1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

The race for the most ping pong balls

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, Jan 19, 2012.

1. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I see what you are saying, but if you are a fringe playoff team you should be beating the worst teams in the league anyway. Most teams get to play each other roughly the same amount of times (East vs West definitely) so it's not too unfair. It's just more in focus at the end of the season.

I can't feel too much sympathy for the fans in this situation if they still choose to punish themselves by going to the games. I just can't believe people would be turning up at that point in the season still hoping to see a win and then feel aggrieved if they don't (whether by tanking means or not).

2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

By tanking, you mean win the championship? How quickly one forgets the 2011 Fantasy Baseball Champion.....

3. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

The discussion about tanking for me is mostly humorous. I really like the fact that Webz created an avatar that depicts Tay driving the tank with JD giving instructions. It give me a reason to laugh in the face of disaster. It's like wearing a bag over your head when your football team continues to lose. You have the choice of staying home or protesting in a humorous way (for me, anyways) the severity of your teams needs. As a fan who has no say in the future of this franchise, I do enjoy the jokes about the team's weaknessess. I certainly praised JD when things were going good, and will critize him when things continue to suck. If my team tells me they are playing all the new players to try them out, I will believe them. I also will continue to joke about tanking. If JD were to state that he is playing new players for the purpose of getting a higher lotter pick........I would openly critize the move, but possibly cheer it in the privacy of my office.

Personally.......I would never tank in a fantasy sport just because I don't believe in it..........

4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

OK. You won't believe this but a moment of horror just struck me.

When I just read your post, I remembered taking FIRST PLACE :first: in the regular season by a VERY LARGE margin and winning matches for a couple months straight most by VERY LARGE margins but losing in the first round of the playoffs. :crying: I was thinking that I could point that out as perhaps being YOUR definition of tanking. :toilet:

But at that moment, I erroneously remembered congratulating Junior for winning the championship. :clap2: (My short term memory is shot). :doh: So I ran back to the fantasy thread to make sure of this and planned to promptly apologize to you (before I forgot) for my congratulating him by mistake. I was STUNNED but greatly relieved to see that I had correctly congratulated you for winning. (ju ior was the Laimbeer that knocked me out of the fantasy Super Bowl match).

So I rethought it, and remembered my baseball team having a very crappy couple of weeks in the playoffs (my timing sucks)and my opponent having an incredibly good week, I think hitting more home runs by Tuesday then he usually got in an entire week to knock me out in the first round.

So YES, I had indeed forgotten who won the fantasy baseball championship. I do remember taking 2nd place in basketball and you also knocking me out in that.

Darth in the regular season

Basketball- 2nd place by a very comfortable margin. No medal. Knocked out by Bill Laimbeer in 1st round. :deathstar1:

Baseball- 1st place (bye) by a huge margin. No medal. Knocked out by Bill laimbeer in 1st round. :deathstar1:

Football-5th place- Silver medal. Knocked out by Junior Laimbeer in Championship game. :second:

So...if you MUST rub it in, I've been knocked out by one Laimbeer or another in every sport I played. :sweep::sweeping:

Choking, Good Luck, Bad Luck, Superior opponent's play, good management, bad management, karma...you name it. All of the above, I think. EXCEPT there was no Tanking

But I DO remember it all now. But even as I was typing I was mixing it all up and in ten minutes I'll forget most of what I typed, and in 30 minutes I likely will forget I even typed this post! :dizzy:

So "how quickly one forgets" certainly is an accurate statement. But there was no Tanking!! :toilet::roflmao:

I HATE tanking in real life and fantasy sports and would never ever ever do it!!! :victory::nerner::ner-ner:

Have a nice day.

:hoops:

:focus: :focus::focus::focus::focus: :rockon: :MusicBigGrin::victory::becky:

5. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I can't say that this is a great example. Unlike Basketball, F1 routinely undergoes rule/regulation changes which have huge impact on the races. Also, given that the teams that are winning at the moment (McLaren, Red Bull etc), are extremely well funded teams, this becomes a moot point extremely quickly. Rarely will a low end development or private team have the funds to implement a title contending new regulation part.

