The Millen Files - Legacy of Linebacker Mentality

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by TheeTFD, Oct 16, 2005.

1. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Let's chronicle the foibles of Matt Millen here. And grade each move.
    He was referred to Ford by the upper management because he was a football guy. But with no GM experience - grade C
    ...First he takes an 8 & 8 team and says the QB, Charlie Batch is unfit to lead his team. Grade C - Batch was a player but was constantly hurt.
    ...Then he lets Johnny Morton's contract void without compensation - Grade F :confused:
    ...He hired Marty Morningwig an unexperienced Head Coach so he could cut him as soon as "his" coach was available. Grade D - Marty's losing ways allowed us to draft high round picks.
    Ok what was his next goof up?
  2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

It's clear now that Millen drafted Joel. Grade D-. He could be a backup? Otherwise F
  3. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Sounds like you're focusing on the negative. Now who's crying?
  4. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I give Millen an A on the drafting of Shawn Rogers and a B+ for Boss B.
    Anything constructive to add?
  5. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Adding FAs Kennedy, grade C and Demulling, grade C. At least Demulling came from a winning team. Eat the rich.
  6. jammertime

I like the addition of Pollard. Kennedy, although not the greatest, was the best available and was a big improvement over Brock Marion.

Kennedy would be even more effective with a quality FS to take away the deep threat. Holt has been caught out of position too many times this year. Kennedy is a good, punshing SS, but we need a coverage FS to maximize Kennedy's usefulness.

Demulling is a bumb. There were some pro bowl caliber O-Linemen available last offseason, Demulling wasn't one of them.

Kevin Johnson was a nice pickup as well. They needed a veteran WR to mentor the "big 3".

I give Millen a B- for last seasons FA's. A for Pollard, B for Kennedy, C for Johnson, and D- for Demulling.

Glaring needs not filled in offseason: O-line, DE Passrusher, FS.
  7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Yeah, Pollard was an upgrade. KK is better than what we had. But Sharper was the S we needed. What too costly? Johnson was good to, but how can you grade him while on IR? Demulling is depth and backup. I hope we didn't pay him too large.
  8. jammertime

I'm grading him from when he was healthy, not while on IR. I'm not going to fault him for getting injured.

He was starting to become Joey's favourite target, especially on 3rd downs. He has a tremendous work ethic and is a professional all the way. He's competitive and wants to win (he was one of the guys to get in Roy's face after giving up on the ball in the end zone). He's been in the league for about 8 years now and has been a great mentor for the young guys.

Originally Demulling was signed as the starter and Kosier as a backup to multiple positions, now the roles have been reversed.
  9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

That's why I graded Morris so hard, he didn't put the best players out there. "Grape" Vines has picked up Johnson's slack.
  10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

The hiring of Mooch was viewed as a B hire by the media. But the media warned Mooch, Det. could be quicksand. It is. The firing of Mooch was a B+ move midstream. Gives Millen a chance to look around and grade D.J.