Terrico White at #36

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Laimbrane, Jun 24, 2010.

1. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

FWIW, Darko was rated #2 by Chad Ford before, during and after the draft. Draft grades and rankings are a load of jive.
  2. Brap

Brap Starter

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't like highlight clips. I got all excited about highlights from the 2005 draft. Then I realized, those were the 3 best minutes of a 1000 minute season, and the other 997 minutes probably are closer to what I could expect from a player.

Highlight films deliberately showcase upside and can lead to false expectations.
  4. Brap

Brap Starter

What I look for in highlights is, "do they make me say wow."

Those did. Dude's an amazing athlete.

I want to see more of him. I'd love it if he really could be a point guard. But his athletic talent level is upper tier for PG's, and it looks to me like he's got high level BB skills as well.
  5. Brap

Brap Starter

From ESPN Insider: scouting reports on White. I'm getting REALLY happy about this pick.

May 31 Update: White is one of the draft's best athletes, and he's loaded with skills. It's all about putting those things together on the court. Does he have the motor and the desire to dominate every night? If he did, he'd be a lottery pick. Now the question is, will he bring it often enough to warrant a first-round pick?

May 24 Update: Mississippi's Terrico White shot the lights out on both days at the Chicago pre-draft camp and showed the type of handle that had some scouts calling him a point guard earlier in the year. I know the New Jersey Nets and Memphis Grizzlies both like him in late in the first round. Given his athletic ability and solid measurements, more teams may come around.

May 6 Update: In Chad Ford's first Mock Draft, White went No. 27 to New Jersey. White is an elite athlete who, when he's on, is one of the best guards in the country. The problem is, White has a tendency to disappear in games. If the Nets can get him to play with some consistency, he would be a steal here.

Apr 30 Update, by Fran Fraschilla: There is no doubting White's talent and his NBA-ready body. After a terrific freshman season, in which he was thrust into the point guard role for the Rebels, there were high hopes for White on the part of NBA personnel people. But when junior Chris Warren returned after injuring his knee a year ago, the SEC Freshman of the Year in 2009 took a backseat.

White scares me because he never consistently plays with a high energy level. And for a guy with NBA eyes on him virtually every night, he can be disappointing. When he is on his game he can be an explosive scorer like Baylor's LaceDarius Dunn or Oklahoma State's James Anderson. He is especially effective in the midrange, strong in attacking the rim and a reasonably good, if inconsistent, shooter.

If the big question marks about his inconsistency and his energy level can be answered, and he plays hard night in and night out, his NBA future will brighten. He needs to go back to Ole Miss and put together a dominant junior season.

Apr 27 Update: White is another draft enigma. Some NBA teams have him ranked in the mid-first round. Others have him in the second round. His ability to play the point raises his stock, but he rarely got that opportunity this season and will likely have the same problem if he returns for his junior year. He's probably better off returning to Mississippi. A big season could launch him into the lottery. Right now, the most likely scenario has him going somewhere between 25 and 35.

Apr 13 Update: White is a very interesting prospect. He's an elite athlete who has some scouts enamored with his ability to play the point guard position. Others feel he's more of a straight 2 and have him ranked significantly lower because of it. It will be interesting to see what he does. If he stays, he's got a very good shot of landing in the first round. However, another year at Ole Miss could push him firmly into the lottery.

Mar 12 Update: White had his coming out party in the SEC tournament last year playing point guard. This year he's been stuck at the 2 and hasn't shined the way scouts hoped. He's another guy who's all over draft boards. Some teams have him in the lottery, others in the second round.

Jan 21 Update, by David Thorpe: Ole Miss isn't exactly a mid-major, but the majority of the country hasn't had a chance to see much of White. I watched him play in the SEC tournament last season and I liked him as a point guard. It's not his natural position, but it was clear he likes to play with the ball in his hands much more than off the ball. This year, he still does.

He's playing a lot more shooting guard, but he definitely projects as a combo guard who looks to score. He uses strength to get many of his buckets, flaunts a mature midrange game and is making more than 38 percent of his 3s. I think he can be a much better shooter than that, once he learns to consistently put more arc on what is now typically a very flat shot.

