The Amir Johnson height CONSPIRACY?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by CloudWalker, Jul 15, 2007.

1. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

So, are you willing to try them out or not.
  2. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Thanks for the reiminder. He finishes at the rim.

:hoops:
  3. iamthefuj

iamthefuj Second Round Draft Pick

Keith Langlois from today's mailbag at pistons.com:

"Johnson was 6-foot-9 when the Pistons drafted him in June 2005. When they measured him to start fall camp in October 2006, he was 6-foot-11. We’ll find out if he’s still growing when they measure him again this October."
  4. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

What came first, the chicken or the egg?
    What does it has to do with the price of tea in china?
    Who's on first?
    lol
  5. armygirl

Breaking News:

It was just reported that Amir Johnson just shrunk, he is now 4'9". Many folks doubted his short stature until they showed him standing next to Mugsy Bogues in a summer pick up game yesterday.
  6. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    :pound::pound::pound::pound::pound:
    [​IMG]
  7. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Buddahfan, I agree that Amir has the ability to drive to the hoop. However, this appears to be because he has a quickness advantage against other bigs, and the fact that he's not usually starting his drives form the wing. His one or two dribbles before finishing at the hoop aren't going to cut it against tough swingmen on the perimeter. He'll probably get there, but he needs to improve his handle before that happens.

Lemonpen, am I willing to try them at the 3? That's really not my call, but for the sake of arguement, I'll ask- Why would you want to do that? Sure, there may be certain situations where you might want to, say, against Cleveland. They could be playing Big Z, Gooden, and Lebron. Here we might want to plug in Maxiell, or Amir and go big, especially if Sheed's out there spreading the floor. But as a regular rotation move? For reasons I've outlined earlier it just doesn't make sense to me. We'd be far better served with both of these young guys as fixtures in our bigman rotation and try to find other answers for our backup perimeter positions, either through trades or by trying Afflalo. Why not maximize their abilities and put them in situations where they can be successful?

Trying to force them to regularly play the 3 smells like desperation and wishful thinking to me.
  8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Do any of you guys actually watch basketball, other than Piston games? Do y'all hoop at all? During the playoffs Don Nelson put a lineup on the floor of a bunch of athletic guys who can run, jump, shoot, and defend. He basically had 2pg's,2wings, and a tweener forward on the floor....and they competed and won. I see no reason that we couldn't have a 2nd lineup of Stuck, Alf, Max, Amir, &Tay/Rip on the floor. Fast, long athletic rebounding players, I'll let Dr.Lee do all the rotation crunching to show how this could reduce limits on the starters.
  9. DeetroitDynasty-e

DeetroitDynasty-e First Round Draft Pick

It takes a very talented coach with a very unorthodoxed way of playing/coaching the game to make that system work effectively. I'm not saying Flip is untalented, because i think the guy has real ability coaching the offensive game, but i think Nellie ball may be difficult (not impossible) for him to implement. I have to say, it is the exact opposite of the drag it out possession-by-possession style of play that won our team its last championship, but i'd be thrilled to watch it and young guys would be the best way to try it (they have not yet been indoctrinated with the drag it out mentality). I just have doubts as to whether Flip is the guy to implement it.

Nellie ball is murder against extremely structured teams like Dallas and San Antonio... maybe us too. Better to take a weakness and turn it into a strength than vice-versa.
  10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I wouldn't switch our whole offensive scheme over, but why not have a young fast 2nd unit that plays in that unorthodox fashion. The fact is that we have some really good young players who all play the same position (SG & SF), and Flip needs to get creative and think outside the box in order to take advantage of the personnel this season.
  11. buddahfan

Who's on First? by Abbott and Costello

Click the link for an audio of the skit. If you have never heard it and are a baseball fan it is pretty funny. It is even funny if you have heard it before.

Abbott and Costello, Who's on first? audio and text

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I like the idea of using the young guys' energy and creating a contrast in styles. The one thing they will have right off the bat is energy. The efficiency on offense in structured sets will probably not be there for a while.
  13. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

I couldn't agree with you more. AJ, Maxiell, Afflalo, and Dupree/Mejia are all born to run. Rip and Tay are open floor nightmares as well, so we don't have to make a wholesale, platoon style substitution in order to do it. The question is- Can Stuckey push it?
  14. DeetroitDynasty-e

DeetroitDynasty-e First Round Draft Pick

Well i would think there are two main options for playing with speed and athleticism...

Run-and-Gun, ala Phoenix which requires a talented PG (Steve Nash aint bad)

or...

Nellie-ball/Drive and Dish with Stuckey playing the part of a poor man's Baron Davis

Clearly he cant be either of these guys overnight, but i can see us trying to use him as a drive and disher more than a run and gunner. I like Mejia being played with the athletic line-up too, he looks like a good court-vision guy and he'll go after loose balls and cleanup points (something that occurs often in fast paced offenses)
  15. armygirl

Amir's Height Issue Somewhat Resolved

Justin Rogers just posted on MLive issues regarding Amir Johnson's height discrepancy.

According to Mr. Rogers, when AJ was drafted, he was 6'9", he is now a whopping 6'11" and still appears to be growing.

He will be measured again in October in pre-season.

It appears that someone from Mlive definitely reads PistonsForum.Com.

Hopefully, this will clear up the naysayers, and any others who is extremely concerned about AJ's height.

Hopefully we can now put this baby to bed. LOL (No pun intended).
  16. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

Re: Amir's Height Issue Somewhat Resolved

I don't understand how Amir is still growing at 18 and 19 (Is he 19 yet?). I stopped growing (height wise) at 16 and everyone I know has stopped at 16 and 17. I don't understand how the guy can still be growing that much. I don't know :burgereater:
  17. buddahfan

I believe the way that the NBA records player heights is as follows.

1. All rookies get measured initially. This first measurement of rookies is without shoes

All subsequent measurements over the years are with shoes.

I only saw this at one website and have never had it verified. I don't remember the website name, but as I recall it was a pretty credible website.

18. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

Look at Rodman, who left highschool at what, 6'3"?

I grew 2 inches taller when I was 20/21. It's possible, especially for the taller guys.

We need to get an embedded reported in there with a camera and tape measure when the Pistons have weight/height day.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I thought that after their rookie year, they had the choice to wear shoes or not, and that most guys choose the shoes so that they seem taller for their next FA negotiation.
  20. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

You can't teach height. If Amir keeps growing could he reach the stature of these two NBA legends?

[​IMG]