The race for the most ping pong balls

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, Jan 19, 2012.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Some meaningful games....

Today:
    Cavs (20 wins) host Knicks
    Kings (20 wins) host Thunder
    Warriors (22 wins) at Mavs

Tomorrow:
    Warriors (22 wins) at Rockets
    Nets (22 wins) at Bucks

Sunday:
    Raptors (22 wins) at Pistons (23 wins).....someone has to win
    Kings (20 wins) at Bobcats
    Warriors (22 wins) at Twolves
    Cavs (20 wins) at Spurs
    Hornets (20 wins) at Clippers

Monday:
    Pistons (23 wins) at Pacers
    Nets (22 wins) host Sixers
    Raptors (22 wins) at Bucks
    Cavs (20 wins) at Grizzlies
  2. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think the Cavs, Kings and Hornets are out of reach.

We are now battling with the Raps, Nyets and Warriors.
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Cavs won tonight to close the wins gap to two.
  4. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Saw that, but next two games @Spurs and @Grizzlies doesn't help.
  5. max

max All-Star

Golden State really Tees me off - 7 straight losses.

Game against Toronto will be huge but I am sure the Pistons will win. Someone like Bynum or Daye will step up with a huge game.
  6. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

it seems that this team is not even good at tanking. Or maybe the players fear competition coming out of the draft. I don't know; I only know that chances that a #9 pick can take this team to the next level is as slim as Scalabrine's starting or even playing in the NBA finals. It s really annoying to see this team seemingly deliberately aiming at mediocracy for years to come.
  7. max

max All-Star

There has been this noble cause attitude in which anyone who suggested anything else besides winning at all costs was lambasted and called not a true fan.

I agreed with them to some point as I thought half-way through the season was a little too early to be thinking about the draft. what fun is that?

But the minute they were out of the playoffs then what's the point? But the noble cause continues. I am not saying throw the games but with how much is at stake in losing an extra game at this point - I mean c'mon! You know how to lose right? Make up an injury for Moose or Stuckey. Play Daye at SG all game under the guise of giving him experience. Tell Bynum to do his thing and try and take over the game. Lots of ways to lose without throwing the game.
  8. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

Unless we get really lucky in the draft, we'll make no off-season improvements.........
    I would be shocked if JD pulled off a dramatic move.
  9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think the Pistons main problem with "tanking" is that they don't have any young players on their bench.

The Pistons have 2 young guys and they start. They have 155 years of NBA experience on the L's most expensive bench.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Another problem with tanking is that Joe throws coaches away like used tissues. If you're the coach of the Pistons, you are going to win every single game that you can.
  11. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

Doing things for the purpose of losing cheapens the sport.

If you are cool with this, then I don't even know what to say. If the team is too crap to win, I understand. But if they have the capacity to play well, they should be bringing it every night.
  12. max

max All-Star

How is it any different than teams who clinch a playoff spot? Remember those days with Sheed, Tay , and Ben in street clothes for the last few games of the season? While they played bench guys. No one is saying don't give it 100% as players have to do that. Its not fair to them to ask them not to. Its also not fair to let them rot on the bench so we can go out and win meaningless games and pretend that draft order does not matter.
  13. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

GS at least won their game today; they're at 23 wins now. Kings are at 21, I believe tied with the Cavs.
  14. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Then what about Charlotte? What about all the teams that gut their roster to start over? Every team has the same capacity to field a competative team every season....but they don't. Charlotte is god awful by design. Golden state...ditto after the trade. Trading a franchise player for a guy that won't play...how does that help you win? It doesn't but the Ellis - Bogut trade was made for a long term improvement. You want to lose your fan base? Keep getting bounced in the first round.
  15. Slippy

It may be a blessing in disguise to draft 10 (or draft 1 or 2 against the odds!). People may nitpick some prospects but it looks as if there are clear drop off points in talent. We are drafting in the 4th or 5th tier depending on how you see it. I think there will be some surprises in this draft. Its a matter of picking them. Jared Sullinger has Pistons written all over him. The lack of shot blocking is a big concern but like Monroe, he may be underrated because of the below the rim style. At 10th, thats a good risk/return. Meyers Leonard is intruiging with height and hops and not too much of a reach. It would be interesting to see Kander work with either guy. Perry Jones has red flags all over the place but its not like we'd be blowing the 6th pick in the draft or anything.
  16. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

to me, you sound veeeeeeeeeeeery eager to find the good in the bad
  17. Slippy

whaaaat? at least i'm not holding on to a 1% chance to get Davis. :p

The only thing I'm disappointed in is the smaller chance at the top 2 picks.
  18. max

max All-Star

Still have a chance at tying GS for #8 as they are playing the Hornets tomorrow but I would not count out CV or BG getting hot and us winning one more game. Those guys sole mission in life seems to be burning the Pistons.
  19. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

GSW? That's your example? They were never going to be competitive this year. They bounced their least efficient scorer for a lockdown defender at centre. Bogut isn't healthy at the moment, but he is hardly the next Yao Ming. That guy adds so much to that team it's not even funny. Both teams benefited from that trade, although I would have traded Curry over Ellis.

Charlotte? Again, this is just a terrible team. Winning lottery this year isn't going to change that fact. They have a single player over 15 PER, most of the other players would barely crack benchwarmer minutes. They got rid of the locker room cancer and will be going big on a rebuild around Kemba, Biyombo (Scrubinator) and whoever they pick in the draft. The FA class isn't amazing this year, but I can defintely seeing them dip their fingers in it.

And if you look at the other teams that have gutted their roster, do you honestly think this is just for the draft? Not a chance. They want cap space. Why? Because it is far more likely that you will add a better player through Free Agency. And lets just check out the history of our team in the lottery. Our two most effective players bar Stuckey were acquired through late and non-lottery picks. Would we have a player with a 23PER if we had picked 4 instead of 8?

Earlier I said that I would rather us win games now than tank for the purpose of just a few lottery spots. Going from 15 to 3 is a different matter. The reason is simple - winning breeds winning. Losing teams continue to languish in the L column, regardless of their draft picks. If the only teams on your lips are the Spurs and OKC to counteract this point, think again. That is two teams from the 30 lottery picks in the last decade. Look at our lottery pick - chump. How about Hasheem Thabeet? Chump. Kwame? Oden? How have all of these paid off? The only reason we aren't in the playoffs is because of a pathetic start to the season. If we end off this season winning, we look more dangerous for playoff contention. And I, for one, would like to see what damage we can do again.
  20. max

max All-Star

Whoever Charlotte drafts is going to be looking to sign else where when his rookie contract is up.

This is a very strong draft. 2 more losses and we could have been picking 4 or 5 with a real chance at a top 3. Were 2 extra wins worth it? Did the 2 extra wins change the current teams culture? Matter of opinion.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.