Lets take a quick example. KERS (Kenetic Energy Regeneration System for those who don't know - it recyles energy lost during breaking to charge energy cells which can be then used for small spurts of additional power). In the first year where it was allowed, only 4 teams ran it from memory, and I bet you can guess which ones they were. Obviously there were some teething problems and it wasn't hugely successful. The lower end teams had to pay royalties to lease/copy/borrow the technology from the larger teams. It never gave them a leg up.

The NBA is different. Basketball is different. Players can find their footing, coaches can work out how to make plays. Dumars could do a blockbuster trade. Do I think a high draft pick is important for this team? Yes, of course I do. Would I tank games in order to solidify my chances? No. Basketball is primarily entertainment. In order to be successful you need to keep your fans happy, and .180 season is about as appealing to me as a fan as watching Kwame brick 20 footers for 3 hours. It's been said a millions times, but as a fan of the sport before the team, I cannot support a team which tanks.

Anyway, hi. My names Cam and I'm from Sydney, Australia. Starting watching the Pistons in '03. Best friend is a Suns fan (LOL), so we had a great rivalry going for a bit =) I couldn't find an introductions area so I figured I would just get right into it!

linwood likes this.
  6. webz

Hey Cam,

I think Bernie Ecclestone would argue the entertainment point about F1. :rolleyes:

Regardless of which teams can/can't afford to develop parts, etc, the point was that some teams 'give up' on the current season at some point, as do basketball teams, and begin focussing on next season.

Welcome, check out the Green room for the Introduction area.
    http://pistonsforum.com/threads/introduce-yourself-welcome-to-pf-com.199/

7. The Panda

Pretty sure Bernie would argue a lot of things. But how many people do you know that support Spyker?

I have no doubt that teams 'give up'. For instance, I have given up on hoping for the Pistons to sit atop the Conference. But I still expect them to go out there and play the game of Basketball!!

8. webz

Ex-Jordan team fans?? :sssh:

I guess that's where fans opinions can differentiate. Some accept the losing if it means we are better positioned for the future while others will never accept losing no matter what. I respect both opinions.

9. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

I agree with the first paragraph - they bring updates to nearly every race (mostly the big 4) and the worst brought 2/3 the whole year. Though of the 4 best teams, 2 announced stoppage of upgrades as early as September iirc, and both (Ferrari/Mercedes) fared worse the following year. In contrast, McLaren (constructor's runner up) and RBR (back to back champs) finished top 2 last year after continuing development throughout 2010, so it's not necessarily true. Both teams also combined to win 99% of the races last year.

Darth - no, I don't think so. The biggest team in that series (Ferrari) has done this the last 3 years at least, and they're still very well regarded and the fans don't mind so long as they're competitive the following year (though it's Ferrari, their Celtics/Lakers, so). It doesn't affect anyone else, though the best, biggest teams are capable of developing/conceptualizing their cars concurrently anyway. Tanking sucks in any sport.

10. The Panda

I'm somewhere in the middle of those two. I obviously love to win, and don't like losing.

But I am happy to accept losing if great character is displayed and effort is given, right to the end. The loss to the Heat, my friends couldn't believe that I was smiling about it. But the team played ball the whole game, and yeh silly mistakes cost us, but so what? We played legit basketball with the red hot favourite for the title. I can't play that down.

Back to thread topic, my current estimates give us roughly 15-17 games this season. Play like we did against the Heat, and that will probably go up to 20-22. .33 wouldn't be a bad start and we could easily trade a vet for a higher pick.

11. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

True, true. The NBA has scrub teams who tank every year, F1 has back markers (they're scary, ask Mark Webber circa Valencia 2010). But the NBA also has the draft to mine for Superstars, whereas in F1, the best engineers typically flock to the best teams. Unless you have Austrian funding.

