The 2006 Undrafted Thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by aurora, Jul 13, 2006.

1. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

I just saw an interview on Courtside Live with Pops Mensah-Bonsu who says he is happy the Mavericks picked him up as a free agent. On some of the mock drafts he was projected to go in the bottom second round, but went undrafted. Does this mean he is a Mav now, or is it just like us having Wayne Wallace and Rodney Billups playing for us in Summer League?

Does anyone know of the status of other undrafted 2006 hopefuls? I was disappointed no one drafted Kevin Pittsnoggle or Gerry McNamara.

It's a long shot, but not to forget Ben Wallace went undrafted, so there could be a few more diamonds in the rough out there in the Summer League.
  2. linwood

linwood All-Star

Taquan Dean is one I am interested in. He played for Louisville and seems to have a lot of talent. Good defender and ball handler.

Pittsnogle is 6'11". Seems like you could get someone to draft you on that alone. Plus, he seemed to be a pretty good scorer, and very competitve for WV. I just read that Pittsnoggle was projected to go in the 2nd round, so he decided to become a free agent instead. Supposedly he is trying out for Miami right now in their summer league.

Those would be my 2.
  3. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

:) On draftexpress.com there is a NBA Summer Leagues section with a list of undrafted free agents and which team they are on, if any.

Of interest:

Dallas Mavericks Pops Mensah-Bonsou, George Washington
    Miami Heat Kevin Pittsnoggle, West Virginia
    Orlando Magic Gerry McNamara, Syracuse
    Minnesota Timberwolves J.P. Batista, Gonzaga
    NY Knicks Marco Killingsworth, Indiana
    San Antonio Spurs Taquan Dean, Louisville

Draftexpress.com says that last year 15 undrafted free agents made an NBA team and stuck until the end of the season. If you like to root for the underdog, tracking guys like this is the way to get your jollies!:nod:
  4. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

San Antonio Spurs Summer League Team

If you want to keep track of these two players, draftexpress.com has very detailed Summer League player reports for each game. They were raving about Adam Morrison, said he was the best draftee performance so far. They cover all the four Summer League venues.

OFF-TOPIC I like tracking these players from March Madness to their NBA lives. When I was in the arts, I used to like picking a ballet dancer from the general corps and seeing if she could rise to the prima ballerina level over the course of her career. :) When I choose successfully, I feel so smart. That's part of the March Madness fun for me.
  5. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Love McNamara but I doubt he'll make it. I predict a Bobby Hurley outcome for him.
  6. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

no doubt. it's always enjoyable to find a diamond in the rough. i picked up Prissy McPriss in the 8th round of our ballet fantasy draft last year. i know it was a risk because she just had knee surgery and ballerinas are never the same after that (so many promising careers down the toilet), however she really stepped it up in the "pliƩ" and "tours en l'air" categories.
  7. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL :laugh:
  8. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer