The Offensive Ben Wallace

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Nov 12, 2005.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Anyone else noticed the increased jump and aggressiveness Ben has displayed on the offensive end?

I've been very impressed with his strength in the paint and the speed of his pivot moves to the basket.

Ben certainly does not look like a player in a decline. He looks like a player in a contract year....

Through 6 games,
    10.8 PPG (9.7 last year)
    Shooting 51% (45.3 last year)
    FT - 60% (42.8% last year)
  2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

He's starting to force the defender to stay even up... the other day he commanded a double team.
    I'm still 100% for him to keep attempting the mid range shot... it's critical for our spacing.... Not that this is a play called for BW but he needs to garner the respect when left alone.
    Flip seems to be pretty good at finding the right spots for Ben.
  3. himat

himat Bench Warmer

about the free-throw shooting, do you remember in the phoenix game in the fourth quarter, and we were starting to comeback ben had an easy shot in the paint, but phoenix fouled him. ben made both free-throws to get us within 1 so he has also shown us he won't crack under pressure.
  4. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

The free throw shooting is all about confidence. It is all mental.
  5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

well then i guess he's gaining a lot of confidence then he's shooting about 15% better.
  6. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

Could be that very well,but from the way Ben has come across with the contract situation to me it seems like last year's Finals are more the motivation.Whatever the case he needs to keep it up.
  7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

i still can't forget about that follow-up dunk from ben in phoenix...wow.
  8. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

I was actually more impressed with the up and under he put on Przybilla last night. That kind of move gives me hope that the big contract next summer will turn out to look like a good value, again.
  9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Contract

I highly doubt the way Ben plays has anything to do with whether it is a contract year or not. He is going to give you everything he's got no matter what the scenario....
  10. Mr. Pistons

Mr. Pistons Second Round Draft Pick

I swear Ben has increased his verticle. In the Philly game when he yoked on Kenny Thomas (I believe) off his verticle leap I suspected he had. He's been gettng up on his dunks. Anyone else think so?
  11. roscoe36

Bill,

What is wrong? Where is the old BillLaimbeer? The one who understood irony and the delicate interplay of words that makes a great post? I WANT MY CAREFREE BILL BACK!

I'm not insinuating that Ben is playing better BECAUSE it is his contract year. I think it ironic that the quintessential "Piston" would be having what could be his best year when his contract is on the line.
  12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Instant Offense

Sorry. I must have missed the "irony and the delicate interplay of words". Maybe, I'm getting old. :)
  13. roscoe36

You and me both Billy. ;)
  14. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Ben's FT shooting

Exactly, but Ben could improve is mechanics, too. He barely bends his knees. You're supposed to bend your knees, rise up and then let it fly after your knees have straightened out. This mode of action brings proper follow through. I don't think Ben will stay at 60 percent, which, although better, still sucks.
  15. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

ben on offense

i think ben still looks best finishing plays. he can do tip dunks and oops but i always cringe when he creates his own shot. i still saw his man in portland playing zone off of him. he has a long way to go before people take him seriously on the offensive end. it's still a great surprise when he hits that midrange jumper. i am happy though that he is improving his free throws but sad he thinks he is developing an offensive game. i think he should stick to being a defender leave the offense to the offensive players. he needs to shoot just enough to keep the defense honest.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Ben

It looks like Ben is really skying when he has a little rest. The Portland game he looked flat. Expect him to be a pogo stick in the Boston game.
  17. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Kcm357, Blll, Bbj

KCM357, just because you think your opinion is deity; we all come here for the truth. When your take is weak or incomplete you can expect have to defend it like 357. If Big Ben had another 1-10% to give he left it on the court, period. That's our BBen. Don't insinuate he is some common scrub trying at the 24 th hour to steal an extra million.
    What I've noticed is that C'Note is going to BBen because Bens man is doubling him. He came too early the other night when he bounced a pass of BBen's chest for a turn. [behind the back]
    So far the best BBen hilite is when they turned down the sound in the arena so we could hear the net rip as BBen snatched it through, RRRRiPPP!
    I think what is next for BBen is for him to take a pass from the FT line, bend his knees, launch and snatch it down into the hole. That would be worth an extra couple million!!! [then fly up through the rafters, hang, for a tech.]:nod:
  18. roscoe36

Part of comprehension, particularly online is context. In this case, I think you lack the background on my opinion of Ben to form any opinions about my "take".

Try reading all of my posts here on Ben. Then you might understand where I am coming from.