The Official Tigers Magic Number thread

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Darth Tater, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

The magic number for the Tigers to win the division championship is 14

That means any combination of Tigers wins and Twins losses totaling that amount results in our first division championship since 1987.

Go Get Em Tigers!!

(Sorry guys, I shouldn't let one victory over a weak opponent get my hopes so high).

So that means the magic number to clinch a wildcard spot over the White Sox is "only" 12.
  2. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

It happened yesterday, but I just heard about it today:

The faltering Detroit Tigers added another veteran bat to their line-up for the stretch run when they acquired first baseman-slugger Matt Stairs from the Texas Rangers on Friday.
  3. Darth Tater

Stairs? Who is that? Will he help them climb to the top? :sorry:
  4. bezeach

Last Three Seasons:
    [pre]
    Year Team G Doubles Triples HR AVG.
    2003 PIT 121 20 1 20 .292
    2004 KC 126 21 3 18 .267
    2005 KC 127 26 1 13 .275
    [/pre]
  5. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

given the way the last few series have gone... i'd have been just as happy last night if they'd just split those 17 runs across the three games of the series.

still, i'm happy they won and happy the twins lost. nice to see them GAIN some ground for a change.

obviously making the playoffs would be great (not that it wouldn't have been a great season anyway), and winning the division would be greater... but even more, I'd like to see them build a little momentum back up to finish the season.
  6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Professor, back in the day, my mom would say the same thing: "The Tigers should have saved some of those runs for the next couple of games." :amen:

As I saw them pile up the runs last night, all I could think about was how consistent they have been this month. This is the fifth series in a row that the Tigers have won the opening game scoring runs with ease. The problem is in each of the previous four series, they have lost the remaining games with little offense. :ohwell: :frusty:

Let's hope that they can score some run for Nate "No Runs" Robertson tonight and reduce that magic #
  7. professor

nice, tough win tonight. robertson was sweet.

listening to leyland's postgame on fox, again, i couldn't help but think: man, is he available to coach the pistons?? seems to be a real no nonsense straightshooter. nothing flaky about him (unlike both Flip and LB, imo)
  8. Darth Tater

For real Prof. Leyland is my kind of coach.

Looks like the Twins will win so the magic number is

9. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I like Leyland also. Could we clone him and have him coach the Pistons? He would put a boot in Rasheed's behind and get him playing to his all-star potential.
  10. professor

i think he would get him playing to potential too, WW. But what i like about him is that I don't get the feeling (not that i'd know, having never been in their clubhouse) that he has to put a boot to anybody's behind. there's no power or authority trip with leyland. there's just a kind of very quiet command about him that seems to come equally from his experience (and success) in the game, from not acting like he knows everything, and from his quiet peace with himself. i have no doubt rasheed would respond to that, but i think it would be because leyland's clone wouldn't even need to kick him in the ass. he's just so obviously "the man" that it seems not even to occur to him to have to show it.

come to think of it, i don't know any NBA coaches -- as many successful ones as there are -- with that sort of demeanor.
  11. Darth Tater

Well, if you play the season out a million times on the computer, this is how things turn out:

Hint...The Tigers are in easily.

(Guys like DBA are gonna love this).

Postseason Odds
  12. bezeach

Big series against the Sox. Can't wait (unless they blow it!!!)

And also: Would Texas part with Mark Teixeira, or Hank Blalock? The latter would be easier to acquire than the former, but nothing should be ruled out. Rangers owner Tom Hicks is fed up with his team -- so fed up it might yet cost manager Buck Showalter his job. It's something to think about as the Tigers prepare to deal some pitching -- and as the Rangers prepare to shake up their club.
    -- Detroit News
  13. Darth Tater

Top of the 8th and Tigers up 4-0. Lookin' good. **Holds breath**

If the Tigers win it's a 6 game lead with 12 to go. The Sox can't overcome that.

Winning the division is another matter.

6 outs to go.
  14. Darth Tater

Magic number is 12 to win the division.

Magic Number is 7 to clinch the wildcard spot.

15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Mets first to clinch a div crown>>>Tigers should have been the first. If the schedule remains positive, they can finish ahead of the Yanks which would be icing on the cake if they do hold on to win the division

As the bumper stickers read in 1968 "Sock it to em Tigers!":nod:
  16. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

:hmmm: That reminds me, I had a German Shepherd like that for 13 years.:rolleyes:

This dog was so dominant that every dog he met, and most people deferred to him immediately. He wasn't aggressive or intimidating. "A very quiet command about him" is the perfect way to describe him. Every creature that ever met him knew that he was the alpha male and the leader of any pack he was in. He was never in a dog fight once, but he ruled with a direct penetrating look right in the eyes. He was never challenged in his long life.

I think our guys require an Alpha Male at the helm. Someone who won't have any part of the "If it ain't rough, it ain't right" bravado. If I never hear that phrase again, it'll be too soon. Someone who won't jump on any player idea that comes along: HCA will secure us the title.

I don't see Flip Saunders establishing dominance over our remaining four starters.I just don't think he has that kind of will over other people. I'm actually surprised he's gotten as far as he has with his demeaner being so submissive, accomodating and deferential, even to the media. I think he's a politician at heart, not an alpha male.

Avery Johnson and Nate McMillan both strike me as natural alpha male NBA coaches. They haven't been coaching very long, but they absolutely run the show.
  17. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

OOPS! :doh: :smash: Sorry Tigers and Baseball readers. I forgot what thread I was in.:loco: This Pistons stuff :blah:should be...not here.

:focus: Jim Leyland is the best kind of an alpha male! GO TIGERS.
  18. professor

could be. i don't really know specifically what zoologists define as an alpha male. although what i've observed of Leyland that really strikes me is his calmness, what most people call "philosophical" demeanor. i've never seen him chew someone out, i've never seen him throw a player under the media bus or even call them out. i find it completely awesome that -- a propos their playoff chances -- he can say with complete calmness and utter sincerity: "we're a good team, we'll find if we're good enough. if we make it then we were and if we don't then we weren't."

I don't know mcmillan at all, but avery -- good as I think he is -- is a screamer. now maybe that's just the difference between hoops and baseball. actually, now that i think of it, the person that leyland most reminds me of in basketball circles might be john wooden.

i think authority i see in leyland comes not just from baseball savvy, but from wisdom.

k, could i get any farther from teh topic?
  19. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Well...it's not about the Tigers Magic Number...but you're at least you're still aiming for the target of Tigers baseball.

Unlike myself, who is talking basketball instead of baseball. And German Shepherd dogs instead of Tiger cats. :lame:(But I think I'll start a Dog Stories thread in the Green Room).:rolleyes: :)
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

A buddy just gave me Sox/Tigers tix for tonight. I will go and witness the death blow that are about to administer at the Cell.