1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

The New York ZEKEs...

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by TheeTFD, Nov 30, 2006.

1. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Yeah, it all starts with RABID fans. Who think they're part of the team because they pay indentured servent prices to see the games live. And are ravenous readers of anything Knick. So the saucier the info the better the read and deeper the involvement. However the Knick fan base is so large now they don't need to placate the masses with dirty laundry.

2. Murph

Murph First Round Draft Pick

Insane Paranoia?

Just because you're paranoid, doens't mean they aren't out to get you.

Man...you should read and hear how the local beat writers and talk radio hosts go after Zeke. It's embarassing. If I were Zeke, I wouldn't talk to the media either.

3. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

And with an organization that constructed a reason to fire their coach by coming up with an obscure team rule about what any member of the organization could say to the press. Now I suspect they're keeping a tight leash on everyone because Larry is watching, wrongful firing suit in his pocket, just waiting for someone to say something that they've always said but that he was fired for.

4. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I think that's over DBA. $18 mil. to walk away.

5. dba

$18 mil isn't nearly enough to override the Larry Brown sense of injustice. I bet he gets transcripts of every press conversation with anyone in the Knicks organization.

6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Yeah but then the defense would argue for the transscripts of the BS he was spewing at the side of the road last year. The media would love it all.

7. dba

Cool. I hate these behind closed doors settlements. Let's get all this out in the open. I want dirt!

8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Roadside interview:
    Reporter 1: What do you think of Marbury?
    Brown: Good player with below average BBall instingts. Can't follow simple instructions.
    Reporter 1: What do you think of Zeke?
    Brown: How can I dislike a guy that got me $10mil. per even while I have a catheter hanging out of me? But he is so desperate he gave up on the kids because you know I have no time for rookies.
    Reporter 2 [in the back seat]: What about Dolan?
    Brown: He has money to give away, I'll take some.
    Reporter 3: How many games can this group win?
    Brown: 30 if they want to be coached, 20 if they want to go it alone.
    Reporter 1: Is this your toughest job yet?
    Brown: Ssshhitt

9. Sycamore Sam

Sycamore Sam First Round Draft Pick

Excellent article in SI this week.
    Quick cover: Dolan's obviously the bigger a-hole. And Zeke is trying to bring some of those old Pistons to these Knicks.

10. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

A good article about Mark Aguirre over on hoopshype talking about how he is helping to develop NY's post players.
    HoopsHype - Articles - Dropping knowledge

I did not realize at the time (I was 10 no cable and not in charge of the TV) how good of a player Mark Aguirre had been in college or in Dallas. I knew the teams we were rivals with the Celtics Bulls Lakers Sixers teams we played a ton but not Dallas. What a luxury for Joe and Zeke to have a bonafide baller come in and take some pressure off (nothing against Dantley).

11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Aguirre was known as a headcase at Purdue and Dallas. That is why the Pistons were able to trade Dantley for him, because at that point, AD was running out of gas (and had his own litle malcontent thing going), and there is no way you trade an aging vet for a younger player with a similar skill level unless it is a chemistry thing.

The irony of it all is that Aguirre fit into the Pistons lineup wonderfully and AD held out after the trade, demanding that the Mavs renegotiate his contract or he wouldn't report. At one point, it was questionable if the trade would be reversed if Dantley wouldn't give up his quest for more money, which he did, and as they say, the rest is history.

I loved Aguirre's turnaround high post jumper (one handed). It was a beautiful thing to watch. And he was willing to come off the bench for Rodman if that was what the team wanted to do, a concession that Dantley was unwilling to make.

12. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Aguirre played in college at DePaul, not at Purdue.

13. roscoe36

Right. I'm no NCAA fan. Must have been thinking of Glenn Robinson. It's been a long night.

14. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Dude, The Big Dog played in college about a dozen years after Aguirre did. "No NCAA fan" is putting it mildly. :laugh:

15. roscoe36

Here is how much I know about the NCAA

Purdue - Boilermakers - Ohio?

DePaul - Demon something - Pennsylvania?

No one up here follows NCAA although if I was off the fruit juice tonight, I might have remembered DePaul, Ray Meyer, 27-1 record, 25 PPG. Lost in the first round of the Tourney, Aguirre had 8 points and then went pro.

16. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Close on Purdue--they are the Boilermakers, but they're in Indiana, not Ohio (Glenn Robinson was a high school superstar in Indiana). DePaul is the Blue Demons, and they're in Chicago (where Aguirre is from, having grown up with Zeke), which is not...Pennsylvania. ;)

Aguirre's DePaul team did choke quite notoriously in the tournament just before he left for the NBA--I think Terry Cummings was also on that team--but he did lead them to the Final Four in his freshman year, '79, where they lost to Bird's Indiana St. team, which went on to lose to Magic's MSU Spartans for the title. I think that's when Aguirre became friends with Magic--according to what I've read, Aguirre was the one who eventually introduced Magic and Isiah to each other.

17. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Nice one point win over the Lakers then blown out by the Warriors.
    Zeke"s team needs alot more time.

18. dba

Indiana, the flat Ohio. Easy mistake.

19. roscoe36

My american geography is horrible. What college one went to is not as big a deal up here. Not to mention we have a lot less of them, and our collegiate sports take a major back seat to international competition.

In fact, I'd say we get up for Under-20 International Hockey Tournaments about the same as folks in the US get up for the NCAA regular season.

But I digress. Aguirre, he's ok with me.

20. roscoe36

True Hoop: Someone Call the Jury Back Into Session on that Eddy Curry Trade
    Interesting post about the Knicks/Bulls trade. Everyday it looks like the Knicks got the better part of the deal.

What do you think?