The victory brought immediate congratulations from President Hamid Karzai.
    "The president personally called Rohullah Nikpai and congratulated him for this achievement," presidential spokesman Humayun Hamidzada said.
    For his accomplishment, Nikpai will be given a house at the government's expense, Hamidzada said.
    Nikpai, he said, serves as a "role model for many other Afghans."
    Back home, the news sparked applause, wide smiles and laughter in homes, restaurants and ice cream parlors around the country.
    "When I saw that he won, I jumped up and hugged and kissed my son," said Noor Ahmad Gayezabi, a former teammate of Nikpai's who had a lucky few hours of electricity that allowed him to watch on the family's small TV with his 13-year-old son.
    Nikpai's accomplishment led all of Afghanistan's evening newscasts.
    "I am so happy. I cannot express my feelings in words," said Mohammad Akbar, 33, who watched the match on a TV at his Kabul pharmacy. "While I was watching the match I was clapping I was so happy."
    The victory comes at an especially difficult time.
    Afghanistan was under high alert Monday for fear of attacks coinciding with Independence Day, and the capital, Kabul, has had limited electricity. So following the Olympics has been a challenge for Afghans who care.
    But Nikpai, who is 21, has claimed a spot among his sport's elite.
    He won the medal with a stunning victory over taekwondo world champion Juan Antonio Ramos of Spain.
    With success came better training conditions.
    After being selected for the national team six months ago, he has been able to use a special gym.
    "My training situation is a lot like the situation in my country," he said. "It's not good."
    Along with the president's offer of a house, Nikpai's bronze medal also brings him a $50,000 prize (U.S.) from a mobile phone company in Afghanistan.

WOW...
  2. detteam

detteam All-Star

She may have come in almost dead-last in the javelin throw, but I like Leryn Franco's form :D

[​IMG]
    The mystery of the hot Paraguayan -- solved! - Fourth-Place Medal - Olympics - Yahoo! Sports
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Photos from Yahoo! Sports coverage of the Summer Olympics in Beijing
  3. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Just got done watching USA volleyball win the gold with DollHouse-er. Although he is great, I'm salivating at the thought of Rasheed and Tayshaun playing those two guys. I bet with a few months of coaching Rasheed and Tayshaun could give them a serious run for their money. Saw the other day mens volleyball where every player I think was white. I couldn't help but think this would be a great sport for black athletes to get into. We have some seriously tall, extremely athletic black athletes that I think could dominate. It is alot of fun to play. I realize the sport has been associated with females, but usually guys that use that as an excuse haven't seriously played, and do not know what they are missing.
  4. detteam

detteam All-Star

NBA guys couldn't deal the game without palming the volleyball.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I was sort of thinking the same thing. They play a sport that rewards height... and most of the athletic tall guys comitted themselves to basketball. Kevin Garnett would probably be perfect for this sport. He's tall, quick, he can jump, and he's competitive as heck.

It's strange how effective the little taps are in beach volleyball. I guess that would reward quickness over pure height. So maybe a guy like Sheed wouldn't be as good.
  6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Someone please tell me what is going on with the USA track & field sprinters? First the women get shut out of the 100 meter dash by the Jamaican women who swept the Gold, Silver and Bronze...The Men lose out on the gold by getting left in the dust by Usain Bolt in both the 100 and 200 meter finals. Two US trackers move up when one of their countrymen and a runner for another team steps out of their lanes. The Jamaican women also grab the Gold and Bronze in the 200 meters

USA womens 110 meter hurdle fav Lolo Jones trips over the second to the last hurdle as she is leading with the gold medal her for the taking with less than 20 meters away .

