The Carlos Delfino project

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

Re: The Delfino project

my big lineup:

sheed
    nazr
    mcdyess
    davis
    johnson

sheed runs the point, johnson at 2 guard, mcdyess at the 3 spot, davis at 4, and nazr at 5

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I would like to see a backcourt of Maxiell and Delfino.

3. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

no way this works out- Sheed is far too slow to run the point. Besides, he's hanging out at the 3pt land even as a PF, so he could do the same as a PG. On D, that would mean a block party. Mc Dyess is too slow to guard most SF's in this league.

don't take my post too serious :)

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Despite the fact that it is ludacris, it would still be interesting to see it tried in an NBA game. Just have the bigs play a nice zone with Tay, Max, and Sheed guarding the shooters.

Acker would be a good edition to run the point.

5. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Looks like Delphino has developed into a full fledged turn-over machine to me. He's supposed to be a "slasher." Every time he slashes in even a little bit of traffic, I find myself screaming NO! NO! Next thing you know everybody on the court is runnin the other way. WITH the ball. Or walkin the other way, WITH the call.

When Delfino get's the call, he blows the FTs; they rebound, and everybody's runnin the other way AGAIN. I won't mention his shooting. Ain't that what most folk hate about LH? Come on now. This cat is blowin layups the very next game after the "Delfino Duck." Ya think a lil thing like PRACTICE would make a difference?

I wanna like him but he's makin it awfully difficult.

6. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

Ouch that's pretty harsh there Mad Hatter about Fino being a turnover machine. I'm in the opposite camp about Carlos and he's hardly the butterfingers that Nazr displays. Carlos is a team player and is no longer looking for his shot these days and unless I'm having a LSD flashback he's not prone to turnovers. Last night's game wasn't one for the highlight reels but Fino got 6 minutes of play and he registered 2 points, a steal and a rebound so he wasn't totally useless out there. Lindsey Hunter is a point guard and Carlos is a SF/SG so I don't really compare what they bring to the table. Here's hoping Carlos redeems himself tonight and gets out of Flip's doghouse.

7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Credit where do... fine game by Carlos... Flip showed a lot of confidence late in the game... hopefully this will jump start his confidence.

8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I hear ya', but again for me his J fallin is all extra stuff for me. I like how he's always able to come up with loose ballls, rebounds and defends.....I wish he was an offensive threat from the wing, but I've come to accept the fact that he isn't....hope I'm eventually wrong because Lawd knows some consistent offensive production from him on a nightly basis would really help this team.

9. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

How you like me now? Great game by Delfino. Took hard charges, nailed key threes, great D, big steals, and handled the ball well.

On a side note, Flip M. has gotta go. He stinks.

10. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Well, he was pretty damn clutch tonight despite the loss.

11. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Interesting Coe, I mean, I mean, I mean...Tay is 6-9 (add 1.5 inches in wingspan).

Funny how we average out the "mixing it up" category.

12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Tay doesn't play big enough for my bigball lineup.

13. Terry T

Terry T First Round Draft Pick

Carlos is a guard and a playmaker. Does anyone else notice the way his body language perks up when he gets a chance to handle the ball and make a play?

Last night he initiated the half court offense a few times (I think three) and he got to run a couple of pick and rolls. I think that put him into his comfort zone and it carried over into his shooting. To get the most out of Delfino, give him the ball a half a dozen times a game and let him create for his teammates.

While he can guard small forwards, he is not a small forward, and he is definitely not a weak side spot up shooter. I believe that a lot of Carlos' shooting woes stem from being played out of position and being asked to play a role that he is unsuited for.

Besides, Victor can shoot.

14. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Agree. And you could make the same point about Tay.

15. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

Now think about this, in your career as a basketball player how many times do you get to make the best play of your life (Carlos on Wednesday hitting a trey in regulation to send the game into overtime) and the very next game you make the worst play of your life (Delfino fouling Armstrong at the end of the game tonight) in back to back games with less than a second on the clock? I sure hope Carlos doesn't let this crush his spirit because he's been playing so well lately and he just has to move on. I've already moved on and I was biting my fingernails to the quick watching this game.

16. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Excellent point Pod.

Delfino has been playing with a lot of confidence lately and his 3 in that NY game increased that confidence. That foul was a bonehead play, however the Pistons should have never been in that situation in the 1st place.

One could point the finger at Rip, who was totally out of control on a couple of possesions late in the game but redeemed himself by making two FT.

It`s up to Flip and his teammates to encourage Fino, and reassure him about his positive contributions in this game, and the past games.

17. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Yea, I'm more worried about Flip Saunders keeping faith in him. It was a dumb play, but it's hard to get too mad at a guy who is hustling after a loose ball.

BTW, anyone remember the Portland game from a couple years ago when Ben Wallace hammered Darius Miles in almost the exact same situation? It can happen to anyone. It's good that these kinks are getting worked out now, rather than later.

18. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Not exactly. In my highschool b-ball team tryouts this year I did the best the first day. The next day I messed up on a couple of drills, and I let it effect me the next 2 or 3 days. I still get angry over it because I would of easily made the team if I didn't keep thinking too much. The coach didn't know any of us, so it wasn't like he could see how good everyone was outside of the week.

Anyways hopefully Carlos doesn't let it effect him. What also has to happen is Flip can't bench the guy for that mistake unless he does stuff like this consistantly.

19. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

True dat...it was only a couple of days ago when an almost MVP last season foul a player going for a 3 pt shot. Delf is only a bench player. He has been performing good the last few games before that foul. It is Flip's duty as a coach to let him know it's not his fault on how the game should have ended this way. Flip should have gone straight to Delf right after the game and tell him not to worry about it, you did a good job throughout the whole game. Learn from your mistakes and try not to let it happen again....

20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

What if it was not a shot fake, and Delfino ducked behind the play while the winning shot was made? In other words, did he really make a mistake, or just the wrong decision-as it turned out after the fact? Remember, there was still almost a second left. Without the foul, who is to say the shot does not get made in time and go in?

Look, our starters were outscored 35-7 from the end of the 2nd quarter until the beginning of the 3rd quarter. There is the problem. Absolutely, losing Billups will hurt us, but it does not have to hurt us much. By using a different starter at center instead of Mohammed, our starters can do better than ever even with a rookie point guard starting for us. Does this seem out of topic. Well, hey, I am just showing how little significance there is in any one play compared to another very huge problem the team has.