1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

The Pistons Wont Win

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by himat, May 24, 2006.

1. himat

himat Bench Warmer

...Unless Sheed gets in the post. It doesn't help that when your hurt that you tend to stay outside more, and it also doesn't help that Sheed is in love with 3's. The Pistons it seems like either shooot 30% from the field or 50% at the line. We need points and when the jumpshot isn't falling you need to go somwhere else. Go to Sheed in the post.

2. SKluck

SKluck First Round Draft Pick

Well you know that ain't happening.

3. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Sheed seems to be uncoachable. He does whatever he wants to do. Soemdays he goes in the post and takes care of business and other days he stays on perimeter. Not acceptable considering he should be our main low post threat.

4. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Rasheed Wallace posts up a great deal, especially in a broken field. Even when he establishes good position and seals his man, he rarely sees the ball. The two main culprits for the limited way he's used by the team are Billups and Flip Saunders.

Chauncey Billups is virtually incapable of making a contested post entry feed, and is nearly useless in transition. Furthermore, the team's spacing has been terrible for inside-out play (all year, but especially since the offense came unglued in the Cleveland series), which means the team can't quickly swing the ball to get better angles.

And I find it exceptionally hard to believe that Sheed would not execute a play that was called. I see two reasons why Flip uses him on the perimeter:

1) Flip doesn't believe in postups. Furthermore, Sheed's jumpshooting unclogs the lane for the cutters that theoretically would be getting high-percentage shots in the flex offense.
    2) Rasheed is the best post-entry passer (and maybe the best passer, period) in the starting lineup, which makes him more useful playing the perimeter when the offense degenerates into an isolation play for Chauncey or Tayshaun (i.e., 85% of the time over the past few weeks).

Also keep in mind that he's injured. So, basically, don't get your hopes up.

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I gotta agree with AHB. I don't see Sheed intentionally breaking plays.

I also don't think he is uncoachable. LB coached him just fine.

Until the entire Blazers situation became a cesspool, he responded well to Mike Dunleavy.

I think he played terrible last game. But he does have the ankle excuse. You can't really call him out like how Laimbeer called out Tripucka for missing 27 games with a twisted ankle, because Sheed proved in 2004 that he would play with pain.

6. anakin

Micro, I see Rasheed score 6 pts with the same consistency as 20 pts. For the kinda of $$ he is making he is by no stretch of the imagination a consistent player, injury or not. The fan base let's it go as "Rasheed being Rasheed". If he were functioning as low-post threat on a game by game basis we would have at one main scorer whose game will almost always be ON. He is as talented as they come but this team needs him to be a leader.

7. roscoe36

Yeah, but you still haven't addressed the fact that he is probably not playing the role of team killer, refusing to follow plays.

CB calls most of the plays. If you want to get on anyone, maybe it should be the PG who couldn't feed the post if the fate of the world depended on it.
    They need Billups and Ben to be leaders.

8. anakin

I didn't say he was a team killer, I said I think he does what he wants judging from where he is shooting the ball in different games. I place a good amount of blame on Flip not defining his and his team mates role clearly. Not picking on Sheed. He is our most talented player and has the most swagger. The team needs him to pull them out of this funk, they win whenever he scores 20+.

Don't get me started on CB. I don't know where his head is. LB's greatest strength was in defining everybody role and designing plays around them. LB had a consistent bench rotation too. Flip has no bench rotation to speak of.

9. roscoe36

His shot selection really hasn't changed all year.

Can you imagine what the offense would look like if one guy was totally freelancing?

AHB's synopsis of the role Sheed plays in the offense is dead right.

Btw, 2 point post plays are not better than 3 point TREY BOMBS.

He's shooting 46.4% from beyond the arc compared to 45.1% inside.

Simple math!

10. max

max All-Star

Sheed? I am surprised nobody brought up his ankle. I heard earlier this week that if this were the reg season he would have most likely missed a couple of weeks. His mobility is hampered but still he was able to save us in game 7.

Have to keep hoping Kander can keep him in game shape and that no player ( i.e. Posey or Mourning ) "accidently" steps on it.

11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Mustof missed Sheed tweeking his ankle again... last I remember he was feeling just fine before game 7 against the Cavs... he looked mobile and had a solid game...
    and now his ankle is a problem again?

12. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

I remember seeing a quick shot of him going to the bench (maybe sometime in the second half?) and looking like he was in a lot of pain while someone worked on his ankle. :ohwell:

13. anakin

The offense will look like the past 6 games :) I love when he drops the trey bomb but at this point the team needs him, Dice and Tay to manufacture points down low. Of the three Sheed almost always has the mismatch in his favor, usually by a long shot. I would like to see him get things in gear for this team.

Take a look at this article: http://www.mlive.com/pistons/stories/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1148551819239540.xml&coll=1

14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Re: The Pistons Wont Win/ Unless we feed BBen

I think we saw tonite that it is BBen that needs help on O. And must be envolved.
    All of our other starters can create/produce on O. But BBen is the weak link that needs structuring. We saw how the team pulled away from the Heat in game 2 with a complete 5 man ball rotation. No one can touch us when BBen is happy.
    He might blow it a few times but that just makes him hungier to get it together.
    If BBen is the MVP of this series it means his O was nurtured and Shaq was neutralized.
    The Shaq monster is his/our biggest mismatch let's not let that be our undoing!