***THE PICKS***

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Mogilny, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

8th Brandon Knight

33rd Kyle Singler

52nd Vernon Macklin

The time is almost 6 am here so I'll save my thoughts for tomorrow but I give our picks in this draft the highest possible grade. We have our young prospects at the two hardest positions to fill and that's a good thing.

Discuss.
  2. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

As a senior, Macklin played 24.5 minutes a night and posted averages of 11.5 points and 5.4 rebounds. He also has upside on the defensive end.

"He's got long arms, he can block some shots and he does a decent job defending the low post," Detroit Pistons Vice President of Basketball Operations Scott Perry said.

Macklin closed out his college career scoring a personal-best 25 points in Florida's NCAA tournament loss to Florida.

"I think what he really started to do, especially in their tournament run, was show an ability to score in the low post. He's got good hands down there," Perry said.

Macklin really caught the Pistons attention when he worked out for the team earlier this week with top prospects Tristan Thompson, Bismack Biyombo and Markieff Morris.

"We liked what we saw," Perry said. "He definitely held his own, played well and made an impression on us. He definitely played like he belonged."
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Knight and Singler both have very nice looking strokes. Knight is being favorably compared to John Wall in many areas. Tons of potential and has is the latest in a crazy string of guards from Calipari.

Singler seems to be vulnerable on defense, so not sure how he differentiates himself from Daye on our squad. His form really is strong though. His shooting percentage could be very high if he is selective.

Macklin is an unknown for me. Seems big and athletic. His college 3 pt FG shooting was actually pretty decent at .370 or something like that- not sure if that was based on a very limited set of shots or if he actually has some range. His FT shooting looks horrendous though, so probably small sample size on 3's. Many comments about him not rebounding or using his left hand. He must have worked out like he wanted to be in the D though, so that's a good thing.

Surprising draft for us. Was expecting a defensive big man, but Joe had to call an audible and then he chose to bolster the SF position not that Tay is leaving.
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Chad Ford's instant analysis:

#8 - Brandon Knight: Do the Pistons need yet another combo guard? They clearly wanted to go big and thought they'd get Tristan Thompson or Bismack Biyombo. But with Knight sliding to No. 8, the Pistons felt they had to take the best talent available. He has major upside, is a great teammate, works hard and plays defense. The Pistons can move Rodney Stuckey to the 2, and they'll be fine. Barring a trade, they'll have to find another big man some other time.

#33 - Kyle Singler: The Pistons went for toughness at No. 33. Singler has struggled with his shot and lacks a clear position, but he's one of the toughest guys out there. One scout said he could be an Andres Nocioni type of player in the future.

#52 - Vernon Macklin: Macklin is a solid low-post player who improved greatly over his college career. He's tough, and that goes over well in Detroit.
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Moligny called it, no?

I like these picks conceptually at least. Knight is a bright, bright kid which might be nice to have at that position. I'm kind of excited.

I don't watch college ball, but I liked what I saw of Macklin in the 3 minutes I saw him play. Singler is another banger type. At least they don't look like they should be wearing dresses.

If Joe drafts enough guards he eventually has to stumble on 3 that can play together at the same time.
  7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Hey now, Let's not take potshots at Rascoe. We need to be more accepting around here. Sheesh.
  8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

It's been great knowing you if I get banned..........
  9. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I hear Knight is ecstatic about coming to the D.
  10. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

He'll be playing with a chip on his shoulder:

I think I read somewhere he's the youngest player in this draft.

Maybe we could have swung for the fences with the second pick but I like it. Singler is an intanglibles guy - leadership, character, winner jada jada. It will come to use in the locker room next season when the losses start to rack up. I don't watch much college hoops but from what I've read he's all hustle, smartness, toughness and a great shooter. And he looks like a younger and uglier Gary Busey.

And what about Vernon Freakin' Macklin, probably the second oldest player in the draft after Biyombo. 24 years, 6-9 and 243 lbs of pure quality. A taller and skinnier JMax?
  11. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Gary Busey? Ouch, that's harsh man. Haha.

I'm on board with these picks. Now Joe has to earn his wage by clearing the backcourt mess. If we see Knight as our future he needs to start right away.
  12. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I like our #8 pick. If Knight can really step up and take the PG reins, it would be very good for this team.

I don't have high expectations about the second rounders, but it looked like they were decent enough guys. Apparently Macklin was also at the workout with Biyombo & Thompson and he impressed the Pistons crew.

Welcome to your new home boys! Glad to have you and we're looking forward to watching you succeed on the court.
  13. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

I'm excited about having Brandon Knight with our 8th pick.

I remember wathcing him in the all-american McDonald's game last year, then watching Kentucky about 10 times this year, And I wish all the time if we could get him it would be nice.

I'm thrilled.

This is what I thought.

PG - Knight / Bynum
    SG - Stuckey / Gordon
    SF - Daye / Singler
    PF - Jerebko / CV / Maxiell
    C - Monroe / Wallace (IF he comes back)

Of course, Hamilton and Prince are out od that because I don't know what is going to happen with them.. But Maybe we can get a starting SF and a BIG to make Jerebko a 6th man (Kaman?)

