The Amir Johnson height CONSPIRACY?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by CloudWalker, Jul 15, 2007.

1. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Empty the Bench » Blog Archive » Merry Xmas from Rasheed Wallace and Co.

This is the closest thing to a side by side comparison I could get, unless The Low got Amir to stand in front of a height chart. :)

1 inch shorter than Sheed?

Hardly.

It appears that the reports of this "growth spurt" have been more than slightly exaggerated.

Either that, or he was only 6'7" when he was drafted.

Comments?
  2. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Re: The Amir Johnson height CONSPIRACY

that was from christmas last year.

my source on the inside (dolly grip) says for the video sheed was wearing his sneaks while AJ was going barefoot.
  3. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Darn cloud, I was thinking the same exact thing last night and was thinking about putting together a thread about the height inconsistency.

I have read in various news circles that his height has been as high as 6'11", now I am hearing 6'9".

I say the video comparison in relationship to Sheed, a good guess would put AJ at maybe 6'10", but they are bopping around a bit so the numbers probably are skewed.

This a very good thread, I would like to know the same thing myself from whomever may have some comparisons.

Were you in my dreams last night Cloud, lol.
  4. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Yeah, but what did the "best boy" have to say about that? :laugh:
  5. detteam

detteam All-Star

I've seen that vid before. Amir looks a good 2" shorter than Sheed. If the shoes vs. barefoot thing is true, did the Pistons orchestrate that to keep Amir's profile as lowkey as they could? :stirthepot:
  6. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

As funny as this is, it is clear Amir is only 6'9". I'd could tell that just by watching a fuzzy webcast. Amir is at least 3 or 4 inches shorter than Saimb. So why, why on Earth is McCoskey and Co. trying to say the kid is 6'11"? The only thing that makes sense, is they don't want Amir to perceived as a SF, and have pressure to compete him against Tay. You know what, Tay has been down right lazy the past year and a half, time to get him some competition. And if Amir is only 6'9", is Jmax even 6'6"?
  7. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Sorry folks.

AJ will be the leading Piston rebounder this year and will rank in the top 10 in the league in double doubles. He is by the way taller than Big Ben. Given his all around game that is enough for me.

:hoops:
  8. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm still not quite sure why the Pistons traded away Tay's main backup and only got 2 future 2nd rounders in return. Tay already plays too many minutes.

Did Joe make the trade in anticipation of landing a vet like Hill? If he did, that's a horrible move. You don't count your chickens before they're hatched.

Does Joe still have a trade/signing up his sleeve?

Or is he expecting Amir or J-Max to fill that role?
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't even know where the 6'11 came from. The media guide I have from the summer league lists him at 6'9- 210 and that is what I thought he was. I often wondered why everyone kept saying he could be the starting center?

I found this from Wikipedia:
    Johnson is a power forward who was selected by the Detroit Pistons with the 56th pick of the 2005 NBA Draft. He is listed at 6'9" (2.06m) and 210 lb (95 kg) but has reportedly grown to 6'11" (2.11m)[1] since being drafted.

That footnote indicates it was taken a Piston article written by Keith Langlois, but there is no date on it.

Agree that in the x-mas video, AJ's shoulders look about an inch and half shorter than Sheeds
  10. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

My understanding is that Sheed is 6'10 in barefeet. Shoes generally add 1 1/2 inches, which is how you typically get the offical NBA listing. It's the team's (and player's) call whether to round up or down. Amir's height, when drafted, was supposedly 6'8 (barefoot). It's concievable that he's now 6'9 barefoot, and standing 6'10 1/2 in shoes, in which case you could list him at 6'11. I wouldn't, but I guess you could. 6'10 seems to be a honest listing.

Jason Maxiell was measured at 6'6 1/2 in shoes by the NBA, before he was drafted..
  11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Well, I saw Amir side by side with Sheed in one of the last games of this season, which was not too long ago at all. I was on the floor, first row, midcourt-pretty good vantage point. I do not know exactly how tall Sheed is, but I thought he was 6-11. Which would make Amir about 6-10, based on the fact he looks to be an inch shorter than Sheed.

As far as this "conspiricy," I would not put it past McCoskey to print or pass on something he was told without checking his facts. Somebody wanted us to believe Amir is taller than he actually is. To take the pressure off Flip /and or Dumars to play Amir at small forward sounds as likely a reason as any such misinformation would come out.

It has also been mentioned, I can't remember the source, that Amir is about the quickest guy on our team. At 6-10, and with great quicks and ups, how in the world would anyone conclude he can't play small forward? Now, as I have pointed out repeatedly, JMAX and Amir played as a pair forwards in those four games at the end of the season. So, right in front of us, without ever admitting it, they were using one of either JMAX or Amir to replace some of Tay's minutes. Never announced it. I am sure lots of people missed this simple fact, but they did what they said they would not do, use Amir at small forward. (Unless you want to believe it was JMAX at small forward, which of course begs a different question. Why was Tay exhausted at the end of the season if JMAX could have been giving him some rest?)
  12. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

The Langlois article cited in the footnote is here, and includes this:

You're right that there's no date in the article, but according to the url (...jobtraining_070108.html) the date is January 8, 2007.
  13. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    McCoskey said that Amir was 6 11 1/2 at the beginning of last season. That's all I know.
  14. LA Dre

So now it appears that he grew another inch in the 2 1/2 weeks after the X-mas video was made and then shrunk back to 6"10 since then. Even Samb's weight is being questioned if he gained 30 lbs or not?

How about an official weigh in, measurement and body fat analysis on the first day of training camp for everybody.
  15. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

you guys are looking too hard for conspiracies that aren't there. you're showing a video where you have no vantage point of where amir and sheed were standing in comparison to each other, and you can't even see from the stomach down. good lord.

if the pistons really wanted to keep his value down, they'd have never published that he had grown 2 inches.
  16. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

It's pretty obvious that Sheed and Amir are standing right next to each other. You're the one that's reaching if you're actually claiming that's hard to deduce.

IMO, the most plausible explanation so far is that Rasheed was wearing shoes and Amir was not.
  17. LA Dre

Or Sheed was wearing his high heels that day:MusicBigGrin:
  18. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i 'stand' by (or next to? har) what i said. it's irresponsible and inaccurate to draw conclusions from that video.
  19. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I've changed my mind.

When someone puts their arm around someone else, it's impossible to extrapolate where they are in relation to each other.

:pound: :pound: :pound:
  20. detteam

detteam All-Star

Hog...forget the video. You've been to games recently. You've seen Amir together on the floor with Sheed, Dice, Davis & Tay, at least in pre-game. What's your relative height analysis seeing Amir next to those guys?