And welcome to the forum.

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Buying out Rip was a form of tanking. It's about maximizing revenue for the franchise- and stealth tanking is a valid strategy.

Tanking in tennis is also a valid strategy and it is also done with a little finesse. When you're down big in a set, you don't spend all of your energy trying to catch up, you just let the set go. But, you don't make it 100% obvious or the fans get upset. You still go through the motions, just not as hard.

13. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I don't think we tanked the past 2 years. We were just plain horrible. Joe D handcrafted an unbalanced team with huge egos and handed it over to a rookie coach who was not up to the task.

This year we have had most of our talent on the bench or in street clothes. Whether that talent translates to wins or not is debatable. Still, the amount of money not on the court is staggering.

BallDon'tLie likes this.
  14. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Regarding your first paragraph - It didn't have to be that way.
    Regarding you second paragraph - Please refer to paragraph one.

15. Darth Tater

I meant there are people who buy their tickets at the beginning of the season. When their IS hope. Nothing wrong with that. Especially if you are coming in from out of town to see the game. You may buy tickets for a March game months earlier before the season starts. You buy tickets with the expectation that both teams will compete.

I am always glad to see my team lose AFTER they lose if it helps them get a better pick. However, I always root for them DURING the game and hope they win when they play the game. But I'm glad afterward that they lost. Does that make any sense?

I always expect them to put in a full effort. If they are going to lose on purpose why keep up the charade? Don't even play the game. Just forfeit it and let the team give us back our money. The Harlem globetrotters are less expensive and much more interesting to watch than watching a team other than the Generals tank...

What is the difference between referees on the take and players on the tank? Both are cheating.

16. BillLaimbeer

The players can never tank. When you're on the floor, you have to give 100% effort in trying to win the game.

It's the coaches and GMs that have the ability to stealth tank (I like that phrase) by dressing certain players, using creative lineups and rotations, etc.

Having Vernon Macklin playing 20 minutes per game right now would not be considered tanking. You're just giving the rookie a chance to show what he can do. Perhaps Maxiel or Wallace give you a better chance to win right now. Who knows? Who cares?

17. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

The lottery should be organized in a way that rewards success. For example:

1- Each team gets one ball regardless of how they rank.
    2- Each team that makes the playoffs gets two extra balls.
    3- In the 1st round of playoffs only, if a lower-seeded team moves to the next round they get two more balls.
    4- The 14 non-playoff teams get seeded according to their regular season records in a march-madness style knockout tournament bracket for more lottery balls.
    5- The top two seeded non-playoff teams get two extra balls and they will automatically advance to the second round.
    6- In the lottery tournament, every win gets you two extra lottery balls.
    7- If you're over the salary cap, you lose 2 lottery balls.

In this system:
    • The top 8 seeded teams in the playoffs each get 3 lottery balls. (1 if they are over the cap)
    • The remaining 8 teams in the playoffs each get 3-5 lottery balls. (1-3 if they are over the cap)
    • The top two non-playoff teams each get 3-9 lottery balls, based on how they do in the lottery tourney. (1-7 if they're over the cap)
    • The remaining non-playoff teams each get 1-9 lottery balls, based on how they do in the lottery tourney. (0-7 if they're over the cap)
    The thing I like about this is the players in the sucky teams also get some sort of tournament experience. Good play is rewarded. This is also something that can last a week and give the playoff teams time to recoup and get ready for the playoffs. More games/revenue for the NBA. Best of all, it is my idea. :-)

18. BillLaimbeer

I'm sure the networks and the sponsors would go into bidding wars for rights to the "Sucky Teams Tournament".

19. Darth Tater

True...but false.:lecturer:

BillLaimbeer likes this.
  20. Darth Tater

They might. I always enjoy watching the suspense unfold as Rascoe and Jammer duke it out :boxing::canada: for 9th place in the fantasy consolation bracket. Don't you?