The New Miami Heat

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by LA Dre, Jul 8, 2010.

1. max

max All-Star

They are trying to trade Beasley to free up more cap for the signs. When its over they may have only 1 other player under contract. So this this might not take off right away. 3 Superstars and 11 scrubs ( rookies and who ever is willing to sign cheap).

Thing is if you are Riley - wouldn't you do it? Worst case scenerio he can always trade James and/or Bosh for anyone they want. You know Wade is always going to be loyal.

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Seems like the perfect situation to ignore the cap and keep Arroyo. Market the crap out of the team and pay the fine.

It looks like they just signed Mike Miller and they are going after Delonte West...

3. MACKSnare519

MACKSnare519 First Round Draft Pick

:stirthepot: Gotta keep up with LBJ's mom, I see.

4. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Miller seems to be in, Beasley gone. That makes five guys under contract and I assume they're already over the cap. Who wants to play for the vet's minimum to join the Heat?

The trio better be prepared to log some heavy minutes.

5. linwood

linwood All-Star

I'm guessing LaBran, Dwande, and Bosh will average about 47 minutes per game. Although this seems like a lot of minutes, remember that these guys are young, in the prime of their careers, and will easily have an hours worth of rest during the games while their teamates shoot freethrows.

I fully expect all Miami games to take 3+ hours. This will be good for everyone. More FT's mean higher career averages for the players. Longer games mean more entertainment for the fans, and more opportunities for commercials for the broadcasters. Win, win, win.

6. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Why Miller? NBA.com has him listed as guard-forward at 6'8". Their guard/forwards Wade and LeBron aren't good enough? Unless they play Wade as point guard, then it makes sense. Miller is a good perimeter shooter and that makes him a good fit with the team, I guess. Okay, I just talked myself into this move. It's brilliant if they can fill out the rest of the roster with decent players at minimum contracts! :MusicBigGrin:

7. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

actually I think the mindset is that James will be the PG (aka magic) and they think they need shooters. What they will need though for the playoffs are big men.

and while there just rookies.... imagine that, Riley drafted 3 folks who can play the center position... how lucky for him to have just by chance to have drafted the spot his roster would end up having the most need in.

8. Brap

Brap Starter

Yeah - I think Wade likely made it very clear very early to Riley exactly what he needed accomplish to get all three of these whores (oh, sorry - I mean non-colluding honest guys) on the Miami roster.

I think Riley knew early on that they were coming - like last summer or perhaps two summers ago.

I say it again - this was collusion - apparently sanctioned collusion, and I think it's very bad for the game. I think we're all chumps if we spend money supporting this league. We're now heading into an era where the best players in the league will follow the same god-forsaken formula. They'll sign extensions which in full-collusion mode will be timed so that the great players in the league (top 5 and top 10 in the league guys) will expire at exactly the same time. They'll sign with one of the super-markets after giving one of those teams notice a couple years in advance to prepare for them. There'll be two or three teams, perhaps 4 teams, that will be the designated super teams, and every other team won't have a f'ing chance.

I like what the Pistons are doing. I love the high potential guys on this roster. But let's be honest. For us to compete at all with Miami and the coming super teams, we're going to need to hit developmental HR's from Stuckey, Gordon, Daye, JJ, Monroe, Summers and maybe White - at least 3 or 4 of them. But do you guys see a single LeBron or Wade on our roster, let alone two of them? I don't. I see possible all-stars - I really do. But I don't see a HOF'er.

9. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Any WCW wrestling fans that can remember when the whole NWO thing got started? This is so similar on how Bosh and Wade are the Scott Hall and Kevin Nash of the NBA and they are waiting on that ONE BIG superstar to join them. Meanwhile, Lebron 'Hulk Hogan" James is lurking behind the scenes like 'Not me. It's not me!'

UNTIL.....:pound:

10. coynejeremy

Brap - I think you're overreacting. I would be surprised if we see anything like this happen again in the near future. We're watching a once-in-a-lifetime type move happen. I'm sure people were saying the same things as you're saying when the 2003-2004 Lakers players teamed up. Granted, these Miami guys are in the prime of their careers. But if that's the decision they want to make, more power to them. The CBA/salary cap makes it a high risk, high-reward strategy. The risk is that they can only sign really really low contracts to fill out the rest of the roster. I'm very interested in seeing if they can field a competitive TEAM with that many guys hogging the money.

Brap, I seriously recommend you listen to Roscoe's salary cap podcast from a year or so ago. It was very enlightening and made me realize how difficult it is to field such a top-heavy yet still competitive team. Miami is going to have serious challenges putting together a winning team, especially in this CBA environment, where it will be harder to find players willing to sacrifice money now when it's less than certain that it will pay off for them in the future. Hopefully someone can provide the link to that podcast, I don't remember where it is.

Bottom line: Would YOU want to go into a job where you make less than market value, your coworkers make 10 to 20 times as much as you, they will get all the glory for your collective success, and you might not even be able to parlay your stint there into a good job or a lucrative salary elsewhere?

11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

ESPN's self Lebron reporter, Chris Broussard reports that the Bulls hurt their chances during their presentation when they told Lebron that they would not give any perks to his entourage in terms of jobs etc....cause they didn't do it for Jordan......Guess they told Wade the same thing when he visited there.

Now I have to wonder what Riley promised him??

Bottom line, with 3 to 4 teams clearing cap space in advance as far back as 2008, all of this was a planned covert operative with Lebron, Bosh and ringleader Wade. The question was what team could clear the most cap space and provide the best non-salary perks for 2 or 3 of them and it appears that Riles won out.

I was in South Beach two weeks ago...and believe me, it is better than any part of Cleveland. :) (See photos on my facebook page.....)

12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Yeah Brap, these guys are free agents-they can go where they want ,extort where they want. And as long as they aren't under contract there is no foul. The GMs could only dream of such senarios. But the Celtics got the ball rolling. Even JD was plotting. But his dream team was a seasons nightmare.

13. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

You seem to forget that everything that doesn't help the Pistons should be against the rules and all the guys who do the stuff that doesn't help the Pistons are "whores". :)

14. LA Dre

Any bets that NBA TV will pre-empt the beginning the Pistons-Lakers Vegas game tonight to show the heat welcoming shinding of Bron/Bosh and Wade?

Thats the stuff they do on this channel.

15. linwood

linwood All-Star

I still like the lakes in a seven game series. Kobe and Ron play stellar defense, bosh=Gasol, and Derek fisher is as good as any scrub Miami can afford. Lakers need to find a quality point guard so Phil can frustrate Pat again.

16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

-
    Sometimes I forget my core values.
    -
    If they air the game I should get some camera time by running onto the court.
    -
    Wood, the Spaniard would eat Bosh up like he did KG.

17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

That's why I don't understand why they just let Trent Plaisted walk away. He seems like the perfect antidote to a team like MIA.

18. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Shooters... shooters... hmm, there are a few that could be had on the cheap.

Eddie House
    Anthony Morrow (R)
    Luther Head
    Sasha Pavlovic
    Roger Mason
    Devean George
    Kyle Korver

I bet their agents (if they can afford one) are dialing like mad trying to get hold of Pat Riley.

19. coynejeremy

Not cheap enough. Korver just signed with Chi-Town for an average of $5mil per year for 3 years. Granted he's the best shooter in your list.

20. LA Dre

If anybody complained about last nights show was bad, tonight's dog and pony show is EVEN Worst.....keys to the city??? Give me a break...you would think they already won the title..