The NBA...is it like World Wide Wrestling?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by CloudWalker, Jun 13, 2011.

1. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Look fans.....I understand that we have short, short memories.

I stared at my television screen dumbfounded when Penny Hardaway was expected to play alongside Stephon Marbury even though Stephon shook his hand and told Anfernee to his face that he didn't think he was worth 16 cents.

CNNSI.com - SI Online - Marty Burns - Inside the NBA - CNNSI.com's Burns: Differences aside - Wednesday January 23, 2002 10:08 PM

Hardly anybody saw crap like that.

What about when Chicago signed Carlos Boozer?

Didn't he set LeBron back by a few years in Cleveland when he tricked Gund into releasing him from his contract under the false pretenses that he would resign with them?

Cavs out after 'understanding' falls apart - NBA - ESPN

Certainly they knew James wouldn't be very sweet on a guy that ditched him for "greener pastures"...for absolutely no compensation, and setting the franchise back as they searched for another "#2" to complement their "star".

Folks.....I simply don't buy this "LeBrondown" nonsense.

In this league of fast and loose rules, athlete driven plays, and referees that have historically favored the aggressor..I simply don't buy the pile of trash that the league has tried to disseminate as an NBA Finals series.

Am I upset about the outcome? Certainly not; however, this is where the questions start being raised. Anyone watching the season, or the previous playoffs, should be scratching their heads wondering what happened to "no contact on the perimeter".

Did "Over the back" get thrown out of the rulebook?

Did erroneous rumors about LeBron James' girlfriend really cause him to drive into the lane time after time again and literally pass the basketball to no one?

Did Mark Cuban, a historical uncontrolled hothead, conveniently decide to shut his big fat face the very same year his team won it all? He'd be lined up to say crap even if he didn't have a mouthful.

I don't buy this.

I'm beginning to believe this crap is scripted.

..thoughts?
  2. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Everybody knows the NBA and the moon landing are fake. I wouldn't be surprised if the league have something to do with Roswell, or rather I would be surprised if it DIDN'T.
  3. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

are you being facetious or are you insinuating that this is all a distraction?

Should we really care about it or is this something to slap our collective knees over?
  4. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

The Heat were outplayed and outcoached. I thought it was a great series. I'm not much for conspiracy theories Cloud...I bet you liked that Jesse Ventura show.
  5. Mogilny

I care about it, I'd be furious if they stopped scripting it. The league would become as boring as european soccer. :cold:
  6. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

You'd bet wrong .

I'm not a fan of reality television and I do not watch reality shows.

If it's on camera then eventually it's going to be fake.

Do you really believe LeBron forgot how to play winning basketball?

No one performs that poorly in contrast to their past actions.

If Kitty Genovese were on a known camera I'd wager that people would have been lining up to be "heroes".
  7. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Are you saying the NBA helped Russia fly miniature humans on saucers into the desert of New Mexico in order to create an alien invasion panic leading to supposed sightings in Roswell? This is mind-boggling.
  8. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

step right up.
  9. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

well, I've been thinking about this ever since MJ left the NBA and the league was desperately trying to find a new magnet. Late in his career, every shooting guard who could dunk was referred to as being the 2nd coming of MJ; Stackhouse, Stephen Jackson, Harold Minor or Isiah Rider.
    And then, when that Kobe-Shaq feud started, along with the refs stopping to call travelling (especially in connection with LBJ, the "real" 2nd MJ), the change in rules that give an advantage to teams that have athletic dunkers and don't really care about defense and the increasing media work (just look at the nba.com's video section along with how they dramatize everything that is somehow connected with the league), I've stopped taking it too seriously. And still, even WWW can be fun, if you understand it more as a game than reality.
  10. coynejeremy

The media tried to find another MJ. That doesn't mean the NBA is fake.

The refs have not been making travel calls consistently for decades. I think this is partly because it makes the game flow better (ratings) and partly because it's difficult for refs to call travels in real-time. This doesn't mean the NBA is fake.

The rule change to make it easier on fast guards to get in the lane and score seemed at the time to be a response to the Pistons winning the title with a bog-it-down halfcourt offense/defense that didn't garner the league high ratings. In hindsight, though, rule changes to make the game more entertaining to the casual (dare I say "internet") fan have been going on for decades. Though you may say it cheapens the integrity of the game, it doesn't mean the NBA is fake.

The league puts serious money into marketing and video production, but that doesn't mean the NBA is fake.

Dunkers get more time on Sportscenter for the same reason that kids aren't en masse "likeing" Youtube videos of lockdown defense. Defense is harder to watch and understand for a casual fan. Good defense means something exciting is not happening (scoring), which is not as interesting to watch for the majority of viewers as something exciting that is happening (scoring). Obviously we have a different point of view as Pistons fans because our team's legacy is built on defense and we appreciate it more than most fanbases. But just because people like to watch exciting plays doesn't mean the NBA is fake.

To each his own. I think the NBA has a number of to-do items, like getting rid of the clowns in its refereeing ranks. But it's a huge jump from there to say that the entire league and season is staged.
  11. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Agreed here....:)
  12. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Walk with the sheep or look the shepherd in the face and tell them they are full of crap. Your choice.
  13. Mogilny

I don't really see the incentives for the NBA to make the face of the league into a guy who shrinks when it matters the most.

A fun thing about conspiracies is that it's almost always a conspiracy no matter what happens (except when the theorists team wins). If it had been the Celtics and the Lakers in the finals it would have been a conspiracy. Or Jordans heir and his Bulls against Duncans final drive. Or the big market NY vs the young guns of Oklahoma. Or Miami vs Dallas and it would probably have been an even bigger conspiracy if Miami had won and the chosen one had been the MVP.

That's what I'm saying.
  14. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

An even more exciting truth about "conspiracy theories" is the fact that every police detective is a conspiracy theorist until they catch the criminal.
  15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Rodney White made me forget all about MJ....
  16. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Rodney was a victim of a conspiracy. Isn't it a coincidence that every coach he played for coached him poorly? The results speak for themselves.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

And not just an NBA conspiracy, but a conspiracy of Global proportions.

18. coynejeremy

Bilbao Baggins? I knew evil wizardy was afoot!
  19. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

It is way too difficult to script the NBA. In wrestling you have two guys (ok, sometimes four) in the ring. It's a relatively short match. In the NBA, you've got 82 games for each 30 team, that's 1230 regular season games, each 48 minutes long, played by over 300 players. That's way too many variables to control and suggesting that NBA is scripting the season is giving waaaay too much credit to Stern's minions.

That being said, there is definite bias in the NBA. Officiating always favors the stars and the home teams. It's so bad that it is now considered the new norm and it is expected. That really kills the integrity of the game IMO. NBA is not pure basketball. It is a game that is a modified version of basketball designed to showcase the freakish athletic abilities of the few.

BTW, the FIBA has also been getting more relaxed about travelling calls. The last world cup was horrendous in that respect.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Some of his current teammates:
    Wang
    Wang
    Zhang
    Zhang
    Meng
    Deng
    Yuyang
    and Zhao