1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

The Antonio McDyess Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Dec 26, 2007.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We do draw more fouls than the other team as it is. I'm not sure if it helps us to create a big gap in that category.

A lot of times, it seems like a game is considered fairly called if both teams get the same number of calls. Creating a big disparity probably means that we are less likely to get them when we need them.

I think that the less calls in general, the better off we will be, since defense is still our specialty.

2. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

In order to do strong moves to the basket unless you are talking about something like a drop step, up and under etc., you have to put the ball on the floor. Dyess is not very good at that, neither is Sheed. At their ages with their physical skills, it seems highly unlikely that either will ever get proficient at that. That is just not their game. AJ on the other hand....

It seems to me that they and the team will be better off if they continue to work on what they already do well and do it better. It is up to Flipper to find a way to maximize their talents.

Rip for example was having a real rough go at the beginning of the year, getting bumped a lot and not open that much, so he wasn't shooting all that well. Then as we recall Flipper tweaked the offense and Rip's shooting percentage and ppg have gone up as a result. Rip didn't develop a new skill. Flipper changed the offense in an attempt to get more out of Rip's skills.

It should be he same in my opinion with all of our older players. Younger guys like Maxey, Hot Rod, AA, AJ are still young enough to develop more variations to their game on offense in order to be able to improve their offensive production, along with plays being designed to take advantage of the specific skill set on offense.

:hoops:

3. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i like dice starting. i thought a big problem in the playoffs was that he felt a big burden having to carry the scoring load off the bench, and once it got into his head he built houses of bricks. starting lets him focus on his strengths...and what better energy guy to have as your 6th man than maxiell?

4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Dude don't even try....Uncle Lee will never get that logic. He has his mind made up.

5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

33 is hardly ancient. Besides, if you notice, Dyess is working on this stuff. I just think he needs to accelerate the pace. As far as Sheed, he has the skills already, its just a choice for him.

6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

How do you expect a guy to work hard when he's just handed a starting spot?

I'd like to see a You Tube clip of Dysee fumbling passes and rebounds out of bounds, commiting silly reach in fouls followed by him doing his half glazed smile after. I could watch that 1000 times.

Dysse has played real well. I think it gets overlooked how much him starting has benefited the D. He and Sheed can hand off who they're covering to one another so they can help deny dribble penetration from the wings.

7. Murph

Murph First Round Draft Pick

The funny thing is, Dyess could have been starting and presumably playing this well last year. Would that have made a difference against the Cavs last year in the playoffs? It couldn't have hurt.

8. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

The calculation might have been that JMax wasn't ready yet (at the beginning of last season) to play consistent minutes as the first big man off the bench. That was probably less true near the end of the season than it was at the beginning, but by that point, having CWebb as a starter and Dice as the first big man off the bench was probably a better option than changing Dice's role that significantly.

9. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    It's a possibility, but his shot was way off in the playoffs. It was like reverting back to having Ben Wallace offense, but without similar defensive impact. This year it is nearly Ben Wallace defense with very efficient offensive game.

10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Sorry, his defense is not that good. Comparing him to Ben is way off. He is better vs. last year, but he still lets way too many people drive in uncontested. His improvement is mostly on guarding bigger players like Shaq and Howard. He is still too slow in a lot of cases to do well guarding typical power forwards and centers in the league.

11. Murph

That's true. But as a starter last year, Dyess' defense still would have been much better than Webber's. Also, his shot might not have been off that much in the playoffs, if he had been starting all year. And he would not have been the lockerroom disruption that Webber apparently was.

12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Dyess was burnt out by the playoffs as it was. If he had started, it would just have been worse. Our problem last year was real simple: Saunders would never give steady minutes to Maxiell. There was no excuse, not even close. Both Webber and Dyess were playing too many minutes, not to mention Sheed was totally overused. It was just a poor decision by the coach not to use Jason more. (or if you want to get ugly about it, you could say Flip did want to play Jason more, but he was incapable of following his own plans.)

13. Murph

Regardless of whether or not Dyess was burned out for the playoffs last year, his defense still would have been better than Webber's, in that Webber's defense was non-existant.

Also, Dyess' playing time would have had no effect on his lockerroom presence, which could not have been worse than Webber's.

The improved accuracy of Dyess's jump shot is debatable. But notice, I wrote, "his shot MIGHT not have been off that much in the playoffs, if he had been starting all year."

Now Maxiell's playing time...that's a whole other topic. I agree that JMax should have played more last year.

14. buddahfan

Just to remind you that Maxey was about 25 - 30 pounds overweight last year.

Maybe he could have lost some of it if he had played more, but not enough to warrant any more minutes that he got.

During the first half of the year his defense was not so good to put in nicely. It did get better in the second half of the year, but he was still way overweight.

15. buddahfan

A jump shooter's accuracy is affected to a great extent by the type and quality of the team offense.

If our offense is fluid than it is easier for Dyess to get open shots from his sweet spots. As I recall our offense against the Cavs was not very fluid.