1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

The Carlos Delfino project

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Dec 17, 2006.

1. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

This is not a Delfino bashing thread... admitedly I have not been a big CD supporter (unlike some jock straps)... It's in everyone's best interest to see Carlos succeed...
    What will it take? or more importantly, will he get there?
    My take on him is that he lacks a quick first step on offense... he has all of the handles and unselfish skills required... but he's not creating separation... nice crossover but still not getting there before the defender can react, so he's forced to do the predictable pass... this worked in Italy where the reaction time was slower...
    I saw him make the same plays and drive for the dunk... this ain't Balogna....he's having trouble finishing.
    He could certainly help his situation by knocking down some open J's.. they'e not respecting his perimeter game.
    On defense he's real good at anticipating and breaking up passes... and his footwork is top notch...but he is often caught out of position where his responsibility is open for the easy look... he's not winning the defensive battle (sorry guys but it's a true statement)...
    It's not too late... he has obvious skills... the hope is that he can reach a comfort level where he makes the right decisions... not everyone can have gr8 athletisism (Melo)... it's all about confidence and experience.
    I've seen Carlos hit NBA 3's with regularity on his Skipper team... He IS capable of nailing the perimeter shot.
    I'm willing to stick it out for while.. just don't want to hear a bunch of false BS about how well he's doing... let's keep it real and hope for more improvement.

2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Re: The Delfino project

Merc, I really think it's the knee. When he first got here he was able to get the baseline for that reverse dunk with regularity. It just hit me the other night when I was wondering what happened to the slasher who could dunk on the competition Joe drafted. We dismissed his knee issues as him just being a big whiny baby, but ever since then he has indeed physically lost a step offensively. I mean he never drives to the hole anymore, I've always assumed it was Flips role for the SF but there may be some residual issues with the knee.

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

That's possible KGREG (nice to see you around), since he did have two surgeries and it can take a while to come back completely from one.

But the inconsistent jumpers are maddening sometimes. He started the season unbelievably hot, and it's gone dry.

I'm happy with his chemistry amongst the other bench guys, and I like his intangibles (great rebounder most nights).

I've gone back and forth on this guy, but at his salary, he's still a bargain with the potential to be much better. It's all relative.

4. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Ok I can buy the knee thing.. and definitely the pop for salary.
    His rebounding instincts are extraordinary (good call Micro).
    Time will tell (and his attitude)... does he want to remain a Piston?

5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Since he's been here I have not seen consistent shooting, so I took at as I saw it, he can't shoot. Every time he makes a three I feel the same way I did when Ben made a free throw. Now while him missing 3's doesn't bother me, him taking so many of them early in the shot clock does.

6. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

Since Carlos is my favorite NBA player right now I'll try and put in words why I like him so much. My other favorite Piston before Carlos was Dennis Rodman and what do these 2 have in common? Well for one Dennis was not easy to put in any mold, he was a very unique player. He was an unheralded draft pick from some backburg Jr. college but his intensity and rebounding flair earned him a special place in my heart. It's hard to judge Fino on what you see in the box score and sometimes his laid back demeanor belies the fiery competitor that's burning underneath that insoucient look. One of my friends is always teasing me about Delfino calling him "Scruffy" because he looks like he just rolled out of bed. He's just got charisma rolling off of him and when he makes a spectacular play (which he does on occasions) it just seems to ignite the team and the fans. In tonight's game he was put in for the last play and it was the quick hands of Carlos that tipped the ball away and sealed the victory for the Pistons. I like that he's a young-un (only 24) and has oodles of potential and he's not the teacher's pet. Last year when he got to play major minutes at the end of the season he showed that potential on April 18 against Milwaukee. Stats from the box score:

Delfino
    18 points (7 for 13) Free Throw Line (3-5)

Also in this game Maxiell scored 11 points and had 12 boards so those 2 really mesh well together when they play.

So I agree Delfino is a project but he's one of the few young talents on the Pistons and it's one of the pleasures of watching basketball for me is seeing the young guys develop.

Plus I think he's pretty hot! He reminds me of a European Jude Law so that probably has something to do with him being my favorite player.

7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Like your attidude... unfortuntely management has to look at consistent performance (save the Sheed jokes)... I really hope you're a lady (hot comment... if not I guess this is a new era)
    Go Carlos... you hot bastard. lol

8. Terry T

Terry T First Round Draft Pick

The funny thing about Carlos' looks, is that it is the one thing I don't like. He reminds me of Victor Mature, when I was a lad Victor Mature really creeped me out.

9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

lol

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. Terry T

Terry T First Round Draft Pick

Damn!! You had to refresh my memory?
    That Victor Mature is one creepy looking guy.

