The Orlando Magic

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by himat, Jun 6, 2006.

1. himat

himat Bench Warmer

We need Orlando to suck next year. Dwight breaking his leg would be a fine deal:eyebrows:.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

None of that please.
  3. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I agree that he wouldn't be a lottery pick again. Is this you?

http://static.flickr.com/67/181833842_090bf87c07_o.jpg
  4. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

I wish I could grow a mustache half that cool. And yeah, he'd be a lottery pick. Who would you rather have, Nazr or Darko?

Care to guess who has the better season next year? Scary thought, with Dwight, Jameer, Turkoglu, Darko, and Reddick starting, and Arroyo and Battie coming off the bench, Orlando could have a better season than us next year.
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Darko is probably going to spend a lot of time on injured reserve with some heinous sunburn.
  6. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I'm going to go on record now and say that the Darko move was probably a mistake now. (Can't believe I'm uttering those words) I believe Joe's thought process was that Darko would never get any time here. Funny, the difference a couple months make. Now we are signing an underwhelming center with considerably less upside for a long term deal.

I hate to say it, but Joe D./Bill D./Flip have really stunk it up the past year and some change. We've seen flaws in Joe's approach. It is impossible to keep a team of hungry players motivated after winning the championship using the same pay check criteria that was used to get them there in the first place. Free agent success, team identity and player development rely strongly on the players buying in on a concept. What is the Pistons concept now? Are we really talking about an organization that is loyal to its players or only loyal if they fall in line with a below market compensation plan? I think this management team has done an excellent job of building a championship team but has failed miserably as it pertains to maintaining that continuity. Like Flip, Bill Davidson and Joey D. have shown an inability to be adaptive to what is necessary to keep a championship team and more importantly a championship ATTITUDE in tact.

In the next couple months we will see just how prepared Joe Dumars was for the inevitable implosion of his championship foundation. We will see just how well we've done evaluating our young talent. I say this because at this point given our financial situation, Nazr and any other free agent we may happen to muster will not be the key to giving this franchise hope again. It will be the youth. Our best case scenario is that Maxiel, Acker, Amir and our latest draft picks show us some outstanding upside and push the incumbents. We also have to bank on the fact that Flip learns from his previous mistakes and does his best coaching job ever. ..and if he doesn't Joe needs to identify that swiftly so that we will not lose too much ground this year. Make no mistake, we are taking a step back. But if we see a nice insurgence of our youth this year, perhaps that might be enough to challenge the league again sooner than expected. Besides, even with Ben Wallace our chances for winning with Flip behind the wheel were questionable at best.

Could Orlando be better than us next year? Absolutely. But, if Joe finally finds gold from his draft selections and figures out a way to bring the best out of Flip's coaching abilities, we excel past Orlando easily. Even better, we will be positioned to make some real noise in 2007-2008. Then maybe we can begin to look past why we let the heart and soul of the team along with the only big man he has trained the past couple of years walk out the arena getting virtually nothing in return.
  7. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Darko should really be compared to AJ and not Nazr. If 2 years from now, AJ is the better player, and we can get a decent player in next years draft, then the Darko trade won't be such a disaster.

But the biggest change Joe and Flip need to make is to stop looking at our team as us and them, us the starters, and Dice; them, everyone else. It's been assumed that everyone would always be there, and the team took players for granted, or underestimated the value of guys not playing assuming they'd never break into the lineup.

We need an honest competition for playing time next year, or we could be watching Darko and Wade in the ECFs.
  8. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I think you are right Mo.

In the words of Dr. Smith for those who remember the original Lost in Space, "Oh the pain...the pain"
  9. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

The mistake is judging on hindsight in one case, and prematurely in the other. Next year's draft class is loaded. It's quite conceivable that the Magic pick could land us a guy like Josh McRoberts, a big with some Darkoesque skills but not the attitude problems.
  10. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I doubt it.......
  11. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

And Dr. Smith also uttered, "you bubblehead booby", I won`t say who that is refering to.................:laugh: