The Need for 'Sheed (For Now)

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by dozero, Jun 15, 2008.

1. dozero

dozero First Round Draft Pick

It's been a while, but here goes.....

I don't think Wallace is going anywhere. In fact, I think Joe is working to make him even more of a voice in the next year.

1. After Ben, Sheed seemed to be the most vocal anti-Flipper.
    2. Sheed appeared to question Flip's ability to coach and it seems Joe did as well.
    3. Sheed was the only player around for Curry's introduction.
    4. Sheed's old room mate is back in the fold.
    5. Sheed may have an attitude problem, at times, but he has attitude. Joe likes that kind of player.
    6. Sheed's skill set is HARD to replace (D, O and IQ)
    7 Sheed's in his LAST year and that's something you don't trade away until February.

So, if he goes, it will be IF the new team isn't working and Sheed could bring in that SPECIAL player to help turn the season around. That's what I'm thinking.
  2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    These are all very good and valid points. It may be just what happens. We all say, if his head is in the game he's one of the best players in the NBA and will take the Pistons to the finals. The question remains - can he do it.

:hoops:
  3. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

After being burned by his antics and lack of production in the last two ECF Game 6's, why would you suddenly expect him to control himself? When you are possibly playing the last game of the season, I would think you would be focused enough to play out of your mind and take on the burden of being the team's top talent.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Sheed, if he stays, would probably have a good season as he is playing for a new contract.
  4. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I agree.

IMO, Sheed did what he was supposed to do, help us win a ship in his first year with the Pistons. I`m sure Joe D anticipated more than one championship celebration with Sheed but it doesn`t look like it`s going to happen.

Sadly, Sheed played a huge part in the Pistons meltdown the last two years. Yes, if it wasn`t for him, Det would not have made it to the ECF, however, his legacy has suffered because of lack of leadership and his unstable mental state in crunch time.

I don`t buy anything into Sheed`s ex-roomate joining the Pistons as a reason for Sheed staying. Are we so naive to think that Curry and Joe D would look for a (asst) coach to motivate and control Sheed?

Moreover, Sheed at the presser to announce Curry as coach could have been Sheed reaching out saying, hey, I`m here.........I like him can I please stay, pretty please??

To be honest, it`s a tough call to keep Sheed or not. He was there to help win a ship, without him, no ship. He also didn`t raise his game when called upon, in the playoffs, if he did - would we have won another ship?

This is a contract year for Sheed, he may be on his beast behavior and that could be a good thing for whatever team has his services next year.

Will the real Sheed please stand up!!!

Or have we seen the real Sheed(s)?
  5. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Hyena's don't change their spots.
  6. mikhail1973

Sheed played for LB. Could it be that he needs a particular type of coach to perform?
  7. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Reasons for Sheed to play hard and consistent the last three seasons.

1. The fans who he appreciates
    2. Joe Dumars who he appreciates.
    3. Michael Curry who came last season who he appreciates.
    4. His teammates.
    5. His wife and kids who he appreciates.
    6. His generous salary.

I'm being told the only reason he slacked off was that he didn't like his coach. I believe this is his nature and that's why he didn't have success on his other teams.

Ironic how in Flips third attempt at 11 post season victories, the Pistons had a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter, and the team suddenly collapses. The man who headed up this roll over and play dead effort should be sent walking.
  8. detteam

detteam All-Star

He already was.
  9. detteam

detteam All-Star

My thoughts exactly.
  10. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The need for Sheed has never been more dire than today. Sheed lovers of the world, unite!

What happens to Needforsheed.com if Sheed is gone next season?
  11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think Natalie has said that N4S will continue.
  12. max

max All-Star

I think you can make a good case for keeping any of the starters if looked at individually but you will still have the problem of a team that quits in the post-season, was it all the coach? Are you sure?

Its nice that Sheed has been attending local functions lately which seems to indicate that he wants to stay. Gives Dumars more flexibility.

Trading Sheed does not necessarily mean that we have to get weaker up front. Where was Sheed when Perkins went off for 20-15 in game 5?

All depends on what is on the table. If deal is not there then don't just give him away.

Our frontcourt has looked old and slow at times and sometimes forgets how to rebound. Rebounding is one of Currys keys.

Whatever happends, I don't want to see another 3 forward rotation with Sheed and Dyess playing most of the mins.
  13. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

http://www.need4Cheikh.com - ???
  14. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Is there a reason we can't reduce his role? Instead of asking him to be a "go to guy", why not ask him to be a role player? If you think back to our championship year; that's what he was for us. He filled a role.

Let him come off the bench for 20-25 minutes a game and mentor AJ. Maybe we get MORE production from him if we ASK for less?
  15. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Is it a question of lack of production due to the burden of responsibility or a lack of production due to a mental implosion/attitude problem? Plus, no team will win consistently w/o the best players playing their best. AJ, does not cut it when compared to Sheed, atleast at this stage in their careers. Though in all fairness, Sheed had Ben Wallace providing rebounding and defensive energy and decreased the pressure on him. Ben was a beast.
  16. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

17. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Seems to me Sheed is at his most valuable...

- Playing for the Pistons next season, properly motivated and under a coach he doesn't hate

- One week before the trading deadline next year when the Pistons have half a season under them with whatever roster Joe comes up with this summer and fully understand the weaknesses of the team, and when everybody who isn't likely to make the playoffs would love to trade for an expiring contract.
  18. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I agree.

Or teams that think they are one piece away at the deadline.

And can anyone explain why McCosky (sp?) hates Sheed. Is it because he seems to be up Flip's you know what? Every article is negative and he goes out of his way to make sure he mentions Joe D saying no "emphatically" to Sheed likely staying.
  19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I wonder if Flip has the sack to come out and say Sheed was a jake...if he was.
    Or if he, Flip, couldn't coach him because Sheed has an authority figure complex.
    -
    I don't need any more excuses from or for Sheed.
  20. mikhail1973

It would be interesting indeed. However, I wouldn't expect anything out of Flip other that he's greatful for getting a chance to win a 'ship and that they couldn't get it done.