***THE PICKS***

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Mogilny, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Anyone know why Gordon changed to #8? Did he grown an inch or something? Or does his number signify the number of guards we have on the team?
  2. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Only 8 guards??? So few????
  3. G-man

G-man Starter

the 'expert' grading system

get a kick out of some of the draft grades handed out by the 'expert' writers. most thought knight was a top 5 talent but somehow after he ends up in detroit it's just a mediocre or less than draft by dumars. makes no sense, if they thought he was a top five guy, it goes to reason that dumars had in the very least a top five draft night himself.

instead the experts find a way to weasel the remaining 2nd round picks in to justify their rationale. i don't how you can use anything beyond the first round to grade a teams draft. so few impact players come out of the 2nd round that using them to grade an overall draft night takes the conversation well beyond subjective territory.

2nd rounders that are really successful in the NBA are generally about a GM having a little luck as much as anything else. that and the fact that the player ended up in the right system for his skill set. things that really don't prove-out in most cases until a guys in his 2nd contract which also means he's probably playing for his second coach and 2nd system.

unless the experts are using trade proven crystal balls they ought to leave their 2nd round mental gymnastics on the cutting room floor and grade solely on the 1st round picks.
  4. SonicD 43

SonicD 43 First Round Draft Pick

Re: the 'expert' grading system

I agree that overall it was a good night, but not a great one. If it was a great one we would of lost a few pieces of dead weight off of the roster. Now I understand that is easier said than done, but for me that is what it would of taken to get him an A+ on his draft grade. I wouldn't of even cared if we had to deal our pick to do so. Getting rid of the malcontents should of been his top priority. Besides giving a guy an A on his draft day means he was crafty and smart about his draft all Joe did was let Knight fall into his lap.
  5. max

max All-Star

I never got how they can rate the draft as if they know more than the GM's. if they did then why aren't they making 7 figure salaries. But no one ever compares the sports writers predictions a year later like they do the actual picks.
  6. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

7. G-man

G-man Starter

absolutely. it's all hocus pocus from lathered up nobodies at the end of the day. they make assumptions based on nothingness. how do you really grade a player that only played one or two years college b-ball? you can't. it's all potential at that point. give a guy three or four years in a consistent system and then you can draw some fair conclusions.

after reading "ball don't lies" pile of steaming dung i stopped looking at reviews at all. they're entitled to their opinions, i give them that. but there's just as much more b-ball sense in here, in these threads as there is riding the "professional team analysis circuit".

hey sonic. if you're going to grade dumars based on trades not made on draft nite you have to grade all gm's the same way. 95% of the gm's traded no one, does that work against them too?
  8. SonicD 43

G man you are absolutely right about everything the draft is a crap shoot and extremely hard to judge. but I really don't care about other teams I care about this one. I am probably wrong and there is now way to tell. I personally think Joe did good he gets a B from me. To get an A from me he needed to lose some dead weight. I can in no way say what he should of done cause I have no idea what was available if anything but losing rip stuck bingo or cb would of been awesome.

If I am just judging the draft maybe he gets an A (even though knight just fell into his lap) but for the whole night a B is the best I can do. Long story short he did good but I wanted more.
  9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's true that Knight fell to the Pistons, but thank god Dumars wasn't stupid enough to let him keep falling by. Singler was projected late 1st round in most mock drafts. I can't see him ever being more than an NBA role player, but it seems like a solid pick to me. If Macklin turns out to be anything more than a good practice player, it's a bonus.
  10. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I remember almost falling off of my couch when Knight was selected. I never thought he'd fall to us so I never really did any research on the kid. I got a good laugh out of the fact that the very FIRST thing that Jay Billas said was "Knight is more of a combo guard than a true point."

I'm pleased with the pick and the fact that Joe had the courage to take the concensious "BPA" rather than settling for the 7th best Big man.
  11. G-man

G-man Starter

clarity

clarification- i wasn't referring to our resident "ball don't lie" in the forum. (he's a wise & sensible fellow;).

i was referring to the b-ball blog site 'ball don't lie'.
  12. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Very impressed by this saying. But most of the guys won't get such a fair treat.
  13. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Does this apply to coaches?
  14. Walter

15. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Do you have realistic background for your wishes? E.g. how to trade an aging SG with huge contract before lockout? It is impossible. Heck, we even do not know whether teams can make contracts with draftees under current CBA ( it expires by jun 30) or not.
  16. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Re: clarity

I knew what you we're saying regarding the Yahoo blog. For the record, I had my PF handle before those guys ever even entered the blogosphere.

Perhaps they should change the name of their blog to "Steaming Pile of Dung".
  17. SonicD 43

Again as I mentioned before I have no idea what was available if anything. Joe had an over all good night hence the B. I wanted great not that it could of happened its just what i wanted. Great would of been losing rip stuck Ben or cv. Not sure why there is so much displeasure in me wanting more, its not like Joe hasn't made a mistake or two. Like I said Joe did good but he has done a lot of bone headed things in the past and I was hoping he would be able to figure out how to make up for some of them. I recognize this would of been extremely hard but I still wanted something.
  18. SonicD 43

I wish I could post a link from my phone but it is to much of a pain in the rear. Anyways you guys should go look up our 2003 draft grade. Pretty much proves that draft grades are worthless.
  19. Walter

Re: clarity

Or Dung Don't Lie.
  20. Walter