***THE PICKS***

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Mogilny, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

The predraft camp measurements of point guards 2000-2011. Knight is top 15 in 7/8 categories. His best results is the 3/4 court sprint where he's 2 hundreds of a second behind Rose. His worst is weight were he's ranked 31st, but he's very young.

The Long & Short

Here is David Lockes (Utah Jazz radio voice) scouting breakdown of Brandon Knight. I didn't post it when I posted his other breakdowns of the Euro guys since I didn't believe he was within our range. I don't know how much knowledge this guy has got but his scouting reports has been pretty popular during the draft. He's usually pretty critical and hard on details but he really likes Knight as the Jazz pick.

YouTube - ‪brandon knight‬‏

2. del

del Team Captain Forum Donor

Yea, I took the basis for that off an earlier post a bit hastily. Monroe has been decent in the role, but it was a lot for him to take on in his first year.

Either way, we still need someone to start next to Monroe and Macklin is probably not a starter. But it is apparent we need to trade Rip and/or Tay, so hopefully that could land us with a decent pair for Monroe. Something like Brap suggested would be just right.

As much as I don't like him, I can deal with CV filling minutes between Monroe, [trade piece] and JJ in the C/PF positions with where we are at.

3. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

CV is a center due to his speed and footwork, not size or skill

4. Mogilny

It's not that much of a logjam, we "only" have to move one of Bengo and Rip. Since Bengo probably is pretty much immovable, and could be put to some use and doesn't pollute the lockerroom ,it's Rip. If we somehow manage to get rid him and resign Stuckey + JJ this is the roster:

Knight, Bynum (White)
    Stuckey, Bengo
    Daye, Singler
    Jerebko, CV, JMax
    Monroe, Macklin, Ben?

White is in the same position he was last year, he'll sign for a couple of dimes and is a longshot project. Use him during practice, as cover for injuries or put him in the D-league if he sucks and if he's a gem, give him Bynums role.

I don't know how to get rid of Rip though. I don't believe in Rip for Millsap, why would the Jazz trade someone with positive value for someone with negative value? It would solve the logjams but so would just giving away Millsap and picking up a veteran SG with break even value.

A nice scenario would be if we found a PF or C with a similar contract to Rips and just switch bad contracts with some other team. I dunno if there are any similar contracts out there at teams with a need for a SG though.

Also, looking at the roster it's apparent that we are in serious need of size and athleticism. But this is a major step in the correct direction.

5. Brap

Brap Starter

I'm just hoping David Aldridge proves to be a soothsayer.

I do get the logic for Utah in Millsap for Rip. Millsap isn't going to get much time on that team, unless there's an injury. Their future at PF is Favors. Millsap will be a guy they lose in a couple years because he won't resign with them. Burks isn't ready to start, and Rip on a new team would be potential lightning in a bottle - no way is Rip used up as an athlete, he'd be rejuvinated on a new, good team. Rip's contract runs out in 2 years, which is about right for Utah and Burks.

6. Mogilny

I'm also praying for his words to come true, but Millsap has got some value? Why wouldn't they trade him to some other team for a pick or whatever and just grab Rip from us for nothing?

7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

NBA draft ticker: Scholarly Brandon Knight brings more than a high hoops IQ | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

In other breaking news Stuckey is close to being able to spell Yale all on his own. I hope Knight doesn't use any big words when he's trying to get #3 to run with him on the break.

8. Brap

Brap Starter

Nice one Ernie.

It really could be an ideal pairing, Knight and Stuckey, two big guards, Knight a great shooter (and he really is a great shooter - watch the Sports Science piece on him), Stuckey a great driving guard, both big and very fast, both strong defensively, and both of whom can handle the ball. Stuckey is very underrated as a Chauncey-esq ballhandler.

It will take awhile for Knight to acclimate and for those two to learn to play together. Knight is just 19, so I'm not expecting immediate greatness from him.

But in a couple of seasons, this could be very outstanding.

