The Craft of Shot Blocking

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by pass99, Jan 27, 2007.

1. pass99

pass99 Team Captain Forum Donor

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It's strange that as the game has more talented big shooters and passers, and less guys staying at home playing "D", scoring still continues to stagnate.

Since the early 80s, scoring per game is down a lot, particularly in the playoffs.

I'm wondering if it is some combination of pace and the way the games are officiated. I'm sure that the diversity of playbooks has helped lead to this. To my eyes, it seems like teams ran a lot more bread and butter plays than they do now. You'll be lucky to see a team beat the same set on an opponent over and over again until they can stop it.

Disappointing that the article focuses more on Kirilenko than Ben. His block last playoffs on Shaq had to be the block of the year. Probably one of the greatest of all time.
  3. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'd say Tayshaun's block was definetely one of the greatest ever. Maybe the reason that sent Reggie into retirement.
    Ben's block was huge, too. Maybe it had gotten even more reputation if the Pistons had advanced to the finals.
  4. roscoe36

Indeed Tay's block is NBA legend now. But the article was focusing on the guys who are consistent shot blocking threats. I can't remember the last time Tay had a 3 block game.

Edit: Wow, apparently he has 3 this month already. I need to clean my glasses.
  5. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Cool article.

The next time you jump up and yell at the television "Why did you let that go", remember the last quote in the article.

"One time I blocked Shaq," says Kirilenko, who pauses to savor the moment. Then he laughs, "The next attack, I get elbowed in the face. It is part of the business."
  6. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i think it's fairly simple - expansion. teams used to be stacked...imagine if the league had only 23 teams like it did in '88, instead of 30.
  7. roscoe36

Yeah but that doesn't explain the influx of international players, improvements in training and health science or the greater scouting resources available.

In the 80s, the NBA was an almost exclusively American league. Now, almost every team has two international players (on average). That is enough to make 4 more teams.