1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

The Darko Milicic- Thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by TWOTIMESRALPHI, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Tyskillz

Tyskillz First Round Draft Pick

My goodness man, you are a seriousl emotional wreck over this Darko issue! You've got to be kidding to even ask if Evans, Sheed, Arroyo, or even Davis have paid dues!?! HE11 yeah they've paid their dues man, not to mention their games speak mightily for themselves while Darko's isn't really saying much of anything yet. Seriously you can't logically try to compare this attitude spouting, lazy rookie to any of the vets on this squad and expect him to get the same billing they get.... Just doesn't work that way pal.

2. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Darko, from an unemtional, non biased, Joe D point of View. Trust Me.

2 years from now, DMC becomes a restricted free agent. Sheed has 2 years left on his contract worth 13 mil in the last season. Big Ben (hopefully) is in the 2nd year of his contract. Jmax and Delfino's options are due. CB, unrestricted free agent. Dice, unrestricted free agent.

Some serious stuff going on. What do you do?
    1. Sign CB, whatever it takes
    2. Trade Sheed, his future expiring contract will be worth gold
    3. Sign Darko, cause he needs to replace Sheed
    4. Sign Delfino
    6. Sign Jmax, to replace Dice
    7. Dynasty continues

New lineup: CB, Rip, Tay, Darko, Ben--JMax, Arroyo, and Delfino off the bench. Acker, Johnson, and Sheed's trade bait developing in farm system

Dynasty continues
    (did I say this wasn't biased? oops)

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Pass the hallucinogens man. Reality bites.

4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

You missed a very important fact in that post

Darko had sat for two years before playing that summer league. That summer league, finally, was a time for him to start getting use to playing actual games again. Funny you did not mention this.

Further, your original post did not make this qualification about Darko being a bust considering where he was drafted, so its really to late to introduce it as an argument now. Sure, you can call it a clarification of your original post. But understand this, if you had made that clarification originally, I would not even have bothered responding to it. It would have been balanced at least somewhat. (As it was, it was not.)

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Are you implying that Darko has sat on that bench every single day since he was drafted? I find it hard to believe that his stunt double got those speeding tickets and is out chasing the skirts while Darko sits alone in a dark Palace of Auburn Hills night after night.

I never wrote that Darko was a bust. Perhaps you should re-read my original post the same number of times you rewatch games. ;)

lee, it is impossible for me to clarify every single excuse and circumstance. I was going to document the fascinating life of Darko at humanvictorycigar.com (no joke, i own the domain) but instead am concentrating those efforts on my new "Free The Brahma" Blog.

I would like to make one clarification at this point though.

Have a Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year. :D

6. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

This DMC Thing Sure Gets People's Dander Up

Too bad he doesn't get as emotional on the court during games as those that post opinions about him on this board do. LOL

7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Seriously. I cannot understand where all of this undying loyalty and devotion come from. The guy has done nothing whatsoever for us. Not on the court and not in the community. It's absolutely mind boggling.

8. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

none of them paid dues as a piston. they walked onto the court as soon as they came. it's a crazy thought that a player has to pay dues with another team before he can get some play with the pistons. why does darko have to pay dues?? why invest in a player if all you are going to do is make him pay his dues then watch him run off to another team when his free agency year comes up. memo sure paid his dues right. a lot of good it did the pistons.

dale davis isn't doing better than darko when he's on the court. dale davis is getting minutes based on his past. darko does outplay davis when he plays effort or not. evans may play hard but he screws up just as often if not more than darko.

not playing a young player just because he hasn't paid his dues is stupid. ask cola about that tay was clearly better than curry yet cola stuck to curry because he had paid his dues.

it's because he can do something for the team. he just hasn't been given the chance to. the guy seriously wants to contribute. i don't understand the hatred toward a guy that just wants to play basketball. he's done nothing against us either.

some people choose to show love some choose to hate.

9. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

bballj,

Darko has not been impressive in practice lately.

Darko has not been impressive in his limited minutes lately.

If Darko doesn't do well in practice and well in his limited minutes, what has he done LATELY to warrant playing time?

