The next coach of the Detroit Pistons is...

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, Jun 6, 2011.

1. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Laimbeer. Period.

Make it happen Joe. I won't be happy with any other hire. Make Zeke and Mahorn assistants.
  2. G-man

G-man Starter

just an observation, but the only risk i see in hiring these guys is that they remain an integral part of recent winning history or heritage and if he ended having to fire them the damage could be irreverseable from a marketing point of view.

I'd like to see Zeke or Bill on the sidelines. I don't know what their current relationship is as in the end it was Zeke breaking that wrist that ended his career on the side of laimbeers head..
  3. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

No amount of head coaching failure could taint my opinion of these two Piston legends. Especially if they took over the team as it stands today. Whoever the coach ends up being has an uphill battle with this roster.

I TOTALLY forgot about Zeke jacking up his wrist trying to club Laimbeer in the head during practice. Ahhhh, bad boys.
  4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

That's true. It didn't go so well when Trammel failed with the Tigers. This one could be really ugly if it happened. That would suck for everyone.

I've been thinking about that wrist thing for a long time. I always thought it was the end of their friendship and the Bad Boy era. Just guessing.
  5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Mine doesn't work. Do you have any idea how long I've been trying to use it on Rascoe to get him to kick Jammer and Laimbeer off of the forum??? They wouldn't be here if it worked. Or maybe Rascoe has a strong mine and can't be tricked by the Jedi mind trick. Nahhhhhhhhhhh...not Rascoe.:canada::tinfoil3::pound:
  6. BallDon'tLie

Trammel is STILL one of my favorite all-time Tigers.
    He could set fire to the Ren-Cen and he'd STILL be beloved in Detroit.
  7. MotownPride

Indeed. They can't destroy what already sucks. If we are really interested in rebuilding the team's image in the locker room it starts with bringing the people who personify Pistons DNA. It's worth a shot. We could do a lot worse. Besides, it is an absolute travesty that the greatest Piston of all-time is not involved in our organization. The allure of playing for the Bad Boy greats may even inspire some free agents to come are way. Let's go!
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not convinced on Isiah. Definitely don't like his track record in NY.

Maybe if he is restricted to coaching only with Dumards at the helm, it could work. They cooperated in the past and got along.
  9. BallDon'tLie

Good point about attracting free-agents Mo.
    A "Bad Boy culture" would be a good hook to get guys interested in being a part of an 'anti-Heat' effort. We could corner the market on hard-nosed guys that have been passed-over and have something to prove. Guys who are the opposite of the NBA Darling culture that seems to be more and more evident in today's NBA (i.e. Heat, Knicks, etc.).

We've never had any luck landing marquis free agents. We're not going to get a CP3 or Dwight Howard to come play for us. Why not position ourselves as the team to come to if you want to beat those type of guys. Guys like Beer and Horn are perfect to create a culture like that. Defense first, smart, hard-nosed basketball! Dead-last in endorsements and Q-rating but 1st in wins!
  10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Umm, playing the devils advocate here ::but if you had given that HC job to Laims say 2000, you have to wonder if some players would have avoided coming to the D to play for the Bad Boy greats since their success of the late 80's carried over to hatred for them all through the 90's...:sssh:

Todays younger players who don't know any better or the history may jump at playing with our bboydna.

If we could some how filter Kevin Loves past season successes to Bill's mentoring, that might convince Gores to hire him and a Big FA to join us whenever next season starts.

Also I want to add.....if Mark Jackson has never had any experience as an assistant or head coach, why can't Laims who has had both get a shot at caoching the team he loves and the fans that love him. He Better get an interview and/or the coach who is ultimately hired better hire hom
  11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Joe Dumars was my all-time favorite player. I know the player and the GM are two separate stories, but these last few years have really soured me on Joe D.
  12. Benjols

Benjols Second Round Draft Pick

13. LA Dre

14. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

I really never liked Joe as a player. Not like Laimbeer, Isiah, Rodman, Vinny, and AD......

Figured he'd be a good GM though...
  15. BillLaimbeer

I'm a big fan of guys that excel at their job and don't have to tell everyone how good they are...the quiet leaders that lead by example (i.e., Dumars, Yzerman, Sanders, Trammell).
  16. MotownPride

Many hated the Celtics during that era too.
  17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

My vote would go to Woodson. Not that I think he is perfect for the job. But he has lots of experience, can certainly be expected to be very loyal to the Pistons, and is plenty young enough to keep learning.
  18. BillLaimbeer

I think he might be the best fit / most qualified to do the job. Laimbeer or Zeke would draw the most buzz from the fan base. It depends on what Gores and Dumars are trying to accomplish.

More importantly, it's great to see you on the board. We've missed you.

:dancingparty:
  19. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Reckon that Mr. Stern will re-write the whole rule book as soon as we have Laim & Horn on the sideline.

Hey Lee, long time no see Sir.
  20. LA Dre

Yeah, Laims and Zeke will bring the fans back and generate interest around the league ...until they start losing..............