The Carlos Delfino project

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Terry T

Terry T First Round Draft Pick

Re: The Delfino project

I think that a lot of that had to do with not having a back up point guard. Until we started playing Blalock, there were a lot of games where the offense completely stalled whenever Chauncey went to the bench. Everyone stuck out on the floor went into the 'minus' until Chauncey came back into the game.
  2. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Definately. Let's just hope Flip keeps giving Blalock minutes, and doesn't mistake lack of stats for lack of production. Something he is guilty of in the past.
  3. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

This could become a moot point if the rumored FlipM for Bonzi trade happens. I would guess a Bonzi - Blalock/Hunter bench backcourt. That means DD, Dice, J-Max and Delfino battle for the bench froncourt minutes. Not to mention a lurking Dupree.

That's just how I like it. Serious competition on the bench. May the best man/combo win.
  4. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

How about that Jump ball Stuff that he had on Lebron last night. Bron got the superstar call but Fino was all over that drive!
  5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I would like to see C.D. finish shots (inside or out)... on defense beat his man to the spot without having to comit a foul.... have back 2 back solid performances... too much to ask?
  6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

In a word....NOPE
  7. FreshPrince22

Solid tonight: 8 pts, 4 boards, 3 assists, and 1 steal in 23 minutes. I'm telling you... get the ball in his hands more to run the offense and it'll do wonders. He is great at hitting the roll man in stride in the pick-and-roll. And when Max is the roll man we all know the result...
  8. FreshPrince22

I don't mind the fouls. You can't play physical defense in this league without the ticky-tack fouls anymore. As long as he doesn't get over aggressive in stupid situations (penalty, etc), then I am fine with it. He's a great defender as is. As far as everything else... it's all in scoring right now. He has back-to-back-to-back-to-back good performances in the defense/hustle/rebounding departments all the time. But he's always going to be judged by some people in how he shoots. Hopefully he figures that out. Either by improving his jumper, or trying to score in different ways. He still helps this team when he's on the floor as-is though.
  9. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I've joined the BBall side...He did indeed have some masterful rebounds... not just regular boards... the hang time was incredible... he had time for an Argentinian interview whilst rising to new heights and snatching the fiber.... not to mention his thrifty globetrotter like passes... and his man never scored on him (nose growing)... Only reason he was called for fouls is cause he rightfully called Stern a petifile...
    Did I mention Carlos is GQ?
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

He doesn't get Darko-sized manlove. Not even close. Dude is earning his contract. Particularly if you use Flip Murray and Ronald Dupree as the benchmarks.

If you were expecting Larry Bird, well Merc, you're gunna be disappointed.
  11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I'm telling you, if you judge Carlos by not even allowing shooting to be part of the equation then he's delivering. Keep looking for him to score and you're in for a long season. Look for him to rebound, defend and handle the ball, that's it; do that and you'll appreciate him. On the other hand, I, like many others would like to see a little bit of offensive consistency from the guy; but tonight I realized that Carlos doesn't get enough shots in a game to develop the type of rhythm he needs in order for his shot to be effective.
  12. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

C'mon now don't ruin the new man-crush... from now on it's ignore the bad and inflate the good... Carlos Carlos ...he's da man... if he can't do it no one can!
  13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Bonzi can!!
  14. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

Just saw this on the notes section of Yahoo Sports of the recap of tonights game.

I'll have to defend Carlos because he wasn't playing that bad (I'm looking at Flip Murray for that honor) and his 3 is still MIA but he's hustling at least. He only got 6 minutes of playing time tonight so Flip sounds like he did listen to that heckler since Carlos was glued to the bench the rest of the game.
  15. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

he was actually playing pretty poorly, he committed 2 turnovers in his first 2 touches, then blew a layup after that. seemed like he was just having an off night.

and flip, if you actually showed some signs of coaching, the fans wouldn't have to make the in-game adjustments for you.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm still completely indifferent to Delfino. I like him, but don't feel like he is adding much while out there, save for the occasional offensive rebound. Since he seems unselfish, I would be in favor of giving additional minutes to see if it helps his offense come around.

However, I am starting to agree with those that think that Flip Murray is worse.

Screw small-ball. Let's play BIG-ball.
  17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

BigBall Lineup

Blalock/Billups
    Delfino
    Sheed
    Dice
    Mohammed
  18. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i wouldn't call it a blown layup. blaha would call it a tough luck miss. it went in and out and it wasn't from an easy angle.

i do think however it was right to sit him down cause he was having an off night. i do think flip should have put him back in during the second half to see if he had settled down.

now if only flip would sit flip down sometimes.
  19. detteam

detteam All-Star

Delfino
    Tay
    Sheed
    Jmax
    Davis
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That is exactly what I want to see. Tall, quick, and long wingspans.

Although Chauncey plays pretty big too. He was doing a great job guarding Vince last night outside the 3-point line.