The race for the most ping pong balls

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, Jan 19, 2012.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This happen two years ago when we won a meaningless game that we were behind by 15 in the 4th and came back to win. It yielded Moose instead of Demarcus Cousins or Ekpe Udoh and we all seem to be happy with his 30 double-doubles this year. So it may not be a top three pick but so far getting a 7 and an 8th pick the last two years have provided building to blocks.

Looks like it is a 9th pick this year and we probably have no chance at Davis, Gilchrist, Barnes, Robinson or Drummond unless the ping pong balls bounce funny and we move up into the top three. With that being said, do we look at the 7 ft TarHeel Tyler Zeller or the 6'9 Jared Sullinger if one or both are on the board? Or 6'11 Perry Jones from Baylor?
  2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I'm kinda liking Leonard. I really like the shot blocking.
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Dumars has lost his touch, vision, etc. It will be interesting to see how much rope Gores is willing to give him.
  4. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Gores influenced his decision about picking a coach. Maybe he'll also dictate other things like the draft. personally, I think Gores has somebody who he consults.......besides JD.
  5. BillLaimbeer

Maybe Gores is anti-tanking....perhaps tanking gives your organization bad kharma (look at the Cavs)...perhaps this is a research project....
  6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

my point was that it is common for front office decision makers to take a step backwards for long term gain and that fans root for their teams along those lines. ... Not that we should throw the season away for a high pick.
  7. max

max All-Star

Yes that was a strange case of Karma - good point.

Last 2 drafts he has done well in. Of course they were kind of no -brainer picks as both Monroe and Knight were supposed to go higher.

Once you are out of the playoffs its open season as far as I am concerned. Not that the players you play are not supposed to give it 100% but you don't always have to play your best lineup. In our case. playing Macklin may have lost us a couple extra games but we also would known if we have a nice backup 4/5 for next year.

[/quote]
    linwood likes this.
  8. Nemo

Agreed. JD ran into some luck as the last two picks were easy to make. Playing Macklin more would have answered some questions.

JD needs another good draft...no matter the position we're picking.
  9. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I don't necessarily believe that Joe's last two 1st rounders were easy to make at all. When other teams start passing up guys, you can just as easily 2nd guess yourself and pass right over them too. When Monroe was drafted, he wasn't the absolute concensous pick. There were a lot of dudes who were rated about the same as Greg and Joe made the right pick. Last year, Joe deviated from his plan to pick a big man and selected yet another guard that he happened to feel was the best player available.

Joe has done a lot to screw up this roster over the past 4 years but I gotta give him credit for how he's drafted. Selecting Greg Monroe and Brandon Knight seem like no-brainers now but it can be argued that they were bold moves on their respective draft nights.
  10. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Agree w/ BDL. Last year it would've been tempting to pass up on Knight and go for Leonard, or one of the Morris brothers or DM 2.0, or even Vucevic.

And the year before, Cole Aldrich and Ed Davis were other candidates.

Joe did well. He didn't do many things well lately, but draft he did well.
  11. BillLaimbeer

I agree that Monroe and Knight were great draft picks.

They weren't great moves or decisions made on draft night, though. If you are picking 9th, you enter the night with your top choices rated #1 through #9. When it's your turn, you pick whomever is left highest on your list. The homework and decisions are done WAY BEFORE draft night.
  12. Nemo

That's the way I see it Bill......a no brainer......
  13. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

So the night of the draft it was a no brainer.... but who did all the homework and decision making "way before draft night". Folks really are so tired of Joe and want him to be the reason for every fault with the team you guys won't give him credit when he does make good moves. He could have gone different directions in both drafts but picked players that most of us now think were keepers and parts of our next team to make playoff runs.

If Monroe and Knight were rated higher then our slot when we took them.... then other GM's must have had them rated alot lower then us... doesn't that mean Joe did better prep work then those GM's? Just don't get it......
  14. BallDon'tLie

I hold Joe Dumars in high regard as one of my favorite all-time Pistons.
    I also blame him for the current state of the team and the complete lack of direction. It was HIS decisions that got us into this current mess regarding the salary stucture and lack of ability to improve the team.
    ...BUT I give him all the credit in the world for drafting well and have complete confidence that he'll do the same in a couple months.
  15. BillLaimbeer

I agree that Dumars and company did excellent work in the last 2 drafts. The mess that is the current Pistons has been created by Dumars bad signings (CV, Gordon, Prince, etc.) and lack of trades.

The lack of stealth tanking (insert Macklin, Daye, etc.) over the last month has put the Pistons into draft position #9 where they could easily be at the #4 spot right now. Maybe we'll get lucky and catapult into the top 3. Who knows?
  16. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

and this is upsetting me the most. It shows that this team doesn't even know how to tank. Everyone knew that there was no chance of making it to the playoffs a long time ago. And this team desperately needs a great player from the draft - and these are usually not available at #9... :-( I am so tired of watching yet another 3 baaaad seasons without any perspective but it seems like this is the faith of a Pistons fan these days.
  17. BallDon'tLie

Karma is on our side!
    I have a hunch that we'll be rewarded by the basketball gods for not tanking.

By basketball gods, I envision a higher plane of existence where the likes of John Wooden, Red Auerbach, Chuck Daily, Meadowlark Lemon and others hold court in a sterile-white sports bar with TV monitors tuned to every game.

...Aurebach is smoking a cigar.
    Walter likes this.
  18. max

max All-Star

All the mock drafts had them going around 4-6
  19. Nemo

Back when BillLaimbeer started this thread......the Pistons were in this to win it. A 4-20 start destined us for a top 4 pick, but the team jelled for a couple of months and we've dropped out of the race. I look for us to pick 10th when all is said and done. Joe has got to find a diamond this time........
  20. max

max All-Star

Goldenstate lost to the Hornets at home. That's just not right.