The Kander difference..

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Sep 3, 2005.

1. G-man

G-man Starter

The Miami boards are still full of whining fans claiming that if it wasn’t for the injuries they would be the NBA Champs. Lets assume that they were hurt, that Shaq and Wade were below peak shape during the series, should we even care?

Injuries are part of the game, they’re a dynamic that morphs a teams progress all season every season. They alter teams rosters, schemes, records and divisions. The Pistons have been playing without any significant player loss due to major injury for the last few seasons. The reason is a combination of player age and a great staff of medical personnel.

The Pistons have invested more time and money in their medical staff than most other teams in the league. The one constant thru our mediocre teams of the mid 90’s to the world champs is the teams training regime. The Pistons front office understands that preventing player injury is easier than re-habbing players from injury.

That’s why I’m not worried too much about Miami. Rileys Heat team is a team built to win it right now. It’s a fragile team, the basis is Shaq, a guy who hasn’t appeared in more than 65 games a season since the mid 90’s. With Shaq you get games lost as part of bringing him on board. Only question is when is he out? With Wade and his game, so far in this league, he stays banged up. Add Laettner, Mourning, Simien, Williams and Posey and you have a roster full of potential down time, due to injuries. A historical fact.

Miami isn’t out spending money to beef up its training and medical staff. Matter of fact Shaq was just interviewed saying he’s planning on starting camp 15lbs heavier than last season.

So the question is, how important is a teams focus on their medical staff? Don’t they get it? How many guys have benefited from Arnie Kander? Remember Dana Barros and his back? McDyess swears by him, Grant Hill tried to lure him away to Orlando.

What other teams stay as healthy as the Pistons? Should we care whether a team we meet in the playoffs has all five starters on IR? Does it really sully a Championship? Why? That's just rubbish used to rationalize a losers season.

I say it’s simply a part of the game, always has been, always will be. Just another dynamic that has to be dealt with proactively. So Miami fans, when we whip three of your starters and two of your pine stalkers next May, suck it up. Write Pat Riley and tell him to hire a yoga instructor, tell him to spend some green on the medical machine....:crutch:

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

We must not let them know our secrets. :tape:

Shaq @ 15 more LBS?...hmmm sounds like more injuries on the horizon.

I just don't believe human legs are made to withstand that much weight being pounded on 1000 times a day.

You make some excellent points about the history behind Arnies magic on the former/current players.
    I remember a piece that "Inside Stuff" was doing on the Pistons and Ben refused to let them video the training regiment... he said it was "our secret weapon".

Also good points about the Heat players history of ailments... even Fatoine has had a lot of down time.

At some point in time it can't just be called bad luck anymore...

Obviously Carlisle didn't steal any of Kanders magic.
    Absolutely, Arnie has an impact on the teams durability:boxing:

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

My favorite part of that related link I posted, and ties into G-man's assertion that the Pistons organization has made a commitment to health and physical maintenance was this,

5. crastinator

crastinator First Round Draft Pick

Well thought out argument G-man and good catch Microwave on that related article. I remember reading it and thinking what a great resource Arnie Kander is for the team.

As Mercury pointed out, it's interesting how much the players believe in him and his training regimes.

Agreed with the main argument of the topic that it is not accidental that the Pistons have fewer major injuries at crucial times than rival teams. This thread and the Heat humble pie thread are making me really excited for the season.

6. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

What's funny is, I've never seen another strength & conditioning coach whose emphasis is neither strength nor conditioning. Usually the job is held by a weightlifting guy or a track guy, or maybe some scientific peak performance type. But what Arnie really seems to be is a movement coach. Which makes perfect sense for the game of basketball.

7. vthomp

vthomp First Round Draft Pick

Kander

He is the top of the line when it comes to the playas. Kander and the Pistons when it comes to the playoffs are always in great shape. this will be the best condtioned team in basketball over 250 games in two years with no major injury is a great accomplishment. GO KANDER!!!!:)

8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Quite often when Doug Collins does a Piston game he almost always gives a little blurb about Arnie. Doug knows first hand how good Arnie is at what he does, from his stint as Piston Coach.