The Flex vs The Right Way

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Nov 13, 2005.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Army girl appears right on with her comments about Flippers Flex offense.

Playing "The Right Way"

In 2003-04 the Pistons shot 43.5% and averaged 90.1 points a game

In 2004-05 the Pistons shot 44.4% and averaged 93.3 points a game

So far this year playing "Flipper Flex Ball"

The team is shooting 48.6% and averaging 100.7 points a game

Considering the Knicks start maybe Brown's methods should be called "The Wrong Way"

2. himat

himat Bench Warmer

our offense looks a whole lot better, and our defense is still as good maybe even better. flip is trying to use zone sometimes, and it could just throw the other team off and make them even less efficient on offense against the pistons. phoenix scored a lot for whart people expect out of the pistons defense, but in the 4th quarter when it really counted the pistons shut phoenix down. besides a lot of those points in the first 3 quarters was because of the pistons turnovers not because of their defense. also when the pistons were down 10 at the half in portland they came out and kept the blazers to only 13 3rd quarter points, and 33 in the second half to comeback and win.

3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Ok now give us the defensive numbers for those years. What is important is the point difference between our average score and the opponent average score. i.e. 100.7 - ? = [difference]

4. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I Promise To Be Nice In Answering Your Question

Playing The Wrong Way

2003-04 PAG 84.3 + 5.8
    2004-05 PAG 89.5 + 3.8

Playing Flipper Flex Ball

2005-06 PAG 87.7 + 13.0

All of this with the same starting five.

Cheers

5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

It's really difficult to say what would have been different "if" and all of that, but I will say this...I am loving the fact that the Knicks are 0-5.

I don't think it's all Brown's fault or anything, but he does make the game plan. That doesn't mean the players are following it properly, but ultimately some of that has to fall back on the coach.

If they were 5-0 we all know he would be getting just about ALL of the credit. That wouldn't be fair either.

77 games to go Larry. I hope you lose 50 of them.

Does anyone else sense a "medical leave" coming soon? :p

6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Playing the right way

I'm glad LB is gone and I'm also glad the Knicks are struggling. "Playing the right way", though, had to do with making the extra pass, helping your guy out on defense, rebounding, working hard as a team, etc. What the Pistons did while winning the Championship under LB provided a great example for youth coaches to use at clinics and practices. Belittling what LB did for the Pistons is simple-minded and short-sighted.

7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

That's an excellent Pt. diff. Budda. The guys were shooting 59% through the 2sd q. in Phoenix. So much confidence. Sheed killed with the bomb against Portland. Let's see what these numbers look like 20 games in. And why wouldn't you answer nice? I want to see the whole world. ;)

8. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Your first two stat lines are based on 82 games. Your third stat line is based on 6 games. Something tells me that +13 goes down. What is disturbing from your stats is the 2-point difference from LB's first season to his second. No adjustment made it appears to open up the offense.

9. max

max All-Star

Lots of things

That were good and bad the past 2 seasons. The 1st season was great. Billups became a real PG, Rip developed a more rounder game. Entire team was focused and on the same page.

The 2nd season was not a good coaching job. The team was not ready to start the season and was not motivated in the 1st half. Sheed had the worst season of his career. Started morst games with a shot by Ben which everyone knew was comming. No trust in the bench. Darko and Delfino would have had to be traded if LB returned.

We got lucky last season that Indy was not at 100% because they would have won more than 54 games and the Pistons would have had to play from the 4th seed. Thats a tough road to the Finals.

Flip is an offensive genious adding that to an already great defensive team. And we get to keep the young guys. Making a run at the title while developing the future Pistons at the same time. Great position to be in. Its also really helping guys like Arroyo and Darko play a lot more relaxed and focused not having to worry about the coach freaking out if they make a mistake.

10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

It kinda went like this Max, Carlisle teaches the basics and stall ball and Dee of course. Took us almost to the top.
    ...JD doesn't hesitate and pulls in LB. He teaches more Dee and authories a little fast break and balanced Off. We clear the top.
    ...Coach issues and JD doesn't hesitate and pulls in Flip. Offense over the top. Why? The guys are ready for it. And the coach is too. JD is just pulling strings making beautiful Bball music.