***THE PICKS***

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Mogilny, Jun 23, 2011.

1. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

I'll say this once and that will be it. Some facts from JD's end: he picked a player who did not even try out (penetrating interviews do not work, kinda like the most recent coaching search); he took a freshman that played 7 games in his college career and contrary to his loooooong due-diligence phase of getting the proper player knowledge base, was caught flat-footed.

Now what? You have a untested and minor guard (PG) that was dropping because of accelerated media hype about two guards that are average. To help balance out Stuckey, you need a PG that is a penetrator and 3 pt. shooter. Point of line: you now have a PG who has a high dribble and will have difficulty turning corners (turnover heaven) and has a jump shot that starts exactly 3 inches straight out from his chin.

Furthermore, he has now added nothing with the two additional picks. One being another CV lateral slug who is a fifth year senior: age 23. The other is another fellow was ranked by Draft Express as the best 24 big man in the class of 2011: age 24.

Honest. I am not making this stuff up.
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Pass, I think you have Brandon Knight mixed up with Kyrie Irving....or perhaps you are making this stuff up.

Brandon Knight Stats, News, Photos - Kentucky Wildcats - ESPN
  3. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I'm really happy with our selection. Its the perfect storm so to speak. Whether you're debating Bismack or Jonas, Vesely or Thompson, it was all moot by number 8. Knight or Leonard or either of the Morris'? Its a no brainer. Knight may show why he slipped to us but I don't think so. He won't be instant awesome like a John Wall but in a few years I think he'll be good in ways we don't expect from him.

The pick also opens up a lot of opportunities for trades. It would be hard to pair Kemba and BenGo with Bynum coming off the bench. Which would really necessitate Stuckey coming back. Brandon works out well paired with Stuckey, Gordon, or Hamilton. I'd prefer to flat out waive Hamilton and let him sign with another team of his choosing. I don't know if we'd do that. But really Stuckey is our best tradeable asset. He's one of the top free agent guards this year.

What the organization needs to do is lay a solid foundation for these young players. We need a coaching staff that puts these guys in a position to grow. We need upper management to lay down some law and provide direction. Monroe, Jebreko and from what I read, Knight, are character guys. Daye, I see as an impressionable kid trying to act like a man. He can get there but not on his own.

We can pick all the talent in the world but if there's nothing to help them develop, we'll end up just like the Clippers.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

6. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

What are you talking about? We still criticize Joe for not drafting Demarcus Cousins last year. :MusicBigGrin:
  7. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

[​IMG]

He's like a mid-lottery Brady.
  8. Benjols

Benjols Second Round Draft Pick

I watched A LOT of Florida games, and yeah his hook shot is his calling card. Practices it with a medicine ball everyday. I actually think he could score with it in the NBA, I like Macklin more than just about everyone it seems, so maybe I'm biased, but I like him for a late 2nd rounder. Especially on this team.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The hook shot comes in handy if you're comfortable with it.

I just read that he took 4 jump shots last year. At least we don't have to worry about him hanging out at the arc like the post prime Sheed.

Looks like Macklin has a great wingspan/ standing reach, has a very high vertical for a tall guy, and posted great results in speed and lane agility. Good bonus body to put on the team this year when we are light on bigs.
  10. BillLaimbeer

Brandon pulling a Tay. Prince wears the jersey #22 as a result of his draft position, signifying the 22 teams that passed on drafting him.
  11. Mogilny

Todays presser with Joe and the picks. Nothing spectacular and everyone did a good job. V-Mack didn't get many questions but he looks excited. He's about to bring down Twitter with his spamming about how happy he is. Knight and Singler are a bit more collected on their accounts.

THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE DETROIT PISTONS
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

So, Knight better end up being better than Tay. 2 ships should do it.
  13. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I wonder what number Ben Gordon is changing to, or does he know something we don't? :sssh:
  14. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Maybe everyone forgot that Ben Gordon was on the team. We have so many guards that it's easy to lose a guy in the shuffle.
  15. BillLaimbeer

16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

C'mon, he can't really go with 7 can he? How is that possible.

I think they should have given Knight #11 help him develop.

I figure I'll stop calling him Brevin Knight sometime in the next year or 2.
  17. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I'm glad I'm not the only one having issues with this.
  18. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Woah. I think this guy might be playing with rather large-sized chip on his shoulder. I like it.

But technically, one team passed on him twice. :nerd:
  19. max

max All-Star

They will remember him when they cut the checks. He is the guy with the 33mil balance owed to.

Odd how they always leave out the obvious information like how was he able to select Ben Gordons number.
  20. Mogilny

I read Gordon filed for a change of numbers to 8 sometime during last season, so 7 was one of the numbers available.