Breaking News The Brandon Exchange: Pistons acquire Brandon Jennings

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by jayborne, Jul 30, 2013.

1. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Well, I have mixed feelings on this trade. Here's my take on the good and the bad....

Brandon Jennings-

The Good- He has pick and roll skills. He is not a P&R master, but he can operate it.

The Bad- He runs into problems here in two ways. One, he likes to use screens to free himself up for long two point shots, instead of hitting his roll man. This is fine when he's hot, not so much when he's struggling. Two, although he can turn the corner, he has a tough time finishing at the rim. He really only has a lefty lay up that he flicks up there while trying to avoid contact.

The Good- He has an elite handle and elite quickness. He can really get to the rim.

The Bad- He uses his handle to create space for long, step back two point shots. When he gets to the rim, he struggles to convert. This is why he tends to prefer pull up jumpers, even when he has a lane to the basket.

The Good- He can create his own shot whenever he wants.

The Bad- That shot that he has created is going to be a long step back jumper, or a contested fade away. That's great if there is only a few seconds left on the shot clock. It's very bad at any other time. You get a sense that believes that he's a great shooter, when in fact, he's only a good shooter. Also, guys who tend to opt for shots with high degrees of difficulty want to believe that they are taking a tough shot for their team. When they are in fact, giving themselves built in excuses for missing shots.

The Good- He has very quick feet. He can play passing lanes.

The Bad- He's a gambler who routinely puts his teammates in bad situations. He would rather overplay the ball in hopes of getting an occasional steal than digging in and playing good defense. He'd rather hang his teammates out to dry than be embarrassed.

In short, he's a low percentage/ high volume shooter who can run your offense. The problems that he has in his game are the same problems that he has had since high school. I don't see them going away. He will be the best player on the floor for ten games or so every year. He'll be awful for ten games. He'll be okay for the rest. You have to hope that assist numbers will improve with better players around him. He'll really needs to add a lefty tear drop to his game if he ever hopes to be an elite PG. No lefty tear drop= plateaued PG.

Jennings SHOULD BE better than Knight, but I believe that Knight WILL BE better than Jennings. Knight should eventually become a competent P&R PG. I don't know if Jennings will ever be a good defender or learn to finish at the rim.

Brandon Jennings makes us a better team this year than Brandon Knight. We needed a starter to run P&R sets, and we needed a starter who can get his own shot. Jennings can do both. Two years from now? Maybe a different story.

alexa032, del, linwood and 1 other person like this.
  2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Watching some highlights on Jennings. The kid has talent, between him and Knight it's not even close. The kid is quick as lightning, has crazy handles and court vision. The problem(s) that I see are:
    • This kid doesn't have a clue how to use his God given talents
    • No idea of time and score
    • Too much talent for his own good......because he makes circus shots on a regular basis, he tends to take them on a regular basis. Needs to learn how to play the percentages.
    • Dances with the ball too much. Needs to be reminded that this is the NBA, not the And-1 Mixtape circuit.
    • Because he's slight of frame I think he tends to favor playing on the perimeter. I think he settles for (and sets up) the jump shot too much because he doesn't want to take the punishment in the paint. Makes you really appreciate what Allen Iverson did for so many years.
    But the kid has IMMENSE talent!!! I mean ridiculous, off the charts talent. He just needs to be more focused on winning and leading, as opposed to trying to add footage to a YouTube mix.

Slippy likes this.
  3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

We see the same thing and were typing practically the same analysis at the same time..........but I have SERIOUS doubts that Knight will ever get it.

4. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

I love Jennings' talent. I'm not not sure if he has it in him to change. Not being able to finish in the lane is a major red flag. Some guys just finish at the rim. Some guys can't. The guys that have been able to work through that are guys who have added a tear drop. Mark Jackson and Tony Parker were poor finishers in the paint early in their careers. Brandon Knight added a decent tear drop, and started getting into the lane, especially after the All-Star break. If Jennings can add that shot, then he would be a 20+ point scorer, and his FG% would greatly improve. If he can't, then he is what he is.

