1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Breaking News The Brandon Exchange: Pistons acquire Brandon Jennings

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by jayborne, Jul 30, 2013.

1. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Ugh. I'm not a big Brandon Jennings fan. His defense stinks.

But having said that, too often people point to his FG% and say he is bad. This is a guy who shoots quite a few 3's and it skews his numbers. He is pretty much league average

coynejeremy likes this.
  2. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

It was 150 years ago today that the great Henry Ford was born. As the city of Detroit celebrates his legacy, we can only be left to ponder: Could Brandon Knight have forged a similar legacy? Could he have immortalized his name along with the greatest hearts and minds in the history of the city? This is a sad day for Piston nation - not because of the return on the trade, but because a once-in-a-lifetime basketball prodigy has been voluntarily traded to our bitter rivals, led by John Hammond - a traitor and enemy of the state.

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Here is a quick back of the envelop comparison:

Stat: BK/ BJ (per 36 min)
    Pts: 15.2/ 17.4
    Ast: 4.0/ 6.5
    Tov: 2.7/ 2.5
    3P%: .367/ .375
    eFG: .475/ .468
    FTA: 3.0/ 3.5
    PER: 12.0/ 16.1

Offensively, I think that it is an improvement. Their eFGs are identical, they are similar 3-point shooters, but Jennings is a better passer and ball handler.

Defensively, I believe that it is a significant drop off.

Intangibles- I like Knight better. Age, attitude, passion, etc.

Probably not a big enough upgrade to bother doing though. Will remain open minded until I get to see it for a while. It's not like the current version of Knight is good enough, so we'd be relying on improvement. But at 21, at least improvement is possible. With a 24 year old, he probably is what he is in a basketball sense.

House Dressing and kolay like this.
  4. Mark V

Mark V Bench Warmer

On wow. I thought Joe D ended up overpaying for him since he was looking for a $50 mil deal. $8 mil for 3 years is a steal!

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  5. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Please do not ever say this again. EVER. .....EVER.

round, coynejeremy and The Panda like this.
  6. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

Wow, Pistons0809 .. for Once I'm with you!

It's sad to see Knight go away.. I remember I watched him in the McDonald's game against Irving, Knight used to have the long cornrows back then! And when the Pistons picked him up 15 months later over Kemba Walker I feel happy even when everybody ripped Joe D.

Yes, Knight missed some open easy lay ups in the past, yes, he was dunked hard by DeAndre Jordan and got his ankle brokens by Irving a few times the past years, But I was hoping to see him grow here!

And I had big expectations for Middleton too.

On the other hand, we get Brandon Jennings, a player that when he announced he was going to Lottomatica Roma team in Italy, I thought He was going to mark a tendency. (He didn't, other than Jeremy Tyler..) But have faith in him.

Remember his game as a rookie scoring... what was that? 50 points?

Well, nothing but the best for BK7 and welcome aboard Jennings!

Rare fact... When Jennings went to Italy, he played with Gigi Datome in Roma there! They were teammates!

KGREG and Ernie the Slow Adult like this.
  7. McQuack

McQuack Bench Warmer

Jennings is still 23, but will turn 24 in September. Knight will turn 22 in December, so it's really only ~2 years difference between them.

Also, even if Jennings isn't considered a good defensive player, he gets a lot more steals per game than Knight.

kolay and BillLaimbeer like this.
  8. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

[​IMG]

Jennings saw this coming.

BallDon'tLie, Walter, kolay and 3 others like this.
  9. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Defensively I agree. But at the risk of flip flopping on Jennings, there is no way that this S&T makes us worse. BJ is a better passer than Knight. He is fast fast fast as well.

The biggest difference I see is in 3pt attempts. Knight - 327 Jennings - 461. And I think that is really going to help. Jennings is a pretty serious threat to shoot from outside. And he can hit circus shots. Knight can't - he couldn't shoot off screens, only set. I have a feeling that Jennings will probably end up taking less shots this year because he won't have to carry as much scoring load. But hopefully he becomes more efficient. Otherwise we have the #1 and #2 long 2 chuckers (and missers) in the league. That isn't an exiting proposition.

10. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

Wow. Jennings contract is cheap. Just think that is Stuckey $$ in the old CBA. This reminds me a lot of the Chauncey pickup. Good sized PG that can score and dish, but just never found a home during his rookie contract. Still has room to grow. Remember, that Bucks situation was toxic and crazy. I don't know if we our better, but I am more excited.

Nemo likes this.
  11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If you have a monster big man in the paint (Drummond) behind you, you can afford below average defense on the perimeter. In a similar manner, WallaceX2 would erase mediocre defense from Hamilton and Billups.

12. dozero

dozero First Round Draft Pick

gonna miss Slava the most of the three. question now are: who's the back up 5? will this change the expected start of Monroe and Drummond? do you start: CB, RS, JS, CV, GM? Showcase your two trade assets for later? will he sign Siva? Is Rip coming back? Same bat time. Same bat channel.

roscoe36 likes this.
  13. vincy4fish98

vincy4fish98 Bench Warmer

This may have been one of the easier trades Dumars has done. 1.) He is trading with someone he has a long working relationship with (Hammond) it would be hard to pull the wool over each others eyes, they both probably spoke at length and honestly about what their needs were and how what they were giving could benefit the other 2.) I am sure Cheeks was consulted 3.) I am sure Chauncey was also consulted and privy since he is being groomed for a position 4.) Jennings is at that age-24 where breakouts and refinements have the most impact. He already has 4 years of experience and knows what the grind of 4 nba seasons is all about. 5.) Siva is signed and that keeps your franchise player -Drummond happy as they developed a good rapport over summer league, I am sure other teams would sign him if let go. 6.) I think Dumars still may have one to two more moves before the season starts.

I will go on a limb and say we have done enough at this point to make the playoffs.

raxrets, CarlosGallan, S.J. and 2 others like this.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

What would Hammond's rationale have been for doing the trade? Surely it wasn't to pick up depth at backup backup SF and C.

15. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

Yeah, this is like when McHale gave the Celtics Garnett before being canned. Hooking up a buddy on the way out. Like the move or not, Joe "won."

16. Mossberg

Mossberg Bench Warmer 3x Fantasy Champion

Hammond was trying to get something (anything) for a guy who clearly did not want to be in Illwaukee. He succeeded in getting some (potentially) decent players out of the deal instead of simply not matching any Jennings offers and letting him walk.

17. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I'll say this for Brandon Knight, he could dribble around a broomstick like a champ.

BallDon'tLie, roscoe36 and Laimbrane like this.
  18. Mossberg

Mossberg Bench Warmer 3x Fantasy Champion

Great commercial. lol

19. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I like this trade! We now have a legitimate point guard and not a guy that definitely maybe will become a point guard someday. I'm now backing off my proclamation that Billups is our starting point guard

roscoe36 likes this.
  20. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I agree. We got the best player in the trade.

roscoe36 likes this.