The Carlos Delfino project

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Dec 17, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Re: The Delfino project

lee, your ability to resolve every post into a chance to campaign for Nazr to lose his starting job makes me laugh. Good stuff.
  2. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i like what mccoskey said in his Detroit News blog today. he said while the starters were hiding in the showers after the game, delfino was out there, taking it like a man, and answering every difficult question that was thrown his way. i also like what he said at the end of this quote:

"When I saw him, and it looked like he was shooting, I tried to contest him, but it was hard to control myself," said Delfino, who had nine points and seven rebounds off the bench. "I never thought the ball would end up there. It's my bad. But we don't need to keep waiting until the final minutes to win a game. We need to be smart and take care of business before that."
  3. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

This is what Delfino needed - a good slap in the face. He got his chance, final seconds of the game and he blew it. Let's hope he has real Piston DNA and doesn't let this ruin his confience. A real Piston will show up next game and dominate.
  4. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

I hope Flip will let him! Flip needs to run some plays for Delfino. He was doing better then almost all of the starters, but they didn't give him a chance to hit anything in the second half.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not sure if anyone has pointed this out, but Delfino is showing a steady improvement in his shooting. FT% improvement is huge.

2004-05
    FG%- .359
    3P%- .257
    FT%- .575

2005-06
    FG%- .403
    3P%- .333
    FT%- .672

2006-07
    FG%- .421
    3P%- .383
    FT%- .846
  6. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

I think a lot of that is because he plays every night consistantly now. At least 10-15 minutes per game. That goes a long way in helping your rhythm. The biggest improvement has been his defense from year 1 to year 2. If he hadn't done that he wouldn't be in the league today.

He's so streaky offensively though that you'll never know what those numbers will be like in 2 weeks. If he can get it up to about 45% and keep the 3P% at around 38-40%, I'll be happy. Hopefully he learns to initiate contact when he's driving the lane as well. All of the great slashers do it. Right now he's just kind of leaving the ball up there to get swatted.
  7. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

I would love to have seen that.

There should be an investigation by the commissioners office. :)
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Good eye LP. You made my night.
  9. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I'd say the problem with the starters being outscored is the fact that they don't get benched when they are playing poorly. The problem isn't the fact they are playing bad, all players do but the fact that they keep on playing even while the bench is doing better than them at the moment.
  10. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Most of us (forumites and Pistons fans) can see this problem. Only Pistons who can't see this is our coaching staff, especially the coach himslef, Flip Saunders.
  11. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I just can't believe the coaching staff doesn't see it. It's the philosophy. Flip keeps thinking that the best guys need to be out there even if they are playing bad because if they are more of a threat then the bench. This has to change soon or this team is going nowhere.
  12. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Reminds of an interview from the beginning of the season. Flip blamed the starters poor play on the bench getting too many minutes. His logic being the starters couldn't get into a groove because the bench guys were taking their minutes.

So Flip's logic seems very simple:

If he likes you, and you play badly, you get more minutes to improve.
    If he doesn't like you, and you make one bad play, you're yanked. If you play well, well it was a fluke, and you'll still get yanked (which is the point when Joe D calls, and gets you put back into the lineup).
  13. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

That comment he made was valid. The starters played poorly since the preseason was used to get the n00b's seasoned instead of the vets fine tuned. Its a good tradeoff IMO and Flip just told it like it was.

Saunders is a tactician not a strategist. He's looking at the best possible shot at this particular moment and it doesn't seem like he has an overarching goal beyond "winning a championship". Which is kinda broad and vague.
  14. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm not sure I want the coach to be looking at any other goal. He shouldn't be worrying about next year, shouldn't be worrying about who the team might draft or who they might trade for - shouldn't be doing anything else other than trying to win a championship.

You can argue that you don't think some of the things Flip does move the team towards this goal, but I don't think you can argue that this isn't his primary job.
  15. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

All I am saying is that "winning a championship" is kinda vague. HOW are you going to do that?
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He says what people want to hear.
  17. himat

himat Bench Warmer

He talks the talk, but doesn't walk the walk. He should do what people want to see.

We need to develop a bench. In Game 7 @ SA Dice and Sheed were in foul trouble so we put Tay on Ducan (which I still don't get, by the time Dice would foul out Sheed would be their to finish the 4th quarter). Let's say that kind of situation comes up again. It would be great to have Maxiell ready. I don't care if Tay is All Star caliber. Top PF's can't gaurd Duncan. A SF won't get the job done. You can't have too many good players.
  18. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

He's also playing the bench... I think some want to hate him regardless of what he does.
    As for Amir, when Joe was asked if he will play this year Joe said "Yes, the season is still early"...
    IMO, they could be showing certain players more for trades before Amir gets his shot... we might wanrt to hold off til after the deadline before drawing conclusions of what the plan is... there is also the "let's not show the world our secret until after he's signed long term" theory.
    Back to the Flip hate thing... he's playing Carlos good minutes... Brahma decent PT... quit %%%%%in so much for doing what you asked for.
  19. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Sorry it took so long to get back to ya 16.

Delfino has played a couple of good games, including the game with the bone-head move at the end since I posted last. Delf's mistake don't worry me so much. You live and learn. Delf DOES look more comfortable handling the ball, and inspires more confidence than FlipM.

I've got no problem with his defensive effort; but he simply must FINISH at a higher rate if he's gonna help us. He also needs to learn how to avoid offensive charges; since he's a slasher. BTW, that's a turnover in my book.

Bottom line is neither Delfino, Hunter or Blalock inspire confidence on so much as a contested lay-up. That don't bode well for balanced bench scoring. FlipM had a good 2nd half the other night. At least he CAN score. I'm hopin for a breakout game from him next time up. Don't be so quick to throw him under the bus.

Don't think I'm endorsin FlipM. He's already on my "trade-bait" list.
  20. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Good to hear from you Mad, and this may be off topic, but here goes. Reading your post, I just realized thinking of all the players that have been debated over the past few years, from Curry to Okur to Darko. Two things have been consistent. Most people have been wrong (I'm almost ready to burn my DHOF card considering how well Bargnani has done compared to Darko).

And that effort counts and ability. The Darvins and Curry's can't do it on effort alone, and the Darko's of the world need more than just skill.

Which brings me to Delfino, and JMax. Guys with average NBA talent and all out effort (pay attention Flip {both of yous}) have been doing well off the bench. Starting to believe in Joe again. Jmax and Delfino clearly have Piston DNA, and we need to convince Flip to play these guys over the ones without it (Flip and Nazr).

PS, one reason I love this board, everyone has their opinion, but once given the facts people see the light. i.e., once Delfino got some real time, all most everyone is applauding the guy, and once Darko got some real pt, myself and others are starting to realize he aint all that and a bag of chips (though there is still hope :p).