But the ultimate embarrassment was both the mens and womens 4 by 100 meter relay teams both drop the batons in the 3rd and anchor person exchange mishap. Look for the Jamaicans to add two more golds in these categories to the four they have already picked up for the sprints. Funny quote of the night from Bob Costa's as he pointed out the USA had USA written out in magic maker on their bibs...:)

The only saving grace for the night at the Birds Nest was the 400 meter US team sweeping that event. (Although Silver medalist Jeremy Wariner wasn't to happy with his second place finish).
  7. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

LOL. Buckeyes have you even seen Chris Rock's 3rd HBO special called Never Scared? Your post reminded me of it. He says that black men have dominated all the major sports and will continue to do so. Then he says "Once they figure out how to heat a hockey rink, we're going to take that s**t too."

I watched alot of the beach volleyball this time around and I thought it was very entertaining. I think the guys should have to wear tiny little Speedos though just to be fair. Misty May and Kerry Walsh were...well, not very clothed. Of course their beautiful bodies contributed to the whole mystique of it all, but it hardly seemed fair that they had to concern themselves with bikini issues and then the men are dressed in huge baggy uniforms, just like our NBA players.

The other thing I object too is the constant emphasis in gymnastics and diving on more and more somersaults and twists. There is hardly a second in these routines to admire their grace, beauty and general loveliness. I'd take Nadia Comaneci over all these present day gymnasts and Greg Louganis over all these 4.5 somersault 3.5 twist divers anyday. Sometimes more is less especially in the artistic sports.

Yeah I'd love to see Sheed and Tay against the Professor and the Thin Beast. Sheed would be walking over and arguing with that ref in the little chair though! He might not make it past the first set if the ref kept sending him over to that little double beach chair they sit in in the timeouts!
  8. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

A few of the commentators were blaming the US track and field performance on a "lack of leadership at the top." Also they they are all working with their own personal coaches and no one is on the same page. It's been a poor showing.
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I swear, this forum has something for everyone, and is loaded with all sorts of interesting characters. It's like you are speaking another language.

At the government's expense.... YEAH RIGHT! ;)
  10. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

Felt bad for the ladies in the 4x100 as they dropped the baton on the final handoff with a good fifteen meter lead. Jeremy Walker just got beat by his own teammate. Favorite part was the sprinter who dove across the finish line for the Bronze. Seemed like the handoffs lacked teamwork and tecnuque.
  11. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Sheed would probably yank that guy's chair down before the end of the first set.
  12. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

USA-Argentina is about to start in the basketball semifinals. I hope they keep cruising, and then it would be Spain again in the final (Spain just beat Lithuania in the first semi).

This preview from ESPN is amusing because I guess I didn't realize how many Pistons (current or former) are in the mix for Argentina these days:

Is the US about to dodge a bullet in not having to face Pepe Sanchez?
  13. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Is there anywhere on the web to watch this game?
  14. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

NBC Olympics

You will probably have to do the free sign up first.
  15. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

It was a good game. Scola was lighting us up. Tay didn't play much. We are moving on the the gold medal game. that's all that matters. Go USA!!!!!!!!!!! I did like the cuban volleyball players w/all that booty!!
  16. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

ARG played their hearts out after the 1st quarter, but w/o Ginobli not enough firepower to make it a real game. The US went 3 ball happy against the zone. Delfino and Kobe got into it LOL

bla . . . on to the gold medal game vs. soft Spain
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Delfino with a pretty good showing today. 2nd highest scorer and rebounder for ARG with 17 points, 7 boards. He made 3 threes.

Scola went bananas though. 28 points (13-21), 12 boards, and 2 blocks against the US Olympic Team? That is pretty awesome.

If Yao avoids injury this year, they are my pick. Yao/TMac/Scola/Artest/ Alston? With Battier off the bench? That is a crazy team.
  18. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Agreed. The only sticking point is chemistry.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Also, Yao's body has shown a pattern of crumbling under his own weight. For his sake, I hope that it has all be coincidental and it won't keep happening.
  20. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I didn't think the U.S. team played that well against Argentina. Can't believe Delfino did so well and when the U.S. team started jacking up 3's, I was looking for Flip Saunders on the sideline.