"I know you Darko....You da Firetruck man!....Darko....What have you done for me LATELYYYYYYYYY" - Eddie Murphy

I would also argue that Darko is not the first player to perform well in the preseason (by your account) and not do squat during the regular season.

What do you see Darko doing TODAY to get back in the rotation?

Is this the Coach's responsibility? Your responsiblity?

Nope. This is all up to Darko bro. So stop coddling and let one of your favorite Pistons accept some responsiblity. If he is in the coach's doghouse, he has to figure out a way to get out. All of the skill in the world is useless if there is no mental toughness to match. This is only one obstacle in Darko's way. An NBA career will be filled with many more obstlaces that can deter his confidence. Maybe you should go to the Bench and hold his hand during the games. It might inpsire him to do better. :)

10. Darth Tater

Speaking for myself, I do not hate the guy. He's just appears at this point to be a lazy, spoiled, immature kid. If I'm peeved at anyone it is Dumars (who I have a great deal of admiration for overall). Dumars took a chance and it sure looks like he blew it.

I make fun of Darko, yes. He doesn't see it anyhow and if he did maybe it would motivate him (although being titled "the human victory cigar" didn't seem to help any).

I'm not kidding. I really don't understand why you guys are so protetive of him. Maybe he hasn't just been thrown into a starting lineup like many other top draft picks. So? He has been given some opportunities to play and he gives a half-hearted effort and sulks.

I was with you until this year. However, New coach (this one a good guy)..but same story. The petulant child needs to show me something. Until then I'm going to enjoy the fire engine jokes. At least I'll get some enjoyment out of our #2 pick that way.

11. clingman

clingman First Round Draft Pick

I would say I am much closer to BBall and Lee then most folks are in here... however If Darko isn't going to grab the bull by the horns and make it impossible for us to keep him off the bench then he's not showing the mental toughness i would demand out of him to be playing. What would Darko have done as a Junior high player and was a buddy with Jordon when he got CUT... not told to sit the bench... Would he taken it as a challenge and become the best player in the world or would he cryed and not tried?

Darko has all the skill in the world, and has two years of excellent teaching from coaching and players.... come on he's been practicing against the best. Now is the time for him to show if he has the DNA of a Piston or he has the DNA of a bookworm.

Darko its all up to you

12. bball jay

have you been in practice?? darko was impressive in major minutes. he led the nba in blocks. so this to me is a situation where the coach didnt' put darko in a situation where he could succeed. if you know darko plays best during meaningful minutes and he doesn't play well during garbage time as a coach which time would you play him??

flip and lb choose to play darko during garbage time to prove a point to the kid and teach a lesson. what they should be doing as coaches is getting the most out of thier players.

this point would be valid if his replacement was doing any better. his replacement is actually doing worse than darko in limited minutes. how do you justify playing dale davis if he isn't doing better than darko??

your point isn't valid because his replacement is doing worse than darko was. this proves my point that playing time isn't simply based on whether you do well or not. i feel flip hasn't done anything to convey to darko what he wants him to do to get more minutes.

i don't see darko doing anything because he isn't on the court to redeem himself and work through the mistakes. something the rest of the team is allowed to do.

you are wrong about it being the coaches responsibility. i think it's up to flip to get the most out of his players. when mcdyess was throwing bricks up flip let him play and work his way out of it. when mo evans makes turnover after turnover misses defensive assignment after another flip continues to play him. ben wallace misses free throw after free throw. carlos arroyo dribbles out the clock flip continues to go to him.

the pistons shouldn't be trying to put obstacle's in his way. that's my point if you don't take care of your draft picks they will bolt for another team as soon as they are free agents. but at least you didn't compromise yourself and let a young player get away with wanting to be treated fairly when compared to other high draft picks.

13. bball jay

how can you call leading the nba in blocks a half-hearted effort. the only time darko sulked was when his minutes were taken away without warning when he was obviously doing well. he's 20 years old i don't understand why some of you are so hard on him. yes he's in a position that most of us would envy sitting on the bench making millions. but you aren't looking at it from darko's perspective. darko has never played major minutes at any level. he needs to play to get better he will not come in and dominate just because he's been practicing for 2 years.

he isn't spoiled at all. that's the point the pistons should be taking care of thier young players. simple as that. the only way you can hope to resign your young talent is to take care of them. make them feel a part of the team a part of the city a part of the future.