He needs to give a honest effort on defense. He doesn't do that now.

One of the nice things about this team is decent PG depth. We can always go to Bynum or Billups if BJ isn't doing what he needs to do.

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

... or even Stuckey. He did start at PG for our team for a few seasons. He doesn't turn it over much and had a high assist rate as a SG since BK took over the 1 spot.

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Here are the bottom 10 qualified players in the entire NBA last year in 2 point FG percentage:

139) Tyler Zeller
    140) Rudy Gay
    T140) Rodney Stuckey
    142) Klay Thompson
    143) Brandon Knight
    144) Evan Turner
    145) Ramon Sessions
    146) Michael Beasley
    T146) Markieff Morris
    147) Brandon Jennings

Shrewd move by MIL to climb up 5 spots.

Fortunately, we need BJ outside the 3-point line to create space.
    And last year, he was tied for 3rd in terms of 3-point makes per game for point guards at 2.2 makes per game. Billups was 14th at 1.5.

One random stat from last year. Charlie V made only 13 less 3-pointers than Lebron last year, despite playing a fraction of the minutes (1,092 vs 2,877). Charlie V can stretch the floor and we may have to resort back to him this year if things are getting clogged.

Jennings
    Pope
    Villanueva
    Smith
    Drummond

If Charlie V lets his man buzz past him on defense, not as big of a deal with 2 of the best shot blockers in the league behind him.

7. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

BJ-Pope-Chaz-Smith-Drummond is actually not a bad lineup.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You'd think that Pope would be all alone out there with his feet set, just waiting for a pass.

9. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

I don't know which number will Jennings use! .. I'll take my guess he'll wear #23 ...

10. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

What if Rasheed can get through to Chuckles on D and get him to play low risk percentages and angles so he could stay on the floor? He, Monroe and Drummond all need to learn the finer points of defense and I think Sheed will help there.

Bill L was saying that Rasheed was very positive when he was interacting with the players in the SL. That will go a long way with Charlie who couldn't handle being yelled at and chided by someone like Frank.

11. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

12. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Chaz is a decent long range shooter at PF but he is below average at the 3 (one season over .350 in his career). He's the only "good" shooter in the L who gets hacked in the end of games and since his long range shooting is his "strength", he would fail miserably at the 3 just like at the 1, 2, 4 and 5.

13. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

initially, I was pretty happy. Jennings is a proven scorer and PG while there still is one big question mark behind Knight. At second look, however, Jennings may be just good enough to get the team into the playoffs - but not more. His FG% is low, his shot selection dubious and - the worst thing - he doesn't seem to be able to lay it up with his right hand; for a pro, that is ridiculuous and nothing else.

14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I am not saying Jennings will become Tony Parker, but a lot of these criticisms were also made of Parker when he was early in his career.

This lineup has never played together before, and there is a new coach for the whole mess.

15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

You are both bad and you should feel BAD!

S.J., del, Walter and 1 other person like this.
  16. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Like that lineup Walt, just replace CBill with KCP

17. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Scott (psychotic) Skiles. Skiles and Mo are very different in their approaches. Skiles was known for being impatient, erratic I.e, whereas Mo is exact opposite

18. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

That is why while Skiles got results from his players in year one and year two.... he rubbed the nerves of his team raw. In the 70's and 80's NCAA he would have made a great coach where there was constant turn over so he didn't end up ruining the team (AKA a Bob Knight).

19. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

Jennings has already gotten the Bucks into the playoffs. So has Smith. This team is >> than last years Bucks. Does that mean 2nd round?

20. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Eventually, yes. But at the beginning of the season, I would suspect KCP will start off the bench.

I would be REALLY REALLY pissed off if Chauncey doesn't start for the home opener. I don't care what the eventual rotations are, but Chauncey deserves that standing ovation when Mason goes "bup bup bup...."