9. Mogilny

They guys with contracts similar to Rip:

Code:

Rip                25.3M/2y
    Corey Maggette     21.1M/2y CHA
    Jose Calderon      20.3M/2y TOR
    Baron Davis        28.9M/2y CLE
    Josh Smith         25.6M/2y ATL
    Stephen Jackson    19.3M/2y MIL
    Gerald Wallace     23.1M/2y POR
    Al Jefferson       29.0M/2y UTA

The only one who's not a guard we could get for Rip without adding something is Maggette imo. :cold:

10. Brap

Brap Starter

Strengths:
    * Intelligent
    * Good shooter
    * Got better as year progressed at running his team
    * Athletic
    Weaknesses:
    * Needs to get bigger and stronger
    * Needs to develop mid-range game
    * Continue to emphasize facilitating for teammates

NBA projection:
    Lottery pick. Just as former John Calipari point guards Derrick Rose, Tyreke Evans and John Wall before him, Knight used his freshman season in college to continually evolve as a point guard. He’ll continue to get better and better in the NBA and add the dimension of consistent deep shooting that his predecessors didn’t have.
    2010-11 Season:
    Knight was a first-team freshman All-America pick by the United States Basketball Writers Association and a first-team All-SEC selection. He won six SEC Freshman of the Week awards, tying the record set by Alabama’s James "Hollywood" Robinson. He finished fourth in the league in scoring, second in assists, first in minutes played and fifth in three-pointers per game (2.3).
    Key statistics:
    17.3 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 4.1 apg, 3.1 tpg, 0.6 spg, 35.9 mpg, .423 FG, .377 3PT, .795 FT
    Cool statistic:
    Knight broke the Kentucky freshman scoring record for points in a season (657) that had been only a year old. John Wall scored 616 points a year ago. Knight also knocked down a Kentucky freshman record 87 three-pointers.
    Reminds me of:
    Jason Terry
    What Insiders Say:
    Kentucky coach John Calipari
    "I told him that his curve is probably sharper than even Derrick's or Tyreke's or John's. Where he was at the beginning of the year and where he is now, it's been a—you're talking about a freshman, 18-year-old guard, leading his team, playing just about every minute that he can stand on that basketball court. And we're one of the five teams in the country with the least amount of turnovers. And so that alone, he's running the club, he's still scoring, we need him to score points, he's kind of going through what Tyreke and John Wall went through. Those two in high school took a lot of shots, just like Brandon, and had to figure out how I do this within this team. Derrick was a little different. We had to get him to shoot. But I'm really pleased, really pleased."
    What Outsiders Say:
    Former Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl
    "Brandon Knight’s a better shooter [than John Wall]. They both have got great length as point guards. John Wall might be the fastest guard from end to end to ever play the game. That’s one facet of being a point guard is his explosiveness and speed. He’s just a rare athlete like that. But Brandon Knight’s got length, he’s got every bit the feel, he’s a better shooter. He’s a good defender. I just think they’re comparable with the exception of Wall’s rare athleticism and explosiveness and speed with the ball."
    Ohio State coach Thad Matta
    "I’m very impressed with his ability to run their team. He's got the ability to not only score, but he makes players better around him. For his size as a point guard he is long, he is athletic, and he showed in the Princeton game things … he didn't shoot the ball particularly well in that game but he makes the game-winner. With as young as they are, I think he has done a tremendous job of coming in and learning the system that they are trying to play. He is a heck of a player. He is a challenge to guard."
    Georgia coach Mark Fox
    "I think he’s a better player in the half court than John Wall was. He shoots the ball better. He goes by you on the dribble. He’s got a super mind for the game. He makes passes that makes players better."

11. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Watching the video the thing that stands out about Knight is he is not the greatest ball handler. Hopefully he will grow into that and his shooting will make up for it.

And it was nice getting Gordon Hay...I mean Singler in the second round.

12. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I know that they're drastically different players and have drastically different strenghts/weaknesses but for some reason, B-K reminds me of Jalen Rose.

...Just his gate, his style, his shot, the way he handles the rock.

13. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I am watching NBA TV and Irving and Thompson are in Cleveland, have been handed their new uniforms and are being introduced to the press.

Anybody local know when the Pistons will introduce their picks at the palace? In case NBA TV does not show it, I need a stream.

15. LA Dre

Never mind, looks like per Macklin's twitter account, it will be Saturday.

16. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

You hardcore fans don't play, do you? :sherlock::laugh:

17. LA Dre

Neither Knight or Singler have tweeted yet, normally if you were real excited about being drafted, you would have showed your enthusiasm about it via your twitter or FB accounts....

18. Mogilny

I bet you and Bill will be facebook friends with Macklin before the season starts.

19. LA Dre

I did LIKE him on Facebook and posted a Welcome to the D on his page...:)

and sent one to Knight on his FB page too.

20. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Dre already posted on his wall. :pound::pound::pound: