1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

The Darko Milicic- Thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by TWOTIMESRALPHI, Dec 18, 2005.

1. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm not referring to anything in particular. Just want to talk about the #2 pick who stands between a potential All- Star Center and the worst #2 pick since ... Bowie?
    Right now, it seems that Brown wasn't to blame about his weak development- according to Detnews, Saunders is having problem with his attitude as well. He doesn't seem to be willed to give everything he has during garbage time and behaves as if everything should be given to him without asking for anything.

2. beer_is_proof

beer_is_proof Second Round Draft Pick

Listen up Darko, no excuses!

I have 2 sons, one 21, and the other 20. Sometimes, a kid (like Darko) needs to be told he is wrong!

The person doing the telling needs to be strong (Joe Dumars) and mean it. You cannot back down.

Darko, you are wrong. You don't try hard enough. Most people now don't even care if you make it or not. Either get hour head on straight, and bust your but, or do us all a favor and quit. The world never, never, never needs a pouter or a whiner.

amen

3. congoman

congoman First Round Draft Pick

A message to Darko
    Comments: Kid...I have been one of your supporters. I have looked for the best in you and rationalized the worst. Its time for you to shape up or you will be alone in this often cruel city.

Drop the attitude. You haven't earned the right to be cocky and rude. When I tried to congratulate you in Las Vegas, you wouldn't even acknowledge it. You need to at least be nice to your fans.

You have to bust your ass when ev er you get playing time...in a game or practice. This will tell your bosses that you want to play. Pouting will get you nowhere. Effort will get you everywhere.

When you do play, get tough and mean. I know you can do it. I've seen it in flashes from you. Develop a reputation for being nasty. When you rebound, go hard and high to the ball. It is your ball and don't let someone else take it away from you. When you are close to the basket dunk it hard with both bands. Dunk with a vengence.

When someone is coming in to the basket, always try to stop them even if you take a foul or a charge. Most of the time you will get the block anyway. You could become the best blocker in the league if you wanted to.

I don't worry about your shot. You have a good stroke. They will fall.

Don't be to arrogant to ask for help and criticism from Flip, Joe and your teamates. You know you have a problem knowing where to be on the floor. Have somebody reveiw tape and tell you what you should have done.

Find Bill Lambeer and ask him to teach you some of what he knows.

Darko, right now you are losing it. You have a chance if you make some changes.

Good luck, Kid

4. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Darko,
    Don't forget to check your LB diapers at the Palace door.... this is a mans game.

5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Darko isn't going anywhere unless he tries hard. ben probably wouldn't even make a college team if he didn't work his ass off, but he did now look at him.

6. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

bashing

is this a darko in general thread or a darko bashing thread??

people forget that darko is on a championship team. darko wants exactly what the other lottery picks were given. flip and lb were trying to prove points to darko saying work hard in garbage time you need to earn it. but the fact is all other lottery picks were not given this treatment. they were instead given the keys to the franchise, green lights, and major minutes. why get mad at darko and saying he has an attitude problem when he wants exactly what everybody else picked that high gets. he's waited his time now it's time for him to get a legit oppurtunity. not some work hard during garbage time and maybe someone will get injured and you'll get some minutes mess.

flip needs to put his minutes where his mouth is. when darko was playing well it didn't earn him any more minutes. nobody notices that but they are quick to point out darko doesn't play hard when his minutes were cut to garbage time only.

how hard do you work for a company with no chance of advancement??

7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Neither. Looks like it will turn into a battleground as usual though.

Why don't you take a chill pill and re-read what [strike]clingman[/strike] Beer is Proof and congo wrote. They are both Darko supporters.

8. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I started writing a level-headed response but it didn't feel quite right. Instead let me just say that DARKO BLOWS. Not just a waste of a pick. What a waste of a player.

Flip gave Darko minutes. Darko lost them. He may have lost them in practice.

All the time. I worked as a PA on movies and commecials and being the low end of the totem pole you could see other people just not interested in the job and giving a piss poor effort. Well EVERYONE was watching. The people that put in the effort to do the crappy jobs good moved up...maybe not in that movie or company...but in another group. We judge people in other companies when we see them too.

9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

(1) Sorry, but nobody in here forgets that.

(2)Yeah. He WANTS. Give Me. I am DARKO. That's the problem man, his sense of entitlement.

(3) For 4 million dollars a year? I work my friggin' ARSE off!!!!!!!!

10. bball jay

i am ready for battle.

yes. i read what they wrote but i also read what the others wrote. i will defend darko to the end. this won't be settled until darko gets some major minutes. i'll be in here battling until the end.

tell the darko bashers to take chill pills too.

11. Darth Tater

Slippy,

You've had an epiphany!!! Welcome to the real world, my friend.:laugh: Do you want to join the play Maxiel hall of fame club now?

12. bball jay

flip gave darko minutes and he responded with leading the nba in blocks. he was not only not rewarded when the season started but he was punished with less minutes eventually only garbage time.

well if darko had an oppurtunity to move up then we could have this convo. but put it simply there is no room to move up and darko knows it. he may have to go to another company for a chance to advance.