His lack of quickness at this point of his career causes concerns about his ability to defend in the NBA. He does not make as many athletic plays as he should, but enough to make me think that he can improve that part of his game a great deal over the next few years. (As an example, Courtney Lee plays much more athletically now than he did as a senior at Western Kentucky).

White's game resembles O.J. Mayo's in a lot of ways, and Mayo gets it done despite being small as a 2. But Mayo also defends with passion and has become an excellent and smart basketball player. For White to get drafted and succeed down the road, he'll have to develop those talents.

Jan 12 Update: About this time of year I begin casting a pretty wide net with NBA teams to get a feel for how they are ranking the lottery (just about anything past the lottery is a crapshoot at this point). I'll keep that process going for the next few weeks trying to find some sort of consensus. Most rankings are in close alignment with ours. However, one name, Terrico White, popped up with a couple of teams. One team I spoke with had him in their top 10. Another had him ranked at No. 13. Interestingly, both teams had White ranked ahead of Oklahoma's Willie Warren.

White has had an interesting season. Toward the end of last year a number of scouts thought White had point guard skills after he took over the position from an injured Chris Warren. This year, White has played primarily at the 2 and hasn't had more than three assists in a game. But he has shown a lot of promise at the 2. He's an NBA athlete all the way, has improved his accuracy from the 3-point line and is doing a much better job of putting the ball on the floor and getting to the foul line.

With the exception of a 25-point night against Kansas State and a 29-point outburst recently against Jacksonville, White hasn't put up huge numbers this season. But he looks the part and based on where I'm beginning to hear his name, we've moved him up a number of spots on our Big Board into the mid-first round. If I continue to find that more teams have him ranked in the lottery, we'll move him there.

Dec 4 Update: NBA scouts want to love Mississippi guard Terrico White. Last season, with starting point guard Chris Warren out with an injury, White ran the point for Mississippi and wowed scouts with a raw ability to both find his own shot as well as set up others. With Warren back running the point this season, White has been forced to turn into a more conventional shooting guard.

While scouts are still impressed with his significant athletic abilities and a knack for scoring just about anywhere on the floor, they're struggling to really gauge his development as a point guard.

I've had several GMs tell me that if they get comfortable with the idea of White playing the point in the pros, he could be a late lottery pick. If he's a straight 2, he's more likely a mid-to-late first-rounder.

Apr 14 Update: White announced that he's returning to Mississippi for his sophomore year. That's a good move. While his play in the SEC this year was outstanding and put him firmly on the NBA radar, NBA scouts are going to want to see more from him before they anoint him a lottery pick. If he dominates as a sophomore, he could be in the lottery.
  6. Brap

Brap Starter

What I really like is that his draft stock likely slipped because scouts couldn't see his development at PG. He had to move over to SG with the return from injury of a teammate.

He might well have been a lotto pick had he played that position this year.

I love the potential of an all big super fast athletic starting backcourt of Stuckey and White down the road.
  7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Brap, this is really good stuff, but you aren't supposed to post subscription content to the site.

http://www.pistonsforum.com/view-forumguidelines.html
  8. Brap

Brap Starter

Oh, sorry - didn't realize.
  9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Kid has some scary athletic numbers. He's long, tall, fast, and has hops for days. Question is: Is he Shannon Brown 2.0, or is he another Russell Westbrook? Good insurance policy if the price for Rodney Stuckey gets too expensive, I'd LOVE to see this guy push his way into the rotation a-la Bynum and JJ. Also I can't wait to read some good old Lee356 posts on how this kid should be starting after pre-season.
  10. Brap

Brap Starter

Assuming White starts to show he's for real - big "if," I know, but play with me - then resigning Bynum could lead to a situation a year from now where Bynum, who should be healthy and reprove his worth as a dynamic bench player, could become a very nice tradeable asset.

The Pistons really already have a super bench scorer in Gordon, so Bynum would be a bit of overkill, and really not the best fit in a long term guard rotation with Gordon and Stuckey. A fully realized White would be a better natural fit with Gordon and Stuckey in a 3-man guard rotation, because of his size.
  11. Brap

Brap Starter

He's got Stuckey size and Westbrook hops. He's bigger than Westbrook.