11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Somethin' crazy about that guy that makes you think that he could be a player.... he ain't no Euro wuss (Argentina whatever).
    I could see him blowin up and kickin' some ass.

12. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

LOL @ that picture.

I have been worried about my man Delfino lately too. He has potential, but the question is will he become consistent? His defense is great though. Quick hands and feet. He's a great rebounder and has that knack to be around the ball. He just needs to be more consistent on offense and he will be alright.

13. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

Oh no get the bleach! No way does Carlos look like Victor Mature the over-ripe beefcake. I'm a lady so it's OK to think that Carlos is hot besides being such an intriguing talent. How many other basketball players out there wear Che Gueverra shirts besides Fino? Since I'm in the confessional mood I like watching the other players interact with Carlos. Sheed views Carlos as his personal push-me/pull-me toy he's always rough-housing with him and tussling with him. I would like sometime to be a webcam fly on the wall and see what goes on in the lockeroom with the boys. You know that Ben Wallace misses the Piston's lockerroom since the Bulls seem to be no fun.

14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Why can't you look at him as for what he is, a backup wing player that can handle the ball pretty well, play good D, and rebounds well in traffic. We never expected JYD to be an offensive weapon, or Ben, just like we never expected Jon Barry to be a great defender. If your backup wing player can rebound, defend, and handle the ball and hit the trey on occassion, it's not a bad thing at all.

15. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

Thats a good point. I like Delfino, I think he is a good fit for the team. His skills are already pretty good. If we can get some consistency on offense he will be perfect though. He has nights where he is pretty good offensively then we have nights where he doesn't really score at all. He has the potential to be a good shooter he just needs to be more consistent out there. With time maybe he will come into his own.

16. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Anytime there's a Victor Mature reference, I gotta be in on it. Great job! :)

Carlos will probably stay inconsistent, but I like that he can help win games in lots of different ways. His best role would be on a young team, like Hedo Turkoglu in Orlando -- a ballhandling swingman who's smart enough to help high-flying athletes mesh. But I predict that the Pistons will come to rely on him more as the season goes on, because his rebounding helps fill in some of the boards that left with Ben.

17. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

If I remember correctily I think if you go back to the scouting reports on CD when the Pistons drafted him that was one of the criticisms of his game then.

I don't know why it seems that some outsided shooters are more consistant than others. But I can certainly understand it having tried to play golf. LOL

:cold:

18. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

delfino would be more consistent if the coaching staff was more consistent with him. he should get a consistent amount of minutes and a consistent amount of shots. how can you call on a guy to be consistent from the outside when he shoots maybe 4 times a game and most of those are with the shot clock running down. i think the way to get the best out of delfino is to run plays for him and through him. give him a point forward type of role if you want more offensive production from him. the stand in the corner and wait for a 3 ball with the shot clock running down type of play isn't his best talent right now.

19. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

I can't grasp the negativity concerning Delfino. He has played far beyond what most people expected this year, yet people are still questioning him. Where's the criticizm of Murray? He's absolutely sucked this year. Considering his short minutes, Delfino is doing great. If anything, I'd say he is ahead of schedule. He doesnt hurt the team when he comes in, and has helped the team, like the steal last night.

Yes, the things that Delfino does well are things the Flip doesn't care about, like passing, hustle, and playing good D. And the things Delfino does poorly are what Flip wants, jacking up shots and standing around to hit a wide open jumper. But the kid can play, and will only get better. Against the Nets, Delfino really helped JMax by getting him feeds down low. Anyone think Murray would try and get the ball to Jmax on consistent basis?

As for Flip, he loses more and more credibility each day. In a detnews article, Murray gets support - 12/18/06 - The Detroit News Online Flip flat out contradicted himself.

He says players have to earn PT, except Murray, who can play through his mistakes.

PT for Flips pets:
    "He's had games where he's played well. He's going to continue to get opportunities. He has to take advantage of them when they come."...
    if Murray's production continues to wane, Saunders could use Carlos Delfino more at shooting guard and slide Ronald Dupree in to back up Tayshaun Prince.
    For now, though, Saunders is apparently going to give Murray every chance to keep his spot in the rotation.

PT for everyone else:
    Saunders was pleased with the performances of Blalock and Jason Maxiell in New Jersey Saturday, but wasn't ready to promote either to regular rotation status.
    "As with most young guys, it's not what you do one night," Saunders said. "In this league, you can't do it once out of every three games. You got to learn how to do that and bring it every game."..."I don't determine who plays," Saunders said. "If a guy plays well, he plays. The thing on Maxey, he did this in the preseason when he got extended minutes and when he's gotten extended minutes the last two games, he's produced again."

20. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

yeah, what 16 said. Except the part of losing credibility...he's done that. In my book he's got credibility debt.