The next coach of the Detroit Pistons is...

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, Jun 6, 2011.

1. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Thibideau had DPOY, Pistons coaches have spaghetti.
  2. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Would we be happy with any hiring as long as Laimbeer is on the staff to mentor toughness in our bigs?

Assuming he is not hired for the big chair.
  3. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I'm not sure that I'd use the word "any" but I'm in favor of involving BL in the process of infusing some "bad boy" competitive culture into this team. If he's second chair to Frank or Woodson than I'd be ok with that. Continue to groom him for the head gig once Joe can correct this roster thingy.
  4. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I'd love this solution if it's possible. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, Laimbeer has more NBA experience and the roster can't possibly be a bigger mess.
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think NBA head coaches are given full reign on who they can bring in for their assistants. I don't think you can mandate an assistant from above.
  6. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That's why I'd be surprised to see Laimbeer here as an assistant. Of course, I'd be surprised to see him here in ANY role, so yeah.
  7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

8. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

9. LA Dre

I was here in Lala land when Riles took over and when he jumped from the radio booth to the assistant coaching job, folks questioned that, but when got the head coach job there was initially an outrage, but it was overshadowed by the Magic getting Westhead fired controversy and all was quickly forgotten once they won the ring later that year.

Mark Jackson has just jumped from the announcing booth to head man in charge and Laimbeer has much more experience than Mama there goes than Man...

What did Bill do to Joe back in the day that prevents him from getting a shot?? He can't do any worse than Kuester or Curry?
  10. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I'm 100% on the Bill Laimbandwagon!!!
  11. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I'm on both Franks and Laimbeers wagons! I'm pretty happy about Toronto hiring Casey, I rather have any of the other candidates.
  12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

13. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

14. max

max All-Star

15. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

of those that have been interviewed thus far (sampson, frank, woodson, laimbeer...am i missing anyone?), i rank them as such:

1a - Sampson - Don't really know how he'd handle NBA personalities, as he's never been a head coach. But we don't know that he can't either.

1b - Laimbeer - Safe to assume that he'd be able to handle NBA personalities here and emphasize all of the right things. I just don't think that Joe-D's serious about hiring him, for whatever reason.

3-Woodson - He had a lot of problems handling attitudes on that ATL team if I remember correctly. Shame, because he's a good coach. But this roster isn't going to be any easier to handle.

4-Frank - I hate saying this about the guy. He could be the greatest coach in the world. But he reminds me too much of Kuester. I forsee too many of the same "disrespect/mutiny" issues.
  16. LA Dre

32 and 132 for the two years was really bad..(way worst than Kuesters 57-107)..despite Kevin Love having a monster year last year and some decent players on that squad. I saw a lot of their games and they just blew a lot of them in crunch time...which of course is a coaching loss that is blamed on Rambis. Have to wonder if the Lakers would have hired him if he had been let go at the end of the season??? He knows the triangle and with the current Laker talent, he probably would have overcome those late game collapses

Also wonder if Joe will use that poor T-wolve record from last year as an excuse of not hire Laims. He should get at least some credit for K-loves breakout success.
  17. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Mr. Kahn is up front, never to the side.

Let's respect his honestly in this current culture of BS and ego massaging garbage.

He may let Kurt go, and he's being fairly honest in his intentions to possibly do so. Never has he pulled a Dumarsesque "he's still our guy".
  18. LA Dre

Yeah but why did he wait so long??? I am sure Kobe and Phil would have endorsed him over Mike Brown to be the Laker man if he had been available..(despite his dismal record in Minny as bad coaches always get another job.)

Now if Kahn gets his new coach before we do then he already had a plan in place (Bickerstaff's son???) and Joe was ~~~well waiting to see if he himself had a job before putting his list together.
  19. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I believe his last explanation was-

1) They were not in the playoffs, so they didn't need a coach in place for that period.

2) It's a potential lockout season...with no summer league, so they don't need next years coach to be in place yet.

...sounds reasonable to me.
  20. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Sources: Bill Laimbeer interviewed for Detroit Pistons job - ESPN

:nerd2: