The GEM of the '13 Draft - GIANNIS ADETOKOUBO

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Apr 11, 2013.

1. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

Trey Burke. I see a smaller Chauncey Billups. He handles the ball real well. He's smart with it. He doesn't turn it over. He understands the game. He makes smart passes. He can hit deep shots. He finds good mid-range shots, and makes them. He's never going to be much of a factor attacking the basket. He's not going to be an outstanding fast-break point guard. He's a good - not excellent - athlete with good reach. With effort and focus, he'll be at least an average defender of normal sized point guards. Good intangibles guy. Makes Knight a permanent 2-guard or bench combo. High floor. Never going to have CP3's passing instincts...or Iverson's ability to amaze. Will be a solid, above average starter, fringe all-star. A solid, welcomed addition to our team.

Ben McLemore. Great outside shooter. Spot up, not off the dribble. Great athlete. Great size. Won't hurt you on D. So-so intangibles. Never going to be much of a factor on the drive. Never going to take games over. Solid, above average starter, fringe all-star. Another welcomed addition to our team.

...Those are the only two guys I'd consider ahead of Giannis in this draft. The others are too flawed to match his potential.

2. blueadams

Muhammad. All the tools are there. The production is not. I suppose that I'd consider him along with Giannis. But I'd rather have Giannis.

Smart. He's a great athlete. He's going to be a great perimeter defender. He's going to be great on the fast-break. He handles the ball better, and shoots better than Oladipo, so I've got him higher. But he's not much of a shooter. I don't think he ever will be. And I don't think he's going to be much of a scorer at the NBA level. I'd rather have Giannis.

Oladipo. He's a great athlete. He's going to be a great perimeter defender. He's going to be great on the fast break. He's not much of a shooter. I don't think he ever will be. I don't think he's going to be much of a scorer at the NBA level. I'd rather have Giannis.

Porter. He can't shoot. He can't handle the ball. He's skinny. I think he always will be. He's not that great of an athlete. Basically, a horrible version of Tayshaun. I'd rather have Giannis.

Michael Carter-Williams. The mold works with athleticism and flash of Jamaal Crawford. He doesn't have it. I'd rather have Giannis.

3. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

I would be surprised if he makes it out of the teens. At some point in this draft, a GM is going to look at his board and say, "I don't want any of these guys. Let's take the African kid and stash him. See if he turns into something.".

He's definitely a NBA SF. What would he do against Singler and Middleton? He would get destroyed. Could this kid be an All-Star five years from now? Sure. Do the Pistons have a plan to make that happen? You would be spending a mid-lottery pick on a guy who would have to stay in Europe at least one, and probably two more years. Then, you would be looking at slowly developing him for another one or two years once he gets here. I'm talking about multiple stretches in the D-league. The hope is that you have a guy who can give you 10-15 minutes a night, 3-4 years from now. Once he does that, then maybe he takes off. That's a big commitment. If it pays off then you're a genius. If it doesn't work, then you're the legendary dumbass who spent a high lottery pick on Giannis Adetokoubo.

My guess is that you could trade for him three years from now, once his original team gets tired of waiting for him to develop, and maybe score a potential all-star on the cheap.

4. blueadams

I've read he'll have one year remaining max in Europe. And I think you may be overblowing the development curve. He's had multiple 40-50 point games this season - playing against the equivalent of mid-major Div. 1 college basketball teams. And he just started playing organized basketball a few years ago, so obviously, he's a quicker study. Furthermore, the raw tools are there for him to have an impact as a defender and facilitator while his game rounds out.

5. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

To continue J-Trains line of thought.... Joe is on a huge hotseat if he's here next year (if you believe the reports) he doesn't have the luxury of waiting 3-4 years for a lottery pick to pan out. If Joe is sent packing then a brand new GM with a lottery pick won't want his first big move to be a long term project. I just don't see how we pick the kid unless he wow's folks in camps (and sounds like he's missing atleast one of them) to the point he looks ready to be a major player this coming year.

Now if we can trade our two 2nd round picks for somebody in the teen's first round pick that might be a nice move... we really don't need 3 rookies this coming year. We will have a hard enough time getting all our young kids enough mins.

6. blueadams

you guys are directly contrasting what we should do with what we're going to do. I guess I'm at least getting through, to some extent. :/

7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think you should create a couple more threads to discuss this guy.

S.J. and coynejeremy like this.
  8. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I see a good chance of picking the next Kwame Brown.

But the match up thing, I'm sorry, this guy is outmatched - strength wise - by most 2 guards in the NBA. And thats a fact. He is weak because he hasn't been trained properly for very long. Sure he has length and great physical tools but you need more than that. Have you ever considered that there may be a language barrier here? He is a 3 year project, minimum. Don't even pretend otherwise.

9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

...welcome back bballjay. Don't worry. Your secret is safe with me. ;-)

linwood and BillLaimbeer like this.
  10. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

No... but it's easier for Coach Frank to adjust Oladipo's game or Porter, or almost anyone who comes from the NCAA to the current roster instead of a foreign player. (At least, this is what I think)

You have to look at the outcome into the future. It's easier for us to draft any NCAA player and have a better impact in the current roster, than a Europe player who we never see facing good players...

I think this is NOT a situation to say "high risk- high reward" .. That quote was good for Drummond, but not for this guy.

This is, in my opinion : "High risk - regular reward."

And we will have a regular reward with Oladipo, Porter and Bennet too, but with less risk.

Laimbrane and linwood like this.
  11. blueadams

Sounds like he's not going to be able to get out of Greece for the combine or anything. If we could package our two 2nd rounders and get him I'd be jacked. It's not like we're going to have a ton of open roster spots anyways.

12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Two 2nd rounders? You said earlier you would take him with the #1 overall pick...

13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Why can't he leave Greece? Is it not a free country? Danny Ainge must really like him.

If the Pistons were about to draft Scottie Pippen many years ago wouldn't we be complaining that he played against bad competition in school and his jumper wasn't great?

14. blueadams

I think he'd be worth consideration there, for sure. But he's trapped in Greece now. Most NBA GM's are never going to be able to see him in person. He'll be available later now.

15. blueadams

Passport issues. He is an unregistered immigrant living in Greece. I'm guessing it's complicated.

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

17. linwood

linwood All-Star

I think Giannis could make us forget all about Glinniadakis.

Darth Tater and BillLaimbeer like this.
  18. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Maybe he will make us forget all about Darko

Darth Tater likes this.
  19. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Did Batman make us forget all about Superman?

coynejeremy likes this.
  20. blueadams

Mogilny, coynejeremy and BallDon'tLie like this.