DraftExpress: Pre Draft Measurements

Here are some interesting measurable comparisons:

White, 6'3.75" Shoes 6'5" Wingspan 6'9" vertical 40' Agility 11.38 (seconds) and 3/4 sprint 3.15 (seconds)

Westbrook 6'2.25" S=6'3.5" W= 6'7.75" V= 36.5 A= 10.98 3/4= 3.08

Rose 6'1.5" S= 6'.25" W= 6'8" V= 40 A= 11.69 3/4 = 3.05

Stuckey 6.375" S= 6'4.5" W= 6'7.25" V= 35 A= 11.34 3/4= 3.11
  12. tads

tads First Round Draft Pick

Totally agree. He is also similar physically to Stuckey, so it would make the offensive sets parallel, where you might have to have two different offenses with Bynum and Stuckey.

Here's another video fast forward to about 3:24.

One thing I noticed about his game, and maybe I'm wrong, is that he does not use a lot of quickness or fakes in his game. He can usually get by his man with a first step. He can usually get his shot over his defender with his size or his hops. In the NBA his athleticism might not be enough to get by defenders, and he may have trouble guarding players who are quicker than the college players he was used to, despite his very gaudy athletic numbers. While he can run fast and jump high, he might not be translating all of that athletic ability to the court yet. He will be insane when he does, and he will probably still make a lot of shots in the mean time because his shooting mechanics are great.
  13. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

Very important point. Broke mechanics and/or a slow release will get you exposed in the NBA. The defenses close out so much better.

Bottom line for Terrico is if he is ready and willing to bust his arse every minute he is on the floor, the coach will give him a chance.
  14. Brap

Brap Starter

Right now, unless there's a trade or injury, White will likely not dress, or will ride the pine for awhile.

Stuckey, Bynum, Gordon and Rip and Daye will scarf up all the guard minutes. But White's raw talent is going to lead to him getting opportunities over time - and if he's a hard worker (which he says he is) and if his attitude is great (which I have no idea about), he'll have a real chance over the next couple of seasons to prove his worth.

We'll see what happens in the heat of the battles. But I'll tell you what - from what I've seen (on the videos) and read, and from his measurables (the guy is an athletic freak. He's got a 6;'9" wingspan and a 40' vertical leap and he's as big and fast as Stuckey -- for xmas sake, his measurables are better than Rose, Westbrook and Stuckey given his height), he's got a chance to be a very sweet pick for this team.

There is no cap on how good this kid could become.
  15. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think we should trade Stuckey and make room for White. Terrico is our point guard of the future, Stuckey is only stifling his development.
  16. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I'm assuming you had to happy to hear the news of Stuckey losing a lot of weight in the off-season... am I correct?
  17. Brap

Brap Starter

That is interesting.
  18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

No I hadn't heard anything about it, but as many back and forth debates as you and I have had over this last season, you of all people should know how happy I am to hear that! I really think lowering his playing weight is going to help him tremendously.....nice....
  19. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I checked out the clip that TaS posted and was pretty impressed. Those were game clips and showed what the dude did in individual games and I guess it added some context for me.

This kid has some crazy athleticism. His shooting mechanics look a bit like Dwyane Wade. Ter[strike]rodney[/strike] White could be a rich man's Rodney Stuckey with much better hops.
  20. Brap

Brap Starter

Wade's combine numbers

6.375" S=6.475 W=6'10.75" (I thought White had a great wingspan at 6'9"!!), V=35", A= 10.56, 3/4= 3.08

I was always struck by Wade's wingspan and by his speed and agility, especially his agility. None of the PG's I compared above (Stuckey, Rose, Westbrook has that freaky length AND that freaky agility). Then again, only Rose and White are 40" leapers at the combine. Only Stuckey and White have Wade's size.

The thing about Wade is that he's just ridiculously great at finding a path to the rim by weaving through traffic. I'm guessing his incredible length and agility and his ability to quick explode into his leap (he's Stuckey strong), is what makes him really unique. And of course, he's one of the greats at rising to the occassion.

I can see each of these guys as being great players. I don't see anyone of them being in Wade's stratosphere as an all-time player.