The GEM of the '13 Draft - GIANNIS ADETOKOUBO

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I'm sold on this guy! Takis Zevis does a nice job brining along players like this. (I wouldn't mind if the Pistons picked up this Kyle Anderson kid from UCLA later in the draft to mentor him also.)

I can't imagine the move to Detroit being a big deal for him either after fleeing Nigeria for Greece at such a young age. That should be an easy adjustment for him.

Wasn't either Monroe or Drummond shooting over a broom last summer to work on their shot? This cat can join them to work on his low release. These guys can really bond! Maybe Knight can hold the broom to really build some chemistry between the core?

Then they need to address the 2.
    Laimbrane likes this.
  2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Was he the same talent scout who noticed Lee 357 shooting threes from his bicycle?

Lee used to think he was from Nigeria too until he noticed he wasn't a black guy.

Funny thread.
    BillLaimbeer likes this.
  3. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Hold on a minute.

Oladipo is listed at 6-5 and 215lbs. Giannis is 6-9 205lbs. Now if we take both those measurements as accurate (even though both are probably a bit overstated), you are telling us to turn down a guy who is listed as an extremely athletic, lockdown defender, for a beanpole with a shot just as bad, who's defense is difficult to gauge because of the strength of the competition. Its not bad enough this guy plays in the equivalent of the Bikini Basketball League, it says he has no leg or core strength. I cannot even begin to explain how toasted this guy will get by most 3's in the league. How about when he gets a switch onto LeMarcus Aldridge or equivalent and has to stop him in the post. You may as well ask him to stop a building from falling down. They have about equal chances of happening.

Could he be a fantastic player? Yeah sure. When he gets a decent shot mechanic and packs on about 30lbs of muscle. We need instant impact. Not a guy who will take a year or two to even warrant minutes in the NBA. I love the enthusiasm, but I just cannot see the same upside you do. I also happen to think Oladipo is the best of a bad draft, because we won't be in the 1/2/3 spot. If he falls to 6/7 (where I think we will be) he will be a solid pick which we may even be able to trade.

At 15, he is a huge reach. Inside the top 6 - without huge amounts of additional information - this is Thabeet, Kwame and Darko all rolled into one horribly bad pick.
  4. Ernie the Slow Adult

The Greek should be able to play at SF and 2 guard off the bench next year. Middleton isn't much bigger than him. Hopefully he'd get some time with Drummond.

Would that be considered a bad year for "a lottery pick"?
  5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Frank caught the phrase "played in the 2nd tier Greek league" and penciled him in for 40+ minutes a night next season.
    blueadams likes this.
  6. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

I wouldn't take him with a Top 12 pick.

And as you said, probably Popovich draft this guy... but Popovich is the best coach the NBA has, and he knows what to do with the players.. I bet you he can make this Pistons team a Playoffs team. So, maybe he draft guys unexpected, but because he knows how to use them... are you really expecting or believing that Lawrence Frank will have a clue about how to use a greek wing player and all the adjustment that this kid will have to do, etc etc... ?????
  7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I get the feeling that Lee356 is going to love this guy.
  8. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

1) Tim Hardaway Jr. is 6-5. Google some pictures of Oladipo guarding him for me, please. I've seen Giannis listed between 6-9 and a growing 6-11. Won't know for sure til he hits our shores.

2) I believe Giannis has a better shot. He is not a beanpole (look at his damn tape - he's thick and muscular).

3) The level of competition is comprable to mid-major D1 bball. The kind Damien Lillard did well against.

4) We don't need instant impact ****. We're not gonna have a chance to win it all for a long, long, long time. We need high ceiling.

5) Oladipo is a defensive guard. Nothing more. Nothing less. One of similar value (who wasn't garnering fanfare being on the #1 team all season) can be found in the second round.

9. blueadams

He's much bigger than Middleton. Watch the tape!!
  10. blueadams

Pardon me. But what in the he.. kind of argument is that!? Our coach sucks. So, instead of taking the player a good coach would take. We should take someone suckier!?

Are you insane.
  11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Someone in this thread is showing signs of it.... :lol:
    round likes this.
  12. linwood

linwood All-Star

[​IMG]
    webz likes this.
  13. blueadams

Okay, okay. Let's all attempt to put our personal biases and vendettas aside - me included, especially me - and talk about this rationally. I'll start.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He gets up. Watch the slo-mo at the end.
  15. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Sadly, it now appears that he won't be participating in the Nike Hoops Summit. I would have loved to see him on the same court as "Ender" Wiggens.
  16. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Any info on his parents bone structure? Is there any good reason to think he's going to fill out with age. He has to put on alot of mass or he's going to be bullied to the basket.
  17. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

It looks like he's got bigger hands than Herrrrrmann.

