The Official Rebuild the Pistons Thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by RipBillupsRJC, May 24, 2008.

?

Should we dismantle the team?

Poll closed Jun 14, 2008.
  1. Yes, we need to trade one starter.

14 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. Yes, we need to trade two starters.

18 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. Yes, we need to trade at least three starters.

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. No, you're overreacting and need to shut up. All you do is complain and whine.

10 vote(s)
    20.8%
  5. No, they have more time to win another 'ship.

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Whoa there...There are many exampples of lousy players who made excellent coaches and excellent players who were terrible coaches. Sometimes it's harder for the great players to coach because they have unrealistic expectations of most players.

Anyhow, I'm not saying Curry will be a good coach, but he does have some NBA coaching experience, right? Lambs has none. So how does THAT prepare you to be a good coach?

Yeah, Lambs would be an interesting and popular choice...but risky, I would think. I'd like to see him as an assistant to Curry to start...
  2. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Not saying Curry will stink, look at Avery Johnson. But Avery was a starting pg. Pg's run the team, they know hoops, they usually (not always) turn into good coaches (Skiles, Isaiah, Doc Rivers, Mo Cheeks, ect...). I'd feel more comfortable with Lindsey (not sarcasm) as coach.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Lindsey is goofy. He doesn't have what it takes to be a head coach.

Curry was in the Player's Association. He's been apprenticing.

I'm ok with Curry if that is the way Joe goes. It's not like Larry Brown is available or anything...
  4. booggerg

booggerg First Round Draft Pick

blow the team up.. trade sheed..

If they trade sheed it would mark two useless pistons jerseys in my collection.

[STRIKE]Corliss[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Sheed[/STRIKE]
  5. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

We do need to see some big moves, but let's chill out before we throw anyone under the bus too much. Sheed was an indispensable part of the '04 title run. Maybe he does need to go at this point, but he's given us a lot.
  6. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I wouldnt let sheed go, but he needs to come off the bench. In this way there is less time for him to get technicals. Also, these 7 tech rule in the playoffs is hurt sheed, because he was forced to play without emotion.
  7. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

[STRIKE]Helped us win a title[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Left Horry[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]gave wade free chili while being dominated on boards by haslem[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]gave Lebron free chili while being dominated on boards by sideshow and gooden[/STRIKE]
    gave Rajon Rondo Free chili while making Perkins look like a rebound superstar...

Oh I'm sorry...what was the first one again?
  8. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

all i know is I said sheed wasnt man enough to compare to Garnett...two years ago, I wanted KG and got slammed by some Forumers...well...

how ya like KG now?
  9. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I hate his guts. :yellowprison:

Thanks for asking.
  10. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Well, hate all you want...he did let us down a few times, but he came through pretty huge a bunch of times as well. If you want to just assume that the Pistons would have made the Finals twice and continued to get back to the ECF for another 3 years without Sheed, then more power to you, but I sure have my doubts.
  11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

SHeed + Flip = no Finals

Wonder if we can trade Sheed to somebody who has the 5-8 picks? He is a valuable commodity, but at 33 years old his days in Motown are up in IMO.

So is Flips
  12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Sheed wasn't giving up Rondo, Pierce and Allen. That was Tay and the guards, who couldn't defend a lick most of the series.

Our 3 bigs were in foul trouble constantly, having to play 2 on 5 defense at the rim.

He should be traded, but this wasn't all on him.
  13. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

What I'm saying is the worst thing that could have happened is we didnt win the championship. whereas trading some of these players early when their value was at its peak may have gotten us better off than we are right now.

Best case scenario it worked out, worse case scenario and we are on this forum talking about who to take in the lottery, which coincidentally is still better off than we are right now.
  14. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I guess I'm just a different kind of fan. Being in the lottery is not something I look forward to. And I'm just not going to agree that Sheed's time in Detroit (if it ends this off-season) was in any way more of a net negative than a net positive.
  15. max

max All-Star

Beauty man. Curry will make an excellent coach. I am starting to feel better already.

As much as I love Sheed he is becoming too much of a distraction and he takes so many nights off from his post game that he seems to have forgotten how.

tough call because he was our best defender but you can't have the rest of the team on pins and needles in an elimination game about him getting tech #7. If we had won and advanced to the Finals there is a good chance that he would have missed a game or 2.

We gave it our best shot with him but he just too much. Constant questioning of the coach, his knack for creating havoc when there is no need for it. Disappearing in the crucial moments of games.

Thanks for 04 Sheed but its time for you to go.
  16. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I've been saying that for years when folks got down on Dice, but this was an elimination game. Every layup should have been questionably a flagrant, guys should have been fouling out on real calls, not questionable bumps on the perimeter and failure to get rebounds, which may as well be the crackers in the chili.

These guys didnt even go down fighting. They fizzled out and sort of lingered like a bad fart.
  17. max

max All-Star

I can't argue with that. Very good analysis of that 4th quarter actually.
  18. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Using the lottery short term as a form of continuous improvement is not a bad thing. In todays NBA economy it is the only way for a capped out team to get younger and more talented without sacrificing any assets.

Well, that, and trading with teams heavily influenced by guys with a jersey hanging in your teams rafters.
  19. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Between Max, Amir, Afflalo and Stuck there is no true big time talent. They are all potentially decent to good players, w/ Stuck probably having the highest ceiling. Where does Joe go from here? The Pistons need quality talent. It's time for Joe to start doing some work and make meaningful changes.
  20. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yep need a blockbuster trade>>> Sheed and tay for somebodies who are not afraid to play inside the circle.