Thanks Manny, there's the door, and other updates.

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Superstarov, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I haven't been updating any of this stuff lately.

I'm still in shock and denial over the playoff exit.

Anyway. The Wings have let Legace look elsewhere for the starting job he wants.

LINK

If they sign Belfour I'll throw up all over myself. I'd like to see Giguere, but I doubt they'll have the cap space for it.

Also, if you missed it.

Chelios signed for $850,000. Which is okay, he was really solid last year.

Lidstrom is a priority.

From the Freep:

They currently have about $22.5 million committed to next season's payroll, and it's probably going to take around $8 million to re-sign defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom; those negotiations are on-going.

But I think at that price, it's too much for a guy who's lost a step. I'd like to see Saint Nic back but, that's too much from the cap.

And much to my chagrin it looks like they are going to pay Shanny more than he made last year.

From the Freep:
    Holland also has decided to pursue potential free agent forward Brendan Shanahan, who last season made $2.28 million and probably will require a raise.

Require a raise?!! He's only a year older. Athletes are not like fine wines, they usually get worse with age. And Shanny is vinegar. Why are they so loyal to this guy? He's a poor man's Yzerman.

And speaking of Yzerman, Holland's changed his tune. He was originally saying that he wanted to know by the end of June whether Yzerman would be back or not, but now he's saying:

From the Freep:

Holland had hoped to know by late this month whether center Steve Yzerman wanted to return or retire, but after three conversations over the past week, it now appears the decision won't be known until next month at the earliest. It won't affect planning much, because neither Yzerman's salary nor his playing minutes will be very high.

And it looks like Datsyuk is safe for now.

From the Freep:

By the time the Wings also have signed various role players, there'll be about $3 million left for a goaltender, with $1 million in wriggle room. It's possible more could be spent via a trade, but Holland contends he will not part with the team's most desirable bait, center Pavel Datsyuk.

This is good, in my eyes. He was the team's leader in points, and I thought, despite not scoring, he played well in the playoffs. Remember he missed three weeks, plus one playoff game to an injury.

The Young D-man Kronwall shined in Sweden's win at the World Championships.

From the Freep:

Sweden becomes the first nation in history to capture Olympic and World Championship championships in the same year.

Afterward, the IIHF Directorate recognized Kronwall as the most valuable player of the tournament, and as the best defenseman. Kronwall, 25, had two goals and eight assists in eight games (including a goal and an assist Sunday), and a plus-three rating.

"He played very, very good," Holland said. "He played well for us in the playoffs and well here, and we look forward to having him back and skating next year."

Here is a link to the full story.

More to come.
  2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I know you don't mean $8mil. per for Lids.
  3. Superstarov

That's what the papers are saying. I think we'd be alot better off trying to sign him for around $6mil. He was one of the highest paid players in the league this past season. $6mil would bring him down to the "very good" player range. $8mil is the superstar zone, I really don't think he is a superstar.

Sure, everyone in the organization will tell you that he is a superstar, but that, I think is the problem with this team: They forget that even superstars get older and loose a step.
  4. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Let me get this right.
    Shanny and everyone else is paid around $2-3mil. max.
    But Lids is looking at $6-8mil.?
    Something is goofed up.
  5. Superstarov

Here's what's in the books right now.

Datsyuk $3.9 mil
    Lang $3.8 mil
    Schneider $3.3 mil
    Zetts $2.65 mil
    Draper $2.128 mil
    Maltby $1.406 mil
    Fischer $1.387 mil
    Holmstrom $1.368 mil
    Samuelsson $1.2 mil
    Lilja $1 mil
    Kronwall $990,000
    Cross $893,000
    Chelios $850,000

That's what TSN.ca has listed, but I think I heard that they already decided to let Cross go, so I don't think he is under contract.

Anyway, it's interesting to go to this link, and (about 2/3 of the way down, on the far right of the screen), and click the different teams to see who is paying what for whom.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/

Chicago is paying Khaubibulin $6.75 mil, Iginla is making $7 mil, Pronger is $6.25 mil, Naslund $6 mil, Bertuzzi $5.269 mil, Niedermayer $6.75, Giguere $3.99 mil, Thornton $6.667 mil...

OMG... Tkachuk is making $7.6 mil... no wonder the Blues are for sale.

I'd really say anything over $6mil is too much for Lids.
  6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Well a few guys are getting over. I thought the owners were trying to get away from those huge numbers. I see problems. How do you tell your wing "I make 3x what you do"!
  7. Superstarov

Well, the most that Lids can ask for is 20% of the salary cap. Something like $7.8 million.

But I still don't see how having one guy making 20% of the cap is practical.

Aside from that, I still don't think Lids is worth that much. Before the salary cap? Yeah, pay him whatever you have to Ilitch, but now? Gotta keep some $ for a goalie and a few consistant forwards.
  8. MOTOWNMAN

MOTOWNMAN Second Round Draft Pick

Anyone hear the rumor that we are trying to trade Datsyuk for R longo? It is all over the paper here in south Florida? I am not sure that is such a good move.
  9. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah, I've heard it here too. There was talk last season of Jose Theodore for Luongo as well. In fact, theres been talk of Luongo leaving Florida for a couple of years now.
  10. Superstarov

Holland has come out and said that he doesn't want to let Datsyuk go.

Also Luongo would take up som much salary cap sapce that Lang would probably have to go as well. Not to mention Luongo has never played in the playoffs before. He's not worth it.
  11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think that is hogwash. A goalie can win a lot of games for you. A forward really only produces like that every second or third night.

