The Official Rebuild the Pistons Thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by RipBillupsRJC, May 24, 2008.

?

Should we dismantle the team?

Poll closed Jun 14, 2008.
  1. Yes, we need to trade one starter.

14 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. Yes, we need to trade two starters.

18 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. Yes, we need to trade at least three starters.

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. No, you're overreacting and need to shut up. All you do is complain and whine.

10 vote(s)
    20.8%
  5. No, they have more time to win another 'ship.

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Flip HAS to go. Like round said we are not going to get equal value for Sheed. Plus the coaching change would help him as well. We must have a backup for Tay at SF. Who should we go after though?
  2. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Billiups, Hamilton, Prince, Wallace
    Stuckey, Max, AA, AJ, Sambs (though he probably is a year away from helping)

The rest can go in my books..... or kept in greatly reduced rolls

Amir.... needs major mins or traded (he has trade value)

sorry but I just don't see Maz as a starter though folks he needs to have his mins watched and kept in the 20-25 mins tops.... when he's got energy he's great... when he starts to lose the energy, he's useless.

I'd love to see Amir able to step up and take the starters roll..

So we 2 bigs off the bench in my world... one that can play sf against bigger lineups and let our 4 guards/prince cover the sf mins against maller lineups...

Dreaming we get a SF that can play 20 mins a game, a Center that can play 20 mins and a PF that can play 20 mins..... keep dyss as a backup

the rest thanks for helping out... have a nice day
  3. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Here is my views on this team

Coaching: Flip Saunders. We need a change. He has improved. He did so well these playoffs, but the finish of Game 6 hurt him greatly. I would prefer Avery Johnson as new head coach.

Change: Flip fired, hire Avery

PG: This position we are fine at. Stuckey has completely shown that he can backup Chauncey very well. Not only that, he showed he can do it under playoff pressure as a rookie. If it were not for the injury Chauncey would have done a lot better. He is still a top PG and with a coach like Avery he might be even better.

Change: No change unless a great deal somehow shows up

SG: Changes are needed here. Rip toughed it out in Game 6, but this team needs a spark off the bench at SG. I think Afflalo needs more playing time and another guard should be drafted.

Change: Keep Rip (possibly make him come off the bench to make a spark ala Ginobili), give Afflalo more playing time, draft another guard.

SF: This is our weakest position. Tay is good but he is not aggressive enough. He should not be playing 40+ minutes per game. The Pistons need a better back up than Jarvis Hayes. My solution is going after Ron Artest. Yeah you heard me, Ron Artest.

Change: Go after Ron Artest like crazy. Tay or Artest off the bench would be insane. Plus him and Tay would be a great tandem to guard the LeBron's and Paul Pierce's of the NBA.

PF: This position is kind of confusing in what we need to change. I think we should keep Sheed unless he cannot work under the new coach. Get Max and Amir more playing time as well.

Change: Like PG, keep the phones open for a trade, but a major fix is not needed.

C: Keep Dice if we still think we have a shot at winning it all. The guy struggled all season but his desire for the championship made him turn it all around and do great in the playoffs. Theo is nice off the bench, but this is another position the Pistons should look at during the draft.

Change: Get a big man who can help Sheed in defending the paint. One who can help on the boards and also finish inside.

Bench: Get Stuckey, Max, Amir, and Afflalo more playing time. The Pistons also need to get deeper at SF.
  4. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Tay has to go. He's has the most trade value, and he insists on playing a ton of minutes, when he doesn't have the endurance to play more than 35 mpg without tiring out.

JMax has to go. A lot of teams would love to get him, again, a ton of trade value. JMax is a spark, has a lot of energy, great blocks, nice scorer; but he doesn't rebound, his free throws really hurt, and is just too small for lengthy minutes.

FA signings: Nenad and Delfino (yes that Delfino)

Next years lineup: Core: CB, Rip, Stuckey, Delfino, Nenad, (super star PF/C from trading Tay, Sheed, and JMax); role players: Afflalo, Hermann, Dice, and Amir.
  5. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Tay as 6th man. Get an new SF, maybe Marion. I wonder if G. Hill coming off the pine would have tipped this series in our favor.