He's too big (read:slow) to guard faster guards, but he can bother them with his length.
    He's not big enough to guard power forwards, but he can compensate using his athleticism.
    He can handle the ball with confidence even though he's got a high dribble.

Sounds like the next episode of Austin Daye to me.

For the record, I would be happy if we drafted this kid in the 2nd round. Too big of a risk as a lottery pick though.

If Joe D. does so despite his current short leash and the ever-present Darko legacy, he would prove once and for all that he's got balls of steel.
  18. blueadams

What COULD these players that we are talking about bring to our team??

*There's no chance in hell that we could beat the Heat or the Thunder in a seven game series next
    year, or the next year or even the next year - - - so let's drop this "we need immediate impact players" crap. We need whoever is going to eventually have the biggest impact on our team. Period.

PG/SG/SF/PF - Giannis Adetokoubo. He's 19
    years old. He has not been playing organized basketball very long. His family fled Nigeria. He's been living, in hiding, as an unregistered immigrant in Greece ever since. He was spotted playing a pick-up game in a parking lot by a coach on a bicycle ride a few years ago. He's risen through the various levels of Greek professional basketball with unprecedented speed since. He is listed between 6-9 and 6-10 with a 7-3 or 7-4 wingspan. I've read that he is still growing (comes from a very tall family of late bloomers; a number of professional athletes). He is listed between 196 and 205lbs. He looks much, much bigger to me on tape - has big broad shoulders, great build, looks thick and muscular. On a good diet and workout regimen, I'd guess that he gets up to 250lbs with minimal body fat in 2-3 seasons. It's not expected that he'll make it past the Celtics at #16 in this years draft. Danny Ainge was the first GM to see him in person, however, several others with higher picks have since flown out to see him. Danny Ainge likened him to "a young Scottie Pippen." Surprisingly, at his size, his ball handling skills, passing skills, perimeter shooting ability, perimeter defense, athleticism and IQ is garnering him serious consideration as a future NBA point guard.

...To me. What do I see. I see a gu
    y who is 6-9 or 6-10 with an incredible wing-span, hands that make a basketball look like a grape-fruit, and someone who is eventually going to be around 250lbs of pure muscle. I do NOT think that he's ever going to be good enough with the ball to be an NBA point guard, nor do I think he'll ever be quick enough to guard NBA point guards. Hell, he might not even be good enough with the ball to be an NBA 2-guard, or quick enough to guard NBA 2-guards. What I see is a 3. Perhaps a "point forward." With his size, athleticism, length, and eventually, strength - he is going to be a great match-up against virtually any NBA 3. There will be some quicker than him, but length helps. There will be few too quick. And he will be an excellent match-up against many stretch 4's Monroe can't guard. With coaching and experience, I think he is going to become an excellent defender, shot blocker, shot alter-er. He already gets in the passing lanes and gets a lot of steals, I only see that improving. With added strength, I think he's going to be an excellent rebounder for his position. He's already an absolute natural leading the fast-break. With coaching and experience, he could truly become a great point forward - which alleviates much needed pressure off of Brandon Knight. I think he's going to be above average taking the ball to the hole. I think his outside shot is fine, and will only become better. I think he'll become a better passer. A better ball-handler. His understanding of the game will improve exponentially.

Gu
    ys. I see a very valuable commodity here. Potentially a superstar. The African freak athlete perimeter player the world's been waiting for.
  19. blueadams

He's got an older brother who is 6-7, I believe. A professional basketball player as well, though much less heralded. Another brother who is a professional soccer player in Nigeria. I believe his father was there as well. Big family, all of them - mom, dad, brothers, sisters - over 6 feet tall, with the exception of one runt. The basis for him adding weight is just, I guess, that he's got enormous, broad shoulders and already looks quite thick and muscular at his current low weight. Whatever he's listed at, I don't care, he looks at least 220lbs to me.
  20. blueadams

He's got absolutely gigantic hands. The ball really does look like a grape-fruit in his hand. It's why such a raw kid - who had never even played organized basketball - was able to be plugged in at the point on a professional team immediately. He won't make it past Boston at #16, reportedly. Ainge was the first GM to see him and he wants him.