The Patriots Still Haven't Convinced Me

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by buddahfan, Oct 15, 2007.

1. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Offensively.... that's exactly what it was.

2. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

That analogy if pretty outrageous.

In the NFL injuries are expected. Excuses because of injury are not.

3. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

If the Colts were so hopelessly depleted, then why were a bunch of people still picking them to win this game? I know the spread favored New England, but plenty of commentators on ESPN, etc. were picking the Colts. It wasn't even remotely like the Cavs-Wizards playoff series last year, where it was over before it began because the Wizards' two best players were hurt.

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Lions over the Pats in the Superbowl for the upset of the Phanerozoic* Eon?

* The Phanerozoic Eon is the current eon in the geologic timescale, and the one during which abundant animal life has existed. It covers roughly 545 million years and goes back to the time when diverse hard-shelled animals first appeared.

5. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Excuses for losing the game, not for why a team shouldn't be Patting (heh) themselves on the back for beating a team that wasn't at full strength.

Injuries are expected in boxing as well.

So that means if you go after Iron Mike while he's laid up with a broken arm and leg you're a better fighter when you win.

The analogy is completely appropriate. Yesterdays version of the Colts are in no way close to the team they have when everyone is playing.
    If parts of the team are not playing then you don't have the whole team, kindof skews the comparison when all things aren't considered equal doesn't it.

Bottom line: Until the Pats beat the entire Colts team they aren't better than the entire Colts team.

All last night proved is that the Patriots are slightly better than a Colts squad minus their best receiver, his only backup, 2 starting LB's and a starting RT.

That, is the equivalent of me catching D Wade post-op and declaring myself a better basketball player after running around his wheelchair on my way to 21 points.

Nothing outrageous at all about it. Pats won, Colts lost. Thats the end of it though. No way does beating a team at half strength mean that the winning team is better.

6. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

There were late gametime scratches in that game D4E, thats why. Harrison wanted to, and was expected to play.

7. basketbills

Well to start with Boxing is a poor analogy because it isn't a team sport...I mean if it was Manning against Brady and Manning was hurt you could use your analogy Cloud.

Then, of course if Iron Mike was laid up with broken body parts there wouldn't even be a fight to begin with.

Other than that the analogy works, I guess.

8. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I saw reports about him being out as early as Saturday, maybe Friday. And I saw a lot of people on TV picking the Colts to win on Sunday, when it was already clear that Harrison wasn't going to play.

9. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Your facts are wrong.

Locally (Indianapolis) Harrison himself was saying that he expected to play. Sunday when you claim that he was certainly not going to play he had been upgraded from doubtful to uncertain, which coincidentally is the antithesis of "certain".

10. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

The human body is the epitome of team concept. Individual parts working in concert so effortlessly that most are unaware of the parts themselves or the actions they are facilitating (see autonomic nervous system)

It's a wonderful analogy. Marvin Harrison would be Tyson's arm (Offensive punch) and the missing defensive starters would be Tyson's leg (maneuvering him defensively around the ring).

It's really a beautiful thing when you think about it....

I'm going to go Pat (hah!) myself on the back for that one. :)

11. basketbills

LOl...good one Cloud! OK...I'll officially accept the analogy.

12. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

my sentiments exactly.

13. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think Buddah is avoiding this thread... :pound:

14. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think you're right! :cold:

15. linwood

linwood All-Star

Pfffft. I'm going to play it safe and wait for them both to play 10 to 12 more games before I start crowning a champion.

16. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Brady came back and won the game in the 4th quarter. Manning fumbled in the fourth quarter. Marvin Harrison's replacement was not involved with either play. Both teams committed a total of 7 turnovers. Harrison could have not stopped any of them. It's simple. Brady got it done after a rough start and Manning went down in flames with his team. New England won, even with a so-so effort. Just think how well they'd have done without those incorrect pass interference calls against their defense and some solid, error free play. They would have won by three touchdowns...........:gun1::gun1:

17. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Perhaps if Manning had more weapons to throw to, the Patriots wouldn't have been able to get away with blitzing him so often.

Any "perceived" incorrect defensive pass interference call is easily outweighed by all the non calls of offensive pass interference on Randy Moss alone.

He's a great receiver but offensive pass interference is his calling card whenever the QB throws deep.

18. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I enjoy this debate about these two teams. I've been having it with my wife all season long. I really love them both. Figure one of them will win the Super Bowl.........

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Pittsburgh looked pretty good last night. It's conceivable that they could rattle one of these QB's. All it takes is one big hit.

20. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Whatever team that ultimately comes out of the AFC will certainly have their hands full trying to match up with the Lions in the Super Bowl...