1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

The Future?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by RipBillupsRJC, Apr 4, 2006.

1. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

Jus' wondering . . What do you think the Pistons' roster will hold in the future? Complete teams like the one we have right now don't come around too often, so Joe-D will probably have to work his magic in creating a new 'ship-worthy crew after this era of Detroit basketball. I don't see Dumars following the generic rebuilding lines- keeping the whole team young, and all-, but something along the lines of what he did to envoke our present team.

2. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Tough to say. I'd like to think Amir/Delfino/Max are here for the long haul, but in 5-6 years we could just as easily see a complete make-over. Joe already turned the roster completely over once, and I'm sure he's not afraid to do it again if the situation calls for it.

3. max

max All-Star

Look for 2-3 guys to be delt right after the 1st dissapointing post-season. Maybe thats an overstatement but something will happen in that case.

4. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Might well be an understatement given the changes he undertook after loosing in the ECF.

HEY FLIP !!!!! The last two playoff losses resulted in coaching changes. :eyebrows:

5. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

sometimes it's fun to dream of which players I'd like to see in a Pistons- jersey.
    On top of that list is Elton Brand- undersized, powerful, a warrior- Pistons DNA!
    2. Dwight Howard
    3. Samuel Dalambert- if he works on his condition, he can be a 2nd Ben
    4. Chris Bosh
    5. Jamal Maagloire
    6. Dan Gadzuric
    7. Josh Smith
    I'm not having much faith in Acker, Maxiell and Amir Johnson- they seem to have some skills, but they're no championship material. I hope I'm wrong, especially bout AJ.

6. max

max All-Star

lemonpen - yes how soon we forget. ECF finals 03 sent Unkle Spliffy packing. Chuckie and RC also for all practical purposes. But it was RC's 2nd season. I do think there is a lot of pressure to extend Flip for a few seasons or its going to get to the point where no coach is going to want to come here.

TWOTIMES - there is an opening for Acker next season. Don't know if he is up to it or not but that 3rd guard spot could be his.

Maxial being a upperclassmen draftee I would imagine will not be willing for wait but AJ can afford to stay in the shadows for a few years without losing face. I doubt the casual fan even knows AJ is on the roster.

My future list includes but is not restricted to.

1) Bosh - with him its not will he leave but which team will he choose.

2) D.Howard - If Orlando is not going anywhere he could be looking to get out.

3) Lebron James? Its possible. How much longer will it be before he realizes that Clev is not a major player.

7. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Hmm.. I was just wondering what have these players done for you to doubt their potential? You have to give Acker and Amir at least some credit for being standouts in the D-League thus far.

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Well, they are a step ahead of Ben who was not only undrafted but it can be said that he is lacking in many basic basketball skills like ballhandling and shooting.

I really don't understand how you can doubt AJ who was Mr. Basketball in California and recruited to a major NCAA program. If he had gone to college, the guy was a lottery pick LOCK. He's 19 years old, and already showing more in high school and the D-League than Darko showed in Serbia as a professional teenage player.

9. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Acker is quite old- that may be his only and last chance to get his spot in this team or even in the league.

Nothing- but in general, Championship material doesn't get drafted that late. My reason to have some believe in Johnson is that he came dropped out right of HS. But Acker played 4 college seasons. When you are not ready after that, when?
    I just don't buy that hype about the rookies. Sure, they've shown skills in the D- league. But the likes of Mateen Cleaves do that too. The quality of this young project league is still doubtable.
    AJ is still young, that's right- that's why I hope I'm wrong about him. I surely have more faith in him than in Acker. Still, he's got a long way to go to become a starter on a championship favourite- so he's gotta keep workin' til our frontcourt has become to old, let's say in about 3 years, when he's 22 and no excuses.

10. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I read a quote from one of them the other day (in some article that someone thoughtfully provided a link to ). Basically said he wished they had come down earlier so they could have made the playoffs and won the championship. Just seemed like a really good attitude for a young kid to have.

11. SKluck

SKluck First Round Draft Pick

It's too early to say on the rookies. This IS Detroit afterall, the only draft pick that has worked out in a long time is Tayshaun. Max could go either way, but he seems to have a lot of heart and energy, if he can turn into a 2nd rate Barkley, I would be ecstatic. Acker could probably be a very servicable backup point in 2 years. AJ is an unknown, he's young, hard to predict.

Delf I think could take Rip's spot pretty easily down the line. I highly doubt we will hold onto rip through 2010. Especially for 11 million.

12. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Of our 3 rookies, I can see AJ having the biggest impact. I think J-Max will be a depth guy and Acker might be a decent rotation player one day, but I doubt more than 1 of the 3 will be with the Pistons when that does happen.

Of course, I can also see all 3 of them going the way of Mateen Cleaves or Rodney White. Its just too soon to know for sure. Heck, there are still guys ahead of them on the depth charts - namely Mo and Carlos - that we still don't know about, let alone 3 rookies that have played less than Darko did his first year.

With a fairly young, deep, championship caliber team like ours we don't need all of our draft picks to pan out. The likelyhood that they won't is even greater for a team like the Pistons because of our low draft slots each year (darko excluded of course).

I'm kind of glad we don't get high draft picks. Its one thing if the 60th pick doesn't work out, but when the 2nd pick doesn't....:frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

Maybe we can do a multi team trade and get rid of the Orlando 1st round pick for 3 late 2nd rounders.

13. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

I see a sign and trade coming up. Joe has given up building through the draft (kind of tough when there are no minutes to give to a rook).

Next year:
    Core stays.
    Delk gone (more money elsewhere), Hunter retires, Evans waived
    Acker backup pg
    Delfino backup 2/3
    JMax backup 3/4
    Trades to build salary room or swing a sign and trade in the 07/08 freeagency.

Amir, still learning the game, Joe waiting to make a move at a young premier big man in free agency, wouldn't suprise me if we made a run at DMC (probably not, just wishful thinking) or Fran Vasquez (If Joe can talk him into playing in the US).

14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

First rounders are re-signing at a high rate. Agents are advising the Yao Mings and Amares of the world to re-up before they get injured. The "home" team can pay the most anyways.

I think that Delk will be back. Evans or Delfino may move. Hunter will retire. Cato is obviously gone.

Fran Vazquez has a 4 year contract in Europe. He might never play in the NBA. Not only do the Magic hold his rights (indefinitely I believe) but the buyouts on European contracts are prohibitive.

15. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I think Delk will only be back if he'll accept a two year deal...
    Acker will actually start battling Delk starting today in practice... Joe will watch closely.

AJ???... seems like he'll have to develop a perimiter game and better handles... unless they plan on moving JMax

I agree with 16... a S&T is very likely... especially if we don't bring it home this year.... an experienced bench shouldn't be overlooked in big games.

D.D. is outta here with his expiring deal... should fetch a decent young player. I could see Mo packaged with D.D. as contract filler.

Cato says he's getting some feelers so it's possible he'll get offered at least a partial MLE somewhere else... I'm dissapointed we didn't at least take a look at his shot blocking defensive abilities.
    This could leave us with a need for a backup big.

Still have little confidence in Delfino... gimme a young vet anyday over a roller coaster kid.

I think the need will be a physical postup SF that can defend and a large defender at the 5 spot.

No problem with trading this years 2 2nd rounders.

16. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

If he can max (Max?) out at a Corliss-like productivity level, I'd definitely be happy with that.

17. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

jmax will come on like gangbusters next year. i think he will get some minutes at the backup 3 spot. he is a physical force at the small forward. he can post up and his midrange shot is very well developed and he can battle those physical 3's tay has a problem with. he will come off the bench and battle delk to see who can put up the most shots in the least amount of minutes.

amir will play another year in nbdl. he's going to be special he hits shots around the basket and is athletic. he will work on his game very hard this summer.

acker will get some backup point guard minutes. he will be sharing with delk as our backup. he's going to be a steal. this kid can shoot and get to the basket. i think a driving guard is something the pistons really miss.

evans gone.
    delfino gone.
    cato gone.
    davis gone.
    hunter gone.

add 3 new vets all over 33 yrs old wanting a ring.

18. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Evans? I hope (but I doubt it)
    Delfino? I doubt it.
    Cato? Definately
    Davis? I dobut it.
    Hunter? Probably

19. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think Antoine Walker and Gary Payton might be looking for work.