If there is one position that can take a poor team to the Cup Finals, it is goaltender.

Until the Wings figure that out, they are going to continue coming up short.
  12. Superstarov

Well Roscoe, the Wings have figured that out.

Remember when they got Mike Vernon (a proven cup winning goalie) and won their 1st cup in the modern era?

And then let his promising back-up Osgood lead them to the 2nd of back to backs?

Then, a few years later, they got Hasek the legend and won another one?

Then they tried it with CuJo (a very respected goaltender), and fell short?

Then they tried it with Cujo, Hasek, and Legace (the best back-up in the league), and fell short?

Then they used Legace (who was the better of the 3 the previous year, and had their hands tied by a salary cap imposed by teams that couldn't manage their own finances) and he was among the leaders in GAA in the regular season, and fell short?

So I honestly don't think that bringing in another unproven goaltender is going to do much good. And by unproven I mean the guy has never played in an NHL playoff game in his life.

Also, the other news about Luongo is that he has only won 115 games in 5 seasons in the league. 115 for 341. And you could say he was on a bad team, but remember "If there is one position that can take a poor team to the cup finals, it's goaltender."

I don't know what started all of this hype about Luongo in the first place, but people need to chill the heck out.

And secondly, there are a lot of good goalies that are UFA's this offseason, so why should we be forced to pay some unproven goalie his "pre-salary cap" value?

And not to mention, Vancouver the team that likes to come in 2nd place. just made a whopper of a trade to get him:

From the Freep:

The Panthers got forward Todd Bertuzzi, defenseman Bryan Allen and goaltender Alexander Auld from the Canucks for Luongo and defenseman Lukas Krajicek.

In my opinion, Vancouver paid way too much. More than I would have been happy seeing the Wings give up. I'm not saying we don't need to sign a decent goalie, but what I am saying is that all of the hype around Luongo was kind of, well, puzzling. He may turn out to have a solid career, but I don't think he's worth giving up a "franchise" type player for.
  13. roscoe36

IF Vancouver sails by us in the playoffs, I will respectfully NOT reference this thread.

Those Florida teams Loungo played for were absolutely HORRIBLE. SUB POOR.

Oh well, maybe we'll get Belfour.
  14. Superstarov

Oh My God!

Don't even say that.

Belfour?

The guy has a summer home in the next town over from me, and from what I've heard, he's a complete jerk. Not to mention that he's been overrated his entire career.

Here is the list of other guys they could trade for (from the DetNews).

Jean-Sebastien Giguere of Anaheim, Marc Denis of Columbus, Martin Biron of Buffalo and Andrew Raycroft of Boston are available and would demand less in return than Luongo. They also would be less of a financial burden.

And the list of free agents (as of July 1st).

Martin Gerber, Cristobel Huet and Ed Belfour will become unrestricted free agents July 1.

I personally like Giguere, Denis, and Gerber.

Relax Roscoe, the sky isn't falling. The Wings will do something. And look on the bright side, maybe they will have so much money tied up in goaltending that they won't be able to resign Shanny (and then I can continue watching them play).
  15. roscoe36

We'll see. There is a reason why Luongo went so high, and the Red Wings are stupid accumulating skilled forwards with no one to backstop them.

Who is the #1? Howard? Osgood?

Now they will have to spend money anyways on someone who may or may not be a clear upgrade over Legace.

I know you like Dats, but I would even give up Zetts for a bonafide goaltender. They are a more rare commodity than forwards. Let's face it, there are no future Gretzky's on this squad right now.
  16. Superstarov

The Wings have stated since the playofss ended that they need to sign a veteran goaltender. That is one of their top priorities.

And if you read the article, I don't think Zetts would have been enough. Did you see what Vancouver gave up to get him?

And I have said myself that we need to bring in a new goalie. No one is saying the Wings don't need a verteran goaltender. But what I was saying that I don't know why so many teams we trying to win the services of a completely unproven goaltender.

Remember when Hasek got the Sabres into the playoffs year after year, even though the team sucked? Was this the first time they made the playoffs since he left?

How'd Montreal do without Roy?

How's Jersey gonna do when Brodour leaves?

I agree that you can't win a cup on the forwards alone, but this team is built that way. Get a solid (not incredible) goalie, and a decent defense, and some flashy forwards and... POOF!... Stanley Cup. I mean, 3 times in 9 or 10 years? It's not exactly like they've been struggling for ever.

And I'm kind of glad there is not another Gretzky anywhere in the league, I'd be throwing up in my mouth everytime I heard his name.
  17. jammertime

Hey, go easy Star. Its only been 11 years, it still hurts.

Talk about hitting a guy while he's down! :boink:
  18. jammertime

Raycroft was just traded to Toronto, so he's out.

Belfour is about 100 years old and has a bad back... so, seeing as the WINGS are the reason Roy demanded a trade out of Montreal, I hope you get him! :P
  19. jammertime

Luongo is for real. That guy has faced more shots than any other goalie since he's entered the league, yet he still has excellent numbers. He's the kind of goalie that can steal games for you.

The Canucks did give up a lot, but you can't lose if you don't give up any goals. Bert hasn't been the same since his suspension and they still have an excellent offence. The canucks have been searching for an elite goalie for years, now they have him. I love this move for Vancouver.
  20. roscoe36

Me too. For the regular season, you can build at center ice, but if you want playoff success, it all starts in the net and at the blueline.