Terrico White at #36

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Laimbrane, Jun 24, 2010.

1. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Me neither.
    I never intended to hint at that.

These guys (Terrodney and Stuckey) are instigating those comparisons, not me.
  2. Brap

Brap Starter

Posted: June 28, 2010

Pistons' second pick Terrico White has speed, jumping ability

BY VINCE ELLIS
    FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

A week before the draft, John Wall worked out for the team that eventually would use the No. 1 pick on the Kentucky point guard -- the Washington Wizards[​IMG].

It was the only workout Wall scheduled during the predraft process, since it was a forgone conclusion he would be the top pick.
    But he was curious about other players. When he was told that Ole Miss combo guard Terrico White[​IMG] was among the players working out later that day, Wall asked to hang around to watch the freakish athlete he had battled in the SEC.
    That's a story that a Wizards official relayed to White's agent, Todd Ramasar, and it shows the wow factor of the Pistons[​IMG]' second-round pick.
    Meet Terrico White
    "He was one of the more athletic guys at the combine," Pistons vice president of basketball operations Scott Perry said Thursday night after the draft. "He was a guy that was viewed by many to be going late in the first round, so it was great to be able to get a guy like that with that pick."
    Let's start with the basics. White is 6-feet-5 and weighs just over 200 pounds.
    Nothing crazy there, but he has an incredible body-fat percentage of 3.7.
    And he put up a 40-inch vertical jump at the predraft combine last month in Chicago.
    But here's the kicker. He came back to his agent and said he couldn't understand why they stopped the drill because he was just getting warmed up and could have jumped higher.
    Ramasar has asked him if he was ever timed in the 40-yard dash, and White remembers one time when he was a star quarterback as a senior in Memphis, Tenn., when he ran a very fast 4.37.
    But for all that athleticism, there are still reasons he lasted until the 36th pick. Shot selection can be an issue, and while he averaged 15.1 points as a sophomore last season, his assist average of 1.5 is quite low for a guy who will get a long look at point guard[​IMG] when the summer league begins next month.
    "Really, it's because of my size," White said Saturday of playing point guard. "I'm like 6-5, and I'm average height for a two-guard. I'm not that big for a two-guard in this league, but with my size I'm pretty much bigger than all the other point guards."
    As a second-round pick, he isn't guaranteed a roster spot[​IMG] next season, but he will be given every chance to prove he belongs as there is some thinking he will be a better pro than collegian.
    "I couldn't have asked for a better fit in terms of an organization," Ramasar said. "In terms of Terrico's style, his position, some of the things he brings to the table as a player, Detroit has had a lot of success with bigger guards, you know Rodney Stuckey, Chauncey Billups, in the past."
  3. Brap

Brap Starter

I'm starting to get irrational about the White pick. I'm seeing him in this impossibly great backcourt for years with Stuckey. Two very fast, strong, dynamic, explosive interchangeable guards.

Please send me some meds so my head doesn't explode.
  4. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I'll help you out a bit.

Here is the pre-draft profile (draftexpress) of another 6'5 guard the Pistons took in the 2nd round:

5. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Wade really only recorded a 35" vertical? Pretty shocking that he posted the same vertical that Stuckey did.
  6. Brap

Brap Starter

I was very surprised to read that as well. I expected he was 38" or 40".

I loved reading today in the freepress that White at his workout hit 40" right away and was disappointed that they shut the drill down, as he intended to do more than that. He's really a sick sick athlete.
  7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

It could be that Wade benefits from the 1/2 step they're not allowed to take when measuring this. That is surprising though.
  8. Brap

Brap Starter

Wade does have freaky long arms, so maybe that gives the illusion that he's jumping higher.
  9. pass99

pass99 Team Captain Forum Donor

No, he does jump higher. That 35 is bogus, because higher means longer in the air. Of course, there is another measurement that might not be recorded. The horizontal from the peak. It is another dimension. Sorta like a ying-yang from above that moves down-under...deep well drilling and the ability comes down to FRACK, BABY, FRACK (Scientific American, July 10, 2010, pg. 85)...one goes 90.

Disagree? Don't...I control the horizontal and the vertical!

Go head and name me that TV series.
  10. buffaloBRAVE

buffaloBRAVE First Round Draft Pick

outer limits?
  11. pass99

pass99 Team Captain Forum Donor

You might have given me the pleasure of savoring 10 minutes!
  12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It is quality rather than quantity that matters.
  13. roscoe36

That's what she said.
  14. roscoe36

That's what he said.
  15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Rascoe quoting yourself again? No wonder you have 18,000 posts. :pound:
  16. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

...and that's when the fight broke out.