The Final Analysis:Will It Come Down To Coaching or Imposing Will?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Mar 19, 2007.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I like Rasheed wondered why the big lineup after Dallas went small.

Is Flip capable of coaching in the big game? I try very hard not to question some of Flip's coaching decisions (I even had a problem with Flip keeping the starters in during a blowout in PHX).

Some may say lets not get your panties in a bunch over one loss, its not the lost and right now the Pistons are playing excpetionally well, even with CB sitting on the bench.

Unfortunately, during the playoffs, it is going to come down to coaching, the experience factor will kick in big time. Flips coacing ability will come uder a great deal of scurtiny not only by the media but by this great forum also.

I would like to go on record by saying that; during the playoffs and we get into a hot contested tight game like the one we had on sunday, let the Captains run the show, call the plays on the floor.

Flip's play calling becomes a curiosity at times, granted, I haven't had the opportunity to watch every game this season and only during those times where I have been blessed with watching them on NBC or TNT.

But those few games I have been exposed to more than a few questionable plays.

2. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Dallas going small was a turning point in the game, but I don't think the key one. They outscored the Pistons by eight before Detroit also went small. I'm thinking the game might have ended there without the Pistons also getting a little smaller. Sure, I would have rather seen them impose their will and pound Dallas down low, forcing them to change their lineup, but that's tough to do without a point guard, and with a swarming Dallas defense that wasn't allowing much single coverage when a big man did get a post pass.

After the Pistons pulled Dice for Murray they went on an 8-3 run to tie the game back up. Dallas then wins the game with Dampier and Nowitzki on the floor versus Wallace and Webber - big versus big. Sheed going one for five with three misses from three in the fourth and Rip shooting one for four and two for seven from the line was when the game really turned. I just can't see laying all of this loss at Flip's feet.

3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Well said dba.... Sheed had Stack guarding him on a few occasions... that should be an automatic recognition.. even if he's double teamed he can simply turn and pop over the smaller players.
    I thought Flip Muray played out of control near the end instead of respnding to what was available.

4. max

max All-Star

We used to complain all the time when Brown used to match down. Its Not something Flip invented.

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

6. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

After reading Jack McCallum’s :07 Seconds or Less, you can gain some important insight revolving around the playoff atmosphere and how the coaches/players respond.

From the coaching perspective, they analyze and ultra-analyze everything. Chart boards have philosophical teachings, Zen maneuvers and instructions on all opposing players. It is here that we learn that Iavaroni is equal to the chart board work of Stan Van Gundy. The entire coaching staff is heavily involved and the thoughts on strategic approaches are relentless.

The players are psychologically fragile. Many are on the edge and continually wonder: not what they did do, but what they didn’t do. This is one of the many techniques that the coaches turn toward in making player critiques (statistics are rarely used to make a point).

Here is the locker room after the Suns were beaten by the Mavericks and are down 2-1 during the playoffs (May 28, 2006). Nash is giving a post-game talk:

“The players listen and some nod their heads. But it’s a quiet room. Nash is obviously upset. What should happen now is that someone else stands in support, echo what Nash has to say, then call everyone together and turn it into a positive. Perhaps Bell would’ve been that second voice had he played in the game, but the timing is not right for an injured player to make a speech. James Jones had tried before and it didn’t work. Brian Grant is a respected voice, but he hasn’t played since God knows when. Tim Thomas is too new. Boris Diaw doesn’t have the personality to address the team, nor does Barbosa. No, it should be Marion, the other co-captain. But he stays seated, perhaps because he thinks that Nash is talking mostly to him.” (Page 274).

So in the end Coe (in my mind), it comes down to imposing will.

7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Great post pass99. I'm gunna get that book.

8. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I think the turning point of the game was Rip missing 5 free throws out of 7 attempts. Plain and simple.

He makes those foul shots like he normally does and we win.

:hoops:

9. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Didn't I say that?

10. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Actually Rasheed wondered why Saunders didn't stay big:

from detnews:

Which goes even further to illustrate how hindsight can be 20/20.

No matter what choice Flip makes, in a loss it will have been the wrong one.

I tend to agree with the guys that point out Rip and Rasheeds poor shooting display during winning time than something like who was on the floor.

If Detroit would have won there would be fans on the Mavericks boards chastising Avery for playing smallball.:cold: