Terrico White at #36

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Laimbrane, Jun 24, 2010.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Just a couple other notables:

2008- Sonny Weems started 19 games this year for Tor.
    Dragic played in 80 games and averaged almost 20 minutes for the Suns.

2007- Ramon Sessions is doing OK. Started 40 games last year and played in all 82 games this year.

2006- Boobie Gibson, Leon Powe.

It seems like the 2nd half of the 2nd round doesn't yield much. 31-45 seem like they have a 10% chance of becoming a starter on their first contract and a 40% chance of becoming a contributor off the bench.

I'm sure this stat has been researched, but that's my ball park estimate from eyeballing it.

2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I say Joe D is learning from his mistakes. Remember when he drafted a guy (YKW) based solely on his workout?

3. BillLaimbeer

I will go on record and say that Terrico White will be the STEAL OF THE 2010 DRAFT.

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Low cost, high reward prediction.

5. buffaloBRAVE

buffaloBRAVE First Round Draft Pick

I think its foolish to think you cant make a move in the second round. When the franchise is pretty much as bad as any team out there right now, your almost obligated to do everything you can to make the team better.

Look, It's not rocket science. The Pistons front court is weak and that is where they need to focus. If you feel that White was the right choice, then so be it, but don't sit there and act like moves can't be made. Their made every year before, during, and after the draft. Your acting like the 33rd pick was untouchable, is that supposed to be a joke or something.

6. buffaloBRAVE

ahhhh, im just getting carried away, i'll stop and jump on the bandwagon.

Terrico White! YES!!!!!!! Wow what a draft! ready for the season to start!

Go Pistons!

7. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe, but I must say this kid has something special. He has got to some good training starting now.

Q will have too force himself to make sure Terrico gets meaningful minutes at the point. When not at the point, then he shares minutes with Gordon at the 2 spot. It would be good to get him 15-20 minutes a night, starting with the first game.

When you get a gift, you need to work it. This means the log-jam at 1-2 leaves someone out. This also means a decision on Bynum. I don't think that JD is secure enough to pull any trigger (and to leap-frog perhaps a series of lottery pick seasons) regarding any finishing deals involving Stuckey. I just don't think he can do it. New ownership is our only hope.

Now, back to Bynum. He will probably like something at the 4+ range and hovering around MLE territory. Just won't happen. He is a backup and that will be his placement forever with the Pistons. He might have a smart Agent who understands and takes something around the 3 year, 10 million mark. This creates a big decision for JD. For me, when you start one weaving on one edge (he could have drafted a two left footed big from the second round and a stash over in Europe), you will inevitably balance on the opposing edge. It is no longer the sharper edge about money, it is a shortened dullness from the erosion of time.

Some good luck and a mixture of personalities. This all helped create a culture emphasizing a form of grit that fitted a certain industrial/institutional outlook. All has changed and you can't go back.

I hope he can change. What he does with Bynum will give me a clue on how is about to balance on that edge.

8. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

You are missing the whole point. It takes two to tango. You are arguing that maybe Joe did not try to move up. Others are arguing that maybe he did and couldn't. The only way one of you could be right is if you were there and heard the phone ring and Joe say "No, I don't want the 33rd pick; I like where I am at."

Maybe they wanted Rip for the 33rd pick? Or Rip and JJ?

9. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Funny you act like Joe was supposed to know that Whiteside was going to be picked 33rd.

If he really wanted Whiteside he would need to trade up to the first round because the King were fortunate he dropped as low as he did.

Tell me what do we have that other teams want right now? Stuckey? We're not giving him up to get a late first round pick. Please enlighten me sir.

10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Exactly. How the hell are we supposed to know what Joe is doing or isn't doing?

11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

12. BillLaimbeer

No it's not. If White is a dud, you can come back and laugh at me (like we laugh at you all the time).

13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

This is how I should have handled your JJ compliment earlier today. Nice job.

14. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

"Overlooked in High School...Overlooked in College...Now overlooked in the league... Motivation...Gotta prove em wrong again.." - Terrico White, Pistons draftee. Now I'm sure even Sam Bernstein would approve of this pick at #36. The time is right to bring it around town and see if there's some hustle behind that muscle.

15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

OK, if everyone agrees that Rip has to go (and in a sense he does) are we suppossed to start the season with Gordon, Stuckey and Bynum as the only guards on the roster? Good pick Joe. If Rip is moved for a big or Capp Spayce we very well may need this guy, plus Joe did well enough in the 2nd rd last year to where he's earned the right to totally crapout this year.

16. buffaloBRAVE

where the h**l is rip going? We have been waiting for him to get moved for two years now, all of a sudden he's getting moved? I think it's pretty obvious the guy is NOT going anywhere.

17. buffaloBRAVE

anyways , like I said, YAY Terrico White!, Lets go Pistons!

18. buffaloBRAVE

Thats why the GM gets paid the big bucks, it's his job to know these things. Eat, sleep, and breathe basketball. I cant believe you guys are acting like that pick was untouchable. If your defense is that the 30th-33rd picks were untouchable, then I cant even debate that because it makes absolutely no sense at all. Everything has a price, and the price for one of those picks couldn't have been that high. 2nd round draft picks are thrown around every year like they have a disease and now all of a sudden their worth their weight in platinum, give me a break.

19. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Look, I like your enthusiasm but I think you're speaking as if we know Joe actually wanted Whiteside. Maybe he just didn't want him. Whiteside obviously slipped in the draft for a reason. He is a clear project who may or may not ever amount to anything more than say a Dan Gadzuric.

All we know is either:
    a) The price for Joe to trade up to get him was too high
    b) No willing partners
    c) Joe may have considered him had he fallen to 36, but didn't rate him enough to trade up.
    d) Joe just didn't rate him at all and may have even passed on him had he fallen to 36.

Unless you ask him, nobody knows. All we can do is focus on who we've got. People who live in a world of hindsight or 'what if's' tend to live in constant frustration.

PS - I don't think anybody here is expecting White to start or be a star, but we'll give him a chance.

20. himat

himat Bench Warmer

My point exactly. Where the hell are any of the players that we are willing to give up going to go? To make these trades to get a higher pick, or to get a good young player another team has to like what they're getting in return.

The only team that is going to take a Rip Hamilton or a Tayshaun Prince is a team close to contending. And even if they do, a deal like that would probably occur closer to the trade deadline.

Yes its there job to figure out at what pick each player will get drafted at but its also other GMs' job to not give away that information. Its foolish to expect Joe would know that Whiteside would still be available in the early second round. And even if he did, like Webz said, maybe he didn't want to invest his pick into another project.