And I don't know what is going to happen with Summers and Wilcox, Are they out?
  14. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Happy that we can maybe move Stuckey to the 2 (where he seems to be more comfortable) and if in the long run, Knight is the go to scoring option, Stuck can be a reasonable other option and provide some solid D. Another good big through a trade hopefully and the team has some real promise.

Still haven't seen what White can provide yet either and if he is a step up from Bynum, all the better.

Liking what I saw in this video on Kyle Singler too:

YouTube - ‪Kyle Singler Retrospective‬‏

With JJ back in the lineup, we may not still see lots of W's straight away but looks like we will see some effort and hustle.

I can handle my sports teams losing, but can't stand lack of effort. I'm going through both with my Australian Rules Football team at the moment.
  15. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

16. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

My reaction - surprise. Not by the picks, but that Knight lasted so long. The guy has MAJOR skill and comes from a proven track record at the Calipari school of PG, that has to mean something. The run on Euro / African big men was hilarious. Yes, they look awesome during the draft process, but how many actually pan out: Gasol brothers, Dirk, Scola, etc. Most never even suit up for a few years yet are continually chosen over proven guys.

What I most like about Knight is he slid down the Board and he knows it. Did any one catch the interview after he was chosen. The man looked possessed like he was going to MURDER someone. Chip on the shoulder for sure which is a good thing. Plus all the chatter how there were no good players. We may have a steal here. This is a little homerism, but in all honesty the guy was even suppose to be there that is why there is surprise. As for the talk about another guard, well this is indication that Stuckey is NOT the PG of the future - SG probably. Finally, the man can play his natural position. As for defense, we can now trout out 2 BIG guards.

The Singler pick was good value. I don't know exactly how he will fit in, but proven shooter, big body, from a good program etc. What else do you want for your 2nd round pick except guys that have a chance to be in the league. If he sticks around or even starts wow.

Macklin. Better version of Maxiel at a MUCH cheaper price. How does Max go 1st round and Macklin 57 in a weak draft.

Let the rebuilding begin.

PG: Knight
    SG: Stuckey / Gordon
    SF: Daye / Singler
    PF: Jerebko / Macklin / Singler
    C: Monroe / CV

Interesting point. Is this draft an indication that Joe thinks Jonas is the PF of the future or is it more a best player available? You go with Knight at 8 obviously with he there, but Singler is more of a SF in my opinion, whereis there were still SOME big guys left.
  17. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

Vernon Macklin is alright, but I'm better he won't do much of anything in this league. Kind of like Summers. He probably won't be a Piston in 2 seasons. No much to see there.

Singler was a nice base hit. Kind of a know what you're getting type of player. He's tough and he'll bring it, he has to improve his spot up jumper and his defense though. Should be a decent rotation guy.

The most intriguing thing about Knight when I saw him in college was his defensive potential. He has a great wingspan which should allow him to keep players in front of him. He has to become a more consistent scorer and will need some grooming to be a real PG, but he's closer to the position than Stuckey. Him and Stuckey actually isn't a bad backcourt for the immediate future. Have to wonder when or if Knight will actually log significant minutes this season.
  18. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Will have a lot to do with the new coach I suppose - the next BIG piece of the puzzle.

I'm optimistic about the coming season with:

PG: Knight / Bynum / White
    SG: Stuckey / Gordon
    SF: Daye / Singler
    PF: Jerebko / Macklin / Singler
    C: Monroe / CV

*edit: by optimistic, I don't necessarily mean winning season or playoffs, but cohesion and team effort over tantrums and laughing the coach off the court.
  19. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Too bad neither Monroe or CV are really centers, particularly CV.
  20. Brap

Brap Starter

Okay, I'm nominating this post for post of the year. :)

David Aldridge on nba tv, pointed out last night that Utah now has 4 power forward center types and can only play 3 (Favors, Millsap, Kanter and Big Al Jefferson), and that they have to trade 1. They also, he said, are in big need of a veteran SG - a guy who they can let Burks play behind for a couple of years and that the perfect guy they SHOULD trade for is Rip Hamilton, and the logical guy for them to trade is Millsap. Rip, he says, would be rejuvinated by this trade, playing for a really good team.

Millsap for Rip turns the Pistons draft into an A+ instantly.

By the way, think about what the draft of Knight means for the Pistons, especially if Tay and Rip are off the roster. Knight is super fast - he tested faster at the draft combine than John Wall did, and his agility is at elite testing levels. Stuckey and he running (I mean running, like he says he'd always wants to do, and which has been impossible to do with slugs like Tay and Rip, who took over and slowed it down every time), along with Bynum and Gordon and even White (maybe), with Greg Monroe as a great passer, JJ (obviously a big time runner) and Daye (who runs the court really well when a break is happening) -- and suddenly the Pistons have the makings of a dynamic and fast offense.

Now give us Millsap, so we can sit Charlie V's butt, or better yet, get rid of him altogether with a new CBA amnesty thing (which some people are predicting will happen), then we've got a very very nice core for the future. And we'll be a team with great potential for a lot of lottery balls in the loaded 2012 draft.