Terrico White at #36

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Laimbrane, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

My problem with the pick is that I really wanted them to get Jarvis Varnado, who I see as Ben Wallace #2 and would have played a lot for them this year. But then again, I don't scout, and I wasn't there for the workouts, and I should know better than to get my heart stuck on someone the Pistons won't take. *sigh*

I suspect this means Joe isn't done with his guard rotation and plans on either not resigning Bynum or trading Rip, or both.

2. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

dumars cleraly has expressed his desire to resign Bynum but there is a good chance that somebody overpays to bynum a la mike james and bye bye.

3. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

At least not with Laimbrane. Dude hates White's. :MusicBigGrin:

4. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

At the end of the day, I'd rather have this guy be the 5th guard off the bench than Chucky.

5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Fair enough
    OK, that's a stretch to say the least.
    At 6'9" and a measley 210lbs....umm...NO, no he wouldn't.

6. buffaloBRAVE

buffaloBRAVE First Round Draft Pick

no disrespect, I know you been on here much longer than me but any pistons fan can see we have a greater need for a big than a combo guard. The fact of the matter is Bynum is a restricted FA and he IS part of the team.

And why not inquire about the possibility of trading up for a second round pick, it has been done a million times before, teams do it every year in every sport, so why not.

Bottom line for me is I'd rather give something up for a shot at a big with some upside rather than draft a dime a dozen combo guard who most likely wont even make the team.

Who has a better chance of staying in the league, making it in the league or even excelling in the league, Whiteside or White?

In my humble opinion the answer is whiteside

7. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

All I can say is... rock-financial solid pick! Joe Dumars definitely scored a "3" pointer in this draft!

8. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

whiteside was drafted at 33... so not an option.. there are no real options that late in the draft that would be a for sure fire player to even make the 15 man roster, getting a guard that was suppose to go alot earlier is fine with me.

grab a couple of projects for summe league and see if one of them stick.

I'm happy with the Draft, as no trades were really made... don't think Joe had a decent shot at making one. I really think alot of trades will happen later this summer though, after the pins start to fall teams will have a better understanding of what they need to round out a team, Rip might just be that final piece a team is looking for and White now goes from unneeded to a player that we use.

9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

None taken

All fine and dandy, but how do you (or anyone else for that matter) KNOW Joe wasn't trying to make that happen? No disrespect, BUT, unless someone was in the room and KNOWS what Joe did or did not do, have a Coke, and a smile, and a seat....LOL...

10. buffaloBRAVE

^^^^^^^

just because joe D. didn't make a move, does not mean he couldn't make a move. The guy got drafted three slots ahead, are you telling me that the draft slot was not open to trade discussion if a team really wanted it,that's bogus. It's a second round pick and their swapped every year, lol.

Fine you guys can be happy with Terrico White, for the record I say they should have made a move for Whiteside.

11. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

but maybe OTHERS were targetin that whiteside dude too and did not want to give their draft slot away?

12. buffaloBRAVE

well it is possible that others were just not willing to talk, but there is no way anybody is going to convince me that terrico white makes the pistons better, I'm not buying it (taking a sip of my pepsi, lol)

13. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

I may be extremely biased pistons fan but I do not thik that #36 pick can make this team remarkably worse.

14. buffaloBRAVE

haha, i guess thats one way to look at it.

15. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't see the point in getting too upset over a 2nd round pick to be honest.

Here are the 2nd round guys who are currently making meaningful contributions in the league. And even some of these a barely worth a mention.
    2009 - Jerebko, Blair, M.Thornton, Budinger
    2008 - Chalmers, Mbah a Moute, Douglas-Roberts
    2007 - Landry, G.Davis, M.Gasol
    2006 - Millsap, C.Smith

The odds are very slim that many 2nd rounders will be strong contributors.

16. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

he was also spoken as a long shot for us at 7.... he slid into the 30's must have been alot of teams not thinking his upside outweighed his red flags.. I really don't see him as a player who is going to be able to bang in the paint, just seems like a small framed tall 4 to me, but I'm just a fan and don't make it my job to judge talent.

17. NTC

NTC First Round Draft Pick

I agree.

It will play out like this (as it always does with a second round pick), the kid will be a bust, and no one will be too surprised, OR, the kid will turn out to be a stud, Joe D will look like a genius, and we'll all be singing his praises.

We won't know which direction this pick will take until the kid is out on the court, who knows, maybe we have a Gilbert Arenas or Monta Ellis on our hands? We just don't know until we see him on the court.

I don't mind the pick for those reasons above, but that said, I'm not holding high hopes, but hey, surprise me.

18. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

PISTONS: High Five

In the midst of singing odes to dumars - that's what silvertongue usually does - one little fact was revealed:

19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

So Joe drafted a guy they didn't work out, and who fell 10 to 20 spots?

Wunderbar!

20. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Exactly! Sorry but I don't believe teams should draft based on need....especially in the second round. At least if you have a lottery pick any of the guys can become good players whether they be guards, forwards, or centers.

In the Second round only a few guys usually pan out. Like I've said before, not everyone is a Michael Redd/Gilbert Arenas/Ginobili story, so as a GM you must draft the guy with the most upside.

If Joe thought White had the most upside then I'm happy with the pick. And its foolish to believe he could have went up 3 picks and got Whiteside. This isn't a video game where you can easily make a trade. Other teams want to win too (well except the Grizzlies).

The only thing I feel like we can be frustrated about is the Pistons deciding to win those last few games of the season, but even that is ridiculous to me. Maybe we could have got a Cousins but at least the team had the attitude to still win games. That sort of character and leadership can carry over and thats what this Pistons team needs. We're not a LA or Boston type franchise where we can rebuild in a few years. This team needs to build up season after season if we want a chance at another championship.