The BCS system

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Buckeyes#1, May 2, 2009.

1. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Yesterday, a House committee quizzed Swofford over the BCS. Here is the link that explains what happened in detail. I agree with one of the remarks, that they need to take the C out of it, and just call it the BS system.

The solution to this problem is quite simple in my opinion. Each conference team plays at least one loser of a team each year. For example, last year UM played Toledo. Uhhhhh, forget that example. Lets say UM played Appalachian St. Dog on it. Let's say for example, OSU plays Toledo this year, which they do. If they cancel this meaningless game, this would allow one weekend in early December for eight teams to play. Now it's down to 4 teams heading into the bowl games. These 4 teams would then meet in two of the bowl games, while the rest of the nation plays in the other bowl games. Now it's down to 2 teams, which would play in a National Championship one week after the bowl games. The conclusion is we have a legitimate winner, and we kept the bowl games in place.

Bowl Championships Series (BCS) hearings start in front of House committee - ESPN

2. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

[SARCASM]
    You're just trying to figure out a way to showcase all that OSU talent that succeeds in the NFL...
    [/SARCASM] :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound:

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah Buck, quit kicking Michigan while they are down. As soon as DRod's illegal recruiting methods kick in, you guys are going to be in our shadow once again.

4. Buckeyes#1

It just seems so strange that the powers that be wouldn't do a plan like this. It would generate a HUGE amount of interest and revenue, without hurting the bowls.

5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Every team wouldn't have to play one less game in order to have an 8-team playoff. The top 8 teams are going to all play one bowl game already. Therefore, in an 8-team playoff, only 4 teams would actually have an increase of games. The two teams in the championship game would play an additional game. As far as the increase of total games, it really would only affect 4 of the 245 NCAA Division I football teams.

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Amen.

So, each year, 4 teams play an extra day and 2 teams play an extra day beyond that. This playoff would rival march madness and the final game would be superbowl-esque.

Playing 2 extra Saturdays is really not going to keep any of these kids from getting their dream jobs in medicine. Also, odds are that the same teams won't be in the final four 2 years straight, so if a college athlete at a major program got to the final 4 once in his college career, it would be an accomplishment.

7. Buckeyes#1

True. But with your scenario, if they played one less game, then they could have a 16 team playoff. If I had to choose between watching OSU vs Toledo in the regular season or OSU vs Boise St in the first round of the 16 team playoff, I'd choose the playoff.

8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Most of the 246 teams probably don't want to play one less game. The majority of the schools will have no chance at making a 16-team playoff.

9. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

The BCS has been holding Michigan DOWN! They need this playoff system!

10. Buckeyes#1

Actually, the BCS has been very good to the Big Ten. Since the Big Ten is so weak, it's not too hard to run the table, and then get exposed in the nc game. Been there, done that. If UM can get back to snuff, and beat OSU in the process, they could get there.

11. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Grrr......
    [​IMG]

12. coynejeremy

This week there has been HUGE news in the college sports world. Here's the rundown:

Nebraska Cornhuskers accept offer to join Big Ten, reports say - ESPN

Colorado announces move to Pac-10 - ESPN

Boise State Broncos leaves WAC, joins Mountain West - ESPN

And some good speculation on the future:

College football realignment: Roy Kramer, architect of BCS and SEC expansion talks to Gene Wojciechowski - ESPN

I love BSU to the MWC. If Big 12 dissolves, and Pac 10 expands, I could see the MWC trying to pick up leftovers like Kansas and K-State and becoming a BCS conference.

13. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Yeah, CJ. I've been watching this stuff pretty closely. The people in Boise are just pleased as punch on this development. They've been hoping for it for years and it is nice to see they finally got in the Mountain West.

Yep. The talk is that Kansas and Kansas State are next. That pretty much makes the Mountain West a BCS conference.

I wonder if the Big Ten will pick up two more teams?

14. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Colorado should have moved to the MWC instead of the Pac [strike]10[/strike] 20. :pound:

Actually, I was hoping to see CU follow the Huskers and head to the Big-10. CU has a good rivalry with the corn not to mention U of M.

15. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I totally forgot about the CU v Husker post-Thanksgiving Friday clash going poof for the TV $$.

16. coynejeremy