1. people act like they forget. darko is on a championship squad behind 3 former all stars. so the minutes simply aren't there. there aren't any minutes to earn. those minutes are all taken up by vets for thier past + present performance. how can darko overcome that.

2. he's a # 2 pick he is entitled. look at how other teams do after they don't take care of thier young players. other young players are getting it whether they are good or not. how can you ask a 20 year old not to want what the other 20 years olds are being given??

3. 4 million is relative. right now there are other jobs willing to pay at least 4 million and plenty of perks for darko. so you have to weigh 4 million and not be given a chance or 4 million + a chance to play + maybe the face of the franchise + warmer weather.

13. bball jay

maxiell has earned some minutes with his garbage time play in my opinion. i'm all for some minutes for maxiell. but his play proves one of my points that no matter how well you do in garbage time. no matter how hard you work in garbage time. sometimes the coach still doesn't play you. minutes aren't all about being earned they are given.

14. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i just can't agree with this. flip's stated several times that he doesn't care what the size of your contract is, what pick you were, whether you won a championship in college, etc. minutes are earned and not given, no one is entitled to them.

darko is still very young and i believe he can be a solid player in this league after seeing how he performed in the preseason. i don't think anyone here will disagree with you ... but the problem is in the real games, he looks like the darko of last year, not the preseason darko. flip gave him decent minutes early, but there were 2-3 games in a row where darko played very poorly and flip lost his confidence in him. now he has to work extra hard to earn his chance at better minutes and proving himself.

15. detteam

detteam All-Star

I've been trying to make sense out of your blind allegiance to Darko in the face of overwhelming evidence of his bustdom.

1) Are you hoping to be able to one day say 'I told you so' on the slim chance Darko cracks a rotation somewhere?

2) Were you on the debate team in HS?

3) Is Darko your cousin?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

_

16. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

I don't have anything new to add to this (who does?), except maybe another layer of mystery about this enigma on our bench.

Doesn't it seem weird that we frequently read stories about what the other guys do (for example, the rookies visited St. Jude's Hospital in Memphis yesterday), but not about the team's most talked-about player? I swear, if I was Darko's agent I'd have him pressing the flesh in public and doing charities with all the Serbs and Slavs around metro Detroit. Heck, even Memo and Darvin were going to do a "Turkey and Ham" event a couple of years ago for Thanksgiving, until Okur had to head home because of a bomb scare. But Darko just seems so isolated, and I can't figure out if he's a jerk or fatally introverted. It's like he wants to just disappear into the background, as he does in games.

If Joe believes in him and cares as much as indicated, then a trade is inevitable -- not only for the Pistons' own good, but for Darko's. I really think he can be a player, and if he can't do it here we should help him do it somewhere else before all the frustrations affect team chemistry.

17. Darth Tater

Yeah, it really looks like it's all about "me" with Darko.

The only remaining thing that puts a touch of doubt in my mind and the only reason I hold a small glimmer of hope for that guy is because Sheed and Chauncey took up for him. That just doesn't seem to fit with everything else we have seen and heard. :ohwell:

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe he really is a Serbian ganster, and the Pistons are just a witness protection program for him.

19. bball jay

i would believe flip when he said this if he wasn't playing antonio mcdyess, mo evans and dale davis. all of them had several stretches of bad games especially mo. i guess they just earned thier minutes from the reputation they had before hitting the court as a piston. that is not my idea of earning minutes. it sounds like entitlement to me.

in the preseason he was also played differently. he was given at least 15 minutes. he responded with leading the nba in blocks. in the regular season his minutes and role was cut before he had the stretch of 2 or 3 bad games. those game after the dnpcd's for no reason. he looks somewhat like the garbage time darko of last year. i'll give you that but his coach is playing him the same way too garbage time. darko is basically a rookie everyone besides flip i guess knew he would have up and down games.

2 - 3 games in a row mcdyess played bad. evans is still messing up yet he's on the floor just as much. dale davis has come out and made no impact on the game at all but he's still on the floor.

20. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

quick question..

Bballj,

Assuming Darko does have some common sense.....

If Flip says that in order for Darko to play he will have to play hard in practice and dominate during garbage minutes....why doesn't he do it?

Is it inability or stupidity?

Why is it that every other player in the league who "earns" minutes can dominate easily when playing against the second unit, but Darko can't? How do you think Villanueva would perform in a similar situation? How about Frye? Do you think Dwight Howard would have folded given the same pressure?

I think you might be asking the wrong questions.

Instead of dwelling on how Darko hasn't done anything to warrant getting benched while playing....you should be asking yourself what has Darko been doing lately to force the coach to leave him in the game.

I think we all may have to come to terms that Darko just isn't a good fit with the Pistons.

This is a team predicated on earning your spot and coming to work hungry and energized every night.

Unfortunately, this is not a part of young Darko's game.