14. bball jay

not a good comparison. cause in reality a 7 footer would just go to another school that wanted to give him a chance and dominate. darko isn't in a situation where he must succeed as a piston that's where a lot of people get mixed up. if the pistons don't want to give him a chance i bet at least 3/4 of the league would. the pistons have to make darko want to stay a piston.

i don't understand people darko was playing well but he was sat right back on the bench. if leading the nba in blocks don't get you some minutes i don't know what does. he shuts down the paint when he comes in the game. yet still no minutes. guys are getting minutes over him that are doing worse than him in the game. so i'm sure darko is confused about what exactly to do to grab the bulls by the horn and get some playing time.
    practice is much different than games. darko hasn't played major minutes on any level really. he's very inexperienced but he's doing quite well in my opinion. he needs someone to help him along though. if you are going to just throw him to the sharks do it fully. don't throw him in the water let the sharks take a bite then take him out the game before he can fight back. he isn't getting the minutes to make up for his mistakes it's really unfair but in the end it will cost the pistons a high draft pick, millions of dollars, a big hole in our front line when sheed, ben, mcdyess get too old, a championship all because we didn't want to develop a player we wanted to skip steps.

15. Darth Tater

Alonzo Mourning holds that distinction with 89 blocks.

Darko is tied for 76th place in the NBA this REGULAR season with 14 blocks.

Jay...do you even know who had the best preseason record in the NBA this year (without peeking). Do you care? Does anyone?????

16. bball jay

i am not so sure on the preseason stats. i did not specify that i was talking about the preseason. but i know darko was leading at one point. even if he didn't lead the nba during the preseason you don't think coming in second to alonzo mourning is significant?? what could he have done instead to look like he was giving effort???

nope his leading the nba in blocks in the preseason hasn't translated to the regular season. he is still blocking plenty of shots for the time he's in. but it should have bought him some minutes and some chances to make mistakes and regain his preseason form.

nope. don't know who had the best record.

17. Darth Tater

My point was that Darko does not lead the NBA in blocks. He isn't even close.

You had said "how can you call leading the nba in blocks a half-hearted effort?"

My point was that he is nowhere near the leader in NBA blocks, so I'm not sure what your statement was in reference to, if it wasn't in reference to the preseason.

18. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Gimme Left Town

Give PT, Lose Respect. Seems a pretty simple concept. Playing the undeserving on a veteran team dosen't risk Ws. It never will. Too many livelihoods depend on winning for that to happen. It (PT for Rooks and such) was never about losing games.
    Whether you believe in the concept of EARNING your way is moot. Believe this, Flip, LB4LB, and any coach placed into this situation is far less likely to risk loss of respect from his core players by playing someone not willing to give the same 110%. Coaches ask for Hustle and Aggressiveness first.

Darko discovered how to get the job in October, but hasn't learned how to keep it.</B></B></B>

19. bball jay

cola gave pt to curry, lb gave pt to darvin ham, flip is giving pt to dale davis. playing the young guys hasn't lost us a game yet. that's a misconception that when you play your young guys you instantly lose. actually darko is outplaying the vet that flip is using to replace him.

lb never asked for 110% from his core players. sheed coasted for large parts of the season. tay would vanish on a regular basis lb's first year. darko has been willing to give 110 during meaningful minutes. nobody on the team gets out on the pick and roll like darko. nobody on the team patrols the paint like darko trying to block everything in sight. see how hard sheed would play in garbage time only. he would coast and protect his body.

20. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I was watching the pistons training camp clip again and joe dumars talks about Darko just being able to show what he can do in the NBA now that he's 20.

People talk about being in the league for 3 years. Darko has had little opportunity to show the NBA what he can do; good or bad. However, the NBA in those same three years has shown Darko what it can do to him. Media scrutinty. ridicule. Hatred from Fans. Mind games from coaches. Not all the obstacles you face appear in front of you. Some obstacles you bring with you from your past.

What is mental toughness? Is that never getting knocked down? Can it include picking yourself up when you do? Flips most recent interview hints that Darko's picking himself up.