1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

The real reason we traded Darko and Arroyo

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by 16 Mile, Aug 10, 2006.

1. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

aurorakmw, I don't really know the truth about the fans. I got that impression from the way people post on the Pistons forums. I got the steady impression that there were only a couple of us defending Darko and trying to lobby to get him playing time, and kept the faith. I had the steady impression that the majority of the posters enjoyed putting him down, calling him a failure, and especially calling us Darko HOF Club members (their description, not ours) to task for our 'blind' faith in him.
    It would have cost the Pistons only 5 or 7 minutes a game to shut us up forever.

Those are really the only places where I picked up that feeling and what I was basing my opinion on.

Possibly this opinion is not completely correct, but it is what I believe.

2. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

Darko did engineer the trade through his agent- Joe said that much. Darko wanted out, so Joe moved him.

Darko may turn out to be a good player, but he didn't want to be OUR good player.

3. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

OK, Lazyberbs, I thought you were talking about the fans in a more general way. I didn't join this forum until after the Darko trade. Darko has certainly gotten alot of press time on this forum. In journalism school we counted line by line to see what the biggest stories of the year were. I think if we did that on this forum the most lines have probably been written about Darko, eh? Anyway, I'm talking about all the fans, the fans in the Palace, the fans who read the newspaper, who listen on the radio,the mainstream Detroit Pistons fans, I don't think they thought Darko was a failure. I think they were mostly neutral, due to not seeing him play.

4. max

max All-Star

That pretty much describes me. I never liked that pick. I warmed up to him a bit in year 2 but his lack of enthusiasm in the few mins that he did get kind of turned me off.

5. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

I'm sorry, Robert Michael, I was trying to be ironic or tongue in cheek or something. I should have put a laughing smilie or something to indicate that I wasn't serious about that trade being a good one.

Let's try again. :nod:
    Of course we must do better than that trade. We need to sign and trade Chauncey for a pure point guard and a post player. If we keep him and spend the big bucks, we are destined for perimeter jumpshooting mediocrity for a long time. He is the biggest factor in our lack of points in the paint IMO. Not worth the big money if it hurts our efforts to grow and build around Rip and Tay.

6. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

So you're saying you think most Pistons fans were rooting for the franchise's best prospect since Grant Hill to fail? They would rather have seen Darko bust than give the Pistons the league's next great big man? Some fans...

7. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

They weren't rooting for him to fail they were just mightily displeased with the result of the draft. You basically had two sides: the pick was bad or the handling of the pick was bad. Nobody really had anything good to say about it...except that we won the championship :P

8. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

aurorakmw-- Good to know you were joking. You totally had me there. We agree on flip for sure. His jumpshot offense is a playoff failure. I was blinded to the fact by all our regular season wins, but reality hit me like a ton of bricks when we almost lost to Cleveland and got rolled by Miami.

I never liked the Darko pick either. But I wanted him to succeed. I was turned off by his attitude, WEAK play, and the incessent harping about his playing time from the DHOF on Detnews. Lee was the worst. I rememember Lazy having more of a play him and let's see what we got kind of vibe. Lee was ready to build the guy a statue and bow down and worship before he ever played a game.

Side note. I did catch a Pistons Laker game in Darko's rookie year and I was on the floor, so I went way early. Darko hit about 25-30 threes in a row. I kid not. I was totally pumped. Until the next time he played.

9. hack

I loved the pick, though it did fill me with a sense of dread, esp. when we decided to give him, of all things, Sam Bowie's number. I thot he was gonna be a player until summer league highlights last year. The contrast between him and Maxiell was remarkable. Max was blocking shots and dunking hard. Darko's highlight reel included shooting 3s and taking charges. That said it all.

10. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Isiah probably phoned Joe giving him hints about good trades. Joe simply blew it and I'm still mad about it.

11. max

max All-Star

I don't believe Isiah has ever made a move to lighten salary. His deal with Orlando to take on Francis for Hardaways expiring contract is what made our deal possible.

12. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i don't agree on flip. i think flip's hands were tied somewhat with having to try to keep ben happy. cleveland figured out that not checking ben and fouling him if he was close to the basket would grind our offense to an halt. tay's and sheeds post ups will be nullified by ben's zone playing/ double teaming man. rips curls would be nullified by ben's zone playing man. with an offensive threat center our offense would have been much better.

we needed a center at the time when we picked darko. we had tay and rip so there was no need for melo or wade. darko was a great pick it was our use of the pick that stunk. his attitude turned bad after the way he was treated. his attitude is great in orlando and on the serbia team because the team is treating him right. they aren't trying to prove points to him cause he's a young player. they see he is good and they are treating him accordingly. just think if the dhof had gotten thier wish we would be 3 time nba champions right now. no tay checking duncan in game 7. no miami/cleveland center playing zone. no hack a ben.

lee did predict we wouldn't win the ship without darko. lee saw and continues to see his great potential. that is one of lee's strong points he identifies potential well. darko does have craploads of potential.

i've watched darko in pregame also and the guy can flat out shoot it. the problem is we didn't put him on the court enough and allow him to do that. when lb did put him on the court he stuffed the square peg into the round hole and made darko post player only. darko was mishandled right from the start. how is it that 2 serbian coaches and b. hill can get production out of him and hall of fame lb and flip couldn't??

anyway this trade was about darko not being happy in detroit. joe wanted make one more run at the championship so that's why ben got the nod over darko. darko is better than nazr and will be better than ben in 2 years.

13. max

max All-Star

Are you guys still going to stick around in the future if Darko does not make it?

14. hack

There's already been quotes out of Orlando about Darko's inconsistent effort.

15. Hobbs

Hobbs First Round Draft Pick

Sure there have. They were hidden in the reports where they were gushing over how great he was.

Don't ignore the haystack because you found a needle.

16. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Great line hobbs. I never really found any real bad comments regarding darko by orlando fans. If anything it was comments on his inconsistent play (foul trouble) but DArko was inconsistent which is to be expected as he learns the NBA and the Orlando system.

17. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

You all know how much of a Darko fan I am but if any of you pay any attention to my posts, you will remember that I was talking a fair amount about how he stood around at times and wondered if it was because he did not know the system yet or was not involved in the play that was called and just stayed out of the way. Getting there so late in the season, he had no plays called for him in any game, and had no reponsibilities in them. I wanted him to block out and go for rebounds.

The Orlando fans and people who have seen him a while, know that he is still very raw and an inexperienced near-rookie and know that he will not be consistent for a while yet. We can see glimpses of greatness but also periods of a barely 21 year old kid who has played under 40 games in the NBA.

But we can 'get over it'. He is being given the chance and playing with and in front of people who have not made up their minds that he is a failure, and he is responding.

It will be interesting to see what happens this year. He will be coming back from the FIBA games in good shape and will start training came and the season, much the same as he did last year for Detroit. Wonder if there will be the same result :eyebrows: .

Don't think so :laugh: :nod: :laugh: :nod: !!!

18. hack

I like the line too, Hobbs, but it was more than just once. The Rosen story and the quotes from the Orlando management -- that's two in half a season. How many players are publicly called out for effort twice in that time, especially ones that have been %%%%%ing about PT for two years?

19. Hobbs

Hobbs First Round Draft Pick

Rosen isn't legit (he's too biased and emotionally driven to offer even the slightest bit of objectivity--and that's certainly not "out of Orlando") and please post the quotes.

Orlando was very happy with what Darko did. Their defense was 10 points better when he was in the game. They went on a huge win streak because of their improved play (not all Darko, clearly, but a significant portion was) and they almost universally believe they'll be a playoff team this year when they were a joke for most of last season (I doubt the drafting of Redick is the reason for their optimism).

20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Rosen is a little too close to the franchise for my comfort. Great writer, but his objectivity is not very, objective.