Elton Brand would look good at PF, though his Achilles is an issue.
  6. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I mentioned Ron Artest, but if Marion opted out...he is too good though. Someone is going to pay a lot more for him than us.

We need a SF to help Tay though. He has too much load on him to stop the superstar perimeter player. He needs help.
  7. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I think what this team needs the most is a change of attitude, and I've been saying for 2 or 3 years.

And I think the two biggest carriers of the "flip-the-switch, we're entitled" attitude are Sheed and Chauncey. If they're our two best players, then the example they set is a big problem.

Flip? Could he make better decisions? Yeah. But has he ever been able to completely take the reigns of this team with the vets running the real show? Not really. His fault or their fault? Both. He should be gone too.

Back-up at SF is a need. Hayes isn't the answer.

Develop the bench we've got. But I have a feeling AA will be the odd man out, if he isn't already.

Get a decent pass first PG, let him split minutes with Stuck. Get a PF that actually likes to play in the paint. For God's sake, get a true center and stop inserting finesse PFs at C to try to stop stallions in the paint. Get a coach that the players respect. And I think the talent of the rest of the roster will carry the way.

(GO WINGS!)
  8. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Tay has height but no lateral quickness. Plus he does not have the go to guy attitude. He is a very good role player IMO. I would lean towards making him a 6th man and pony up for a Marion type, if available. Don't know diddly about the cap situation, so no comments from that standpoint.
  9. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Chauncey is staying and we cannot get a third PG. Stuck does not get enough minutes as of right now. We are fine a PG talent wise. Now all we need is a coach that gets into Chauncey's face like LB did. If we get that the Pistons might have the best PG tandem in the league. Plus Rip would still be here.
  10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

He does not have the size and strength. He shuts down all the good shooters, but he cannot guard the big small forwards. Bottom line is we need a SF to help him. If we get Artest, or especially Marion (he can complain but he is not as volatile as Artest) that would be amazing.
  11. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Chauncey may stay. But in my opinion, I don't think he should. His decision making has slipped, he rushes up too many ill advised 3 pointers, he doesn't drive the lane like he should on smaller PG's, and it seems his attitude has morphed him into a mini-Sheed.

Think back to the playoffs MVP Chauncey vs the 2008 Chauncey. His game has slipped, and his ego hasn't adjusted accordingly.
  12. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I don't see it like that. Don't just remember 04, remember 05 too. He was a Finals MVP candidate even though we lost. Now remember 06. He completely slipped and was outperformed by Jason Williams in an elimination game.

A player does not slip that much in one year. Chauncey needs a guy like LB to keep those 3's and jumpers in check. I think a coaching change partially fixes the problem with Chauncey. In 06 and 07 he pissed me off, but this time he didn't. He got injured and it took him some time to get back on track. Plus his "ego" was in check. He said Boston was better.
  13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I noticed on the poll, the votes for getting rid of two starters was 8 before last nights game and now it has grown to 12.

If tay is to stay, we don't need a back up for him....he needs to be the backup for someone else that we bring to shut down the other team's star. In fact he and Dice should come off the bench with Stuckey, Amir and Aflollo. Max shoud start with whom Billups, Rip and the two star players we get for the Sheed trade. Our bench would be the best 6-10 players in basketball.
  14. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I like this idea
  15. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Tay off the bench would be nice, but we need a SF that is starter material.
  16. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

In the past, forumites have talked about trying to get Shane Battier. He is still in the prime of his career (he'll be 30) and is a solid player. Houston needs another ingredient and might be interested in having Sheed play alongside Yao. Battier is only a small forward. But would a Sheed for Battier trade make sense? Just thinking out loud.
  17. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I would do a Sheed for Battier and Luis Scola trade :sssh:
  18. pistonsloyalist

Somebody may have suggested this, but how about trying to get Andris Biedrins, Golden State's young center, who seems to be developing into a very good player?
  19. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I like the idea. He can rebound very well.
  20. pistonsloyalist

I think Nellie is quite high on Biedrins, and he would demand a lot in return. He would have been a much cheaper pickup a couple of seasons ago when he was a struggling player.