The Darko Guarantee

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by 16 Mile, Sep 4, 2007.

1. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

I almost feel like I'm defending Michael Vick by defending Darko's desire to do X, Y, and Z, to various refs and their family members.

Also, it's amazing how Darko hijacked his own thread. This was supposed to be about rooks getting guaranteed time.

And last, considering Darko, 22 years old could say these things in public, to reporters; wow, that's a temper. Seriously, I might have said things like that about Carr, to my computer screen, when I saw the Appalachian/UM score, but to say in public. Wow

2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

IT was reported as one of the biggest failures if Serbian basketball. Considering the magnitude of the game its normal that emotions run high but dude if you have a brain...turn it on.

3. linwood

linwood All-Star

I think Darko really is a "special" player.

4. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Ha Ha Ha,! Darko starting to feel his manhood.
    Sheed taught him well.
    P.S. when I was young that's what we said when someone got in our face.

5. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

It just continues to astound me the difference between how Darko handles himself in Europe and in the U.S. His interviews here are so dull and uneventful that they are painful to watch. I am sure he has FELT just as abused over here, by his coaches, but has always just spouted the company line. He commends his teammates and says all those 'right' things.

But all the interviews I have seen and heard of from Europe have been laced with invective and expletives, not just when he was angry but when he was talking about upcoming games, etc. He seems like a totally different individual, and I really don't like what I hear from over there.

I do think he needs to apologize to the Memphis fans and teammates for any besmirching of their name, at least, and follow the boring straight and narrow over here. He has been punished over there where it happened and barring some additional things they might add like a suspension of some future Euro games, it has been handled.

Has anyone looked into the possibility of making his interview into a rap CD? My apologies to the rappers on this forum who do not participate in that low down dirty stuff, but I have heard that there is stuff that is just as bad out there. Maybe start a new division in rap, Basketball Rap or Euro Rap.

Just kidding, guys. I am still really pi$$ed at him, or at least, very disappointed in this character flaw.

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

This is obviously a ploy by his agent to create an NBA villain. They have realized that Darko can't get the endorsements by being a good citizen with average stats, so they are creating the new Laimbeer. Not a bad strategy. :sssh:

7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

@TaShawn, I thought was genuinely hot after that game. It wouldn't have been a big leap for him to go after a ref.

We've all been there in competitive sports.

Just the same, there is a line, and personalizing game events towards family members is well over it. Imagine how those relatives felt when they heard someone was saying that stuff about them. It's not good.

8. Slippy

I think Darko is far more passionate about Serbian basketball than NBA. NBA could just be a job. Serbia is hometown pride. Probably darko does use more expletives and it could be a cultural thing and a language thing since he does have to speak a foreign language here and you usually speak slower in those circumstances

9. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

yeah. well during my time in competitive sports stuff was said about your mother and sister during the game. relatives were not off limits. i never thought for one second that the other player was actually going to do something to my mother/sister. it was just crap talking.

darko's comments are serbian slang and something was lost in the translation. i have friends of other races and the things they say to people of thier own race amaze me. i would take those things very differently. darko stepped over a line and was already punished. shows over folks.

@lazyberbs.
    i'm not pissed at him. he's the serbian gangster and his behavior is different in europe. long as he keeps that mess in europe it's fine with me. what's the saying when in rome do as the romans do or something. the fans behavior and the refs behavior and the players behavior is different in europe. i'm willing to bet his tirade was not all that strange for the european audience. he needs to give the memphis org and fans a bottled apology and come to the nba and take memphis to the playoffs and all will be forgiven.

10. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

I'm with you, bball jay.

When I used to photograph the University of Dayton basketball teams, prior to my coming to MI in '66, there was a player from a very small town near Dayton. He played on the same UD frestman team with Roger Brown and Bill Chimielewski (from Detroit). He was a farm boy and one of the nicest guys you would ever want to meet.

But when he got on the floor during a game, you could hear him talking to the guy he was guarding. He was using the foulest, most vile language against him that you could imagine. It always concerned the guy's mother or wife or girlfriend and I could not believe what he was saying about them or what he would l do to them.

I was never able to imagine why these other guys would take it, but it never seemed to bother them. They would seldom even react and after the games, never an encounter.

I never had anyone do those things to me on the floor and I could not imagine it even happening.

It was during those days that I found out the things the players did to each other on the floor that I had never known before. The camera caught things that I did not see in real time with my own eyes. One guy that comes to mind is Wes Unseld got away with a lot. The worst one was the forward from LA who played with Jerry West. I have a senior moment going on right now and I cannot remember his name, but he was a power forward and one who is recognized as one of the best early players. Darn it!!!

11. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Really? Well my experience right here in the D is exactly the opposite. The unwritten LAW was you never talked about somebody's mother unless you wanted to part with some teeth. Game or no game. Just about anything else was fair game though. But those who were not aware of the "unwritten LAW" had a very rude awakening.

Darko must be the only Serbian player in the NBA. Or maybe the only one from his "neighborhood" in Serbia. Cause I don't recall any other Serbian players making this sort of outburst. Particularly those who have reached their hype er...potential.

Be real careful with this one. A lot of what you hear may be said in a certain context that you may not be aware of; or fully understand. This might be described as an "art," NOT a "science." Everybody ain't an artist.

12. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

yeah. well everything you say can be a loaded remark. i had buddies who would sit and talk about each other's mom every lunch hour. they would play the yo momma game every day. it was understood however that you couldn't play this game with everyone. i don't recall anyone ever getting as filthy as darko did about someone's mother though.

this was my first serbian interview that i watched. when darko does nba interviews it's in english and it's very politically correct in my opinion. so maybe darko felt that was an appropriate serbian response. i know i may say things differently in an interview or business lunch than i do at the bar. there's a time and a place for things darko just misjudged this one badly.

in my opinion darko is going to exceed the hype in the next few years. he's figured out that he's not only more talented than the rest of the big men. he now knows that he's stronger and faster than them too.

exactly. that's why i don't question it or join in.

13. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

14. Slippy

is this even in the same class??? :yellowprison:

15. max

max All-Star

Thats a very good point.

16. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

oh my, Darko truly acts like a typical serbian construction worker- all this blusterin, referring to the ref's mum and calling him "penis" (but not the nice version). I don't understand serbian too well, but well enough to know that he acted really dull in that interview.

17. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Hassan Gonsalves.
    $15 tennis shoes now worth $100

18. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

The fact that you have to ask that question is troubling.

19. Slippy

What is more offensive, Darko's tirade where he's going to rape a referee's wife and daughter or Brittney Spears' "comeback"? Brittney Hall of Famers claim that much of what is depicted can be dismissed as a 'cultural misunderstanding' and despite universal disgust and scorn, something was lost in the translation. BHOF'ers have also pointed out that MANY overweight women dance in lingerie in the privacy of their own homes so Brittney doing the same thing on stage is just part of what makes America so foreign to the rest of the world. Well, as long as Brittney does that on MTV and not in concert in my hometown, its all good. She still has worlds of potential.

20. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

That's the first time Darko has been compared to Brittney Spears as far as I remember. I think the BHOF'ers also claim that the reason she isn't producing any good music is because she